PDA

View Full Version : Compusa offering System Bulding Classes and a $99 barebone

Warpnow
September 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Obviously not performance parts but might be decent for a student PC or media center.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4959277&sku=B69-9000&SRCCODE=webjck170&cm_mmc=Email-_-Main-_-webjck170-_-Deals

Plus on September 19th, Compusa will be having a system building class from 2pm-4pm. If you are a lurker whose never built a system, this could be an amazing oppurtunity to learn how to build a machine and build one for under $200.

Now that compusa is owned by tigerdirect their everyday prices generally are very competitive with newegg's, so you can pick up all your other parts very cheaply as well if you wanted to. They have a 750gb hard drive for $69.99, 2gbs of DDR2 ram for $28, and a dvd burner for $35. Also have a 2.6ghz Pentium Dual core for $75.

Adding those together, the total cost of the computer would be $307.98, a rather affordable and very fast ubuntu machine with a huge hard drive. You could shave money off by buying a cheaper DVD burner, about $15 shaved off, and could shave maybe $20 or $30 off for a smaller hard drive.

Just thought I'd tell people about it.

NormanFLinux
September 16th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Its a heckuva good deal for a geek. If you like to learn how to build your own system for cheap - that's hard to resist!

mamamia88
September 17th, 2009, 12:11 AM
what can be cheaper than building it yourself and figuring it out as you go?

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 12:29 AM
It might be worth it for the parts, but honestly the hardest part about building a computer is picking the parts (do they go over that?) The actual putting-together is simple so long as you can match shapes.

Warpnow
September 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
It might be worth it for the parts, but honestly the hardest part about building a computer is picking the parts (do they go over that?) The actual putting-together is simple so long as you can match shapes.

Why do you say picking parts is difficult?

As long as the memory is the right type and the motherboard socket matches the cpu...

starcannon
September 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Why do you say picking parts is difficult?

As long as the memory is the right type and the motherboard socket matches the cpu...

And making sure everything is happy with your OS of choice, wifi cards, printers, video cards, motherboard chipsets...

Warpnow
September 17th, 2009, 12:50 AM
And making sure everything is happy with your OS of choice, wifi cards, printers, video cards, motherboard chipsets...

I see what you mean regarding wifi (though I don't use it), but printers and video cards are now mostly linux compatible from my experience, though sometimes features and performance are not always comparable. Never had a problem with chipsets...is that a serious concern?

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Its really just time consuming, cross checking for compatability and such. Although these days you can usually get a pretty good idea of how well it'll work by reading newegg reviews :-P Thats about all I did for this computer and it runs Linux beautifully.

Warpnow
September 17th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Its really just time consuming, cross checking for compatability and such. Although these days you can usually get a pretty good idea of how well it'll work by reading newegg reviews :-P Thats about all I did for this computer and it runs Linux beautifully.

I usually just buy things like printers. If they don't work, back in the box, and returned. Try a different one. Hehe.

markbuntu
September 17th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Compusa is long gone from my neck of the woods but we have a Microcenter nearby and they are as cheap as buying on line.