PDA

View Full Version : Why do some Ubuntu users prefer older versions?

xxhopingtearsxx
September 16th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Two threads in less than an hour.. I'm feeling curious today. I've always wondered, why do some Ubuntu users prefer using older versions of Ubuntu instead of the latest one? I understand it if you don't feel like upgrading, but some people simply choose an old distribution. Yesterday, my friend got a new laptop and told me that he is going to install Ubuntu Feisty.. I asked him why, and all he said was, "I like it".. but why?

I haven't been on Ubuntu all that much to know why. I've attempted Ubuntu installations many times and reinstalled Windows and only recently I've figured out how to create partitions thanks to my friend Jason (oscurochu)..

dmglouis
September 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM
While I like the new notifications in Jaunty, my laptop worked best in Intrepid. My wifi card had a proprietary driver and it worked splendidly. Now, I'm not sure how to get the old driver back, and I am stuck with ath9k :(

lovinglinux
September 16th, 2009, 11:29 PM
If your system is working and the release version you are using is still supported, then is just a matter of taste and needs, but using Feisty is a security risk. Ubuntu Feisty is not supported for about a year, so installing it because the user likes it is, IMO, just an attempt to look cool or geeky.

lethalfang
September 17th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Jaunty has way too many compatibility/stability issues. I shouldn't have upgraded my laptop to Jaunty from Intrepid, although I'm not in the mood to go back either.

starcannon
September 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM
I generally stick to the LTS releases unless one of the tweenleases fixes a hardware issue for me.

CharmyBee
September 17th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Because newer is not always better?

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I've never heard of anyone installing a version as out of date as Feisty. Up until recently some users had Dapper, because that was a long term support version which was supported until June I believe. Now you'll find people (including me) using Hardy, also a LTS version. But, as lovinglinux said, using an unsupported like Feisty is a definite security risk, and running it is plain daft.

zeroseven0183
September 17th, 2009, 01:59 AM

Yes, an example of that is Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Well for Ubuntu. I think the reason is the long term support (LTS). But I always prefer the latest version.

Udayakiran
September 17th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Yes, an example of that is Windows Vista and Windows XP.

Well for Ubuntu. I think the reason is the long term support (LTS). But I always prefer the latest version.

I feel windows vista is better than xp and windows 7 is better than vista.. :biggrin:

markbuntu
September 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I still have Hardy and use it a lot. It is extremely stable now with very few updates and the rt kernel works with my hardware. None of the newer ones do, they are a mess.

I have Jaunty installed and use it a lot too but will probably ditch it for Koala and then the next LTS and then migrate over once it stabilizes. I see the non\LTS releases as sort of interim steps between LTS so you can learn about the larger changes coming.

I will be building a server soon and will use either hardy or Debian Lenny because they will be supported longer and are more stable.

There is a lot ot say for long term support and stability

FuturePilot
September 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
True, newer is not always better. However Feisty isn't even supported anymore. You won't get any updates for security issues or bug fixes. At least use an older version that is still supported, otherwise you'll be leaving yourself open to problems.

misfitpierce
September 17th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Well there arent a lot of security issues to really worry about in Ubuntu/Linux. So if you like a release thats out it's pretty secure with the app's on it then go ahead and use it. Older releases tend to be lighter sometimes on resources since they don't have more packed onto them. Thats like why do people prefer XP or 2000 over Vista... Some people stick with Tiger over Snow Leopard. If you like something then stick with it.

lisati
September 17th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I've never heard of anyone installing a version as out of date as Feisty. Up until recently some users had Dapper, because that was a long term support version which was supported until June I believe. Now you'll find people (including me) using Hardy, also a LTS version. But, as lovinglinux said, using an unsupported like Feisty is a definite security risk, and running it is plain daft.

Here are two reasons:

Feisty (the first distro I used) worked great on my old laptop (since given to a nephew), and Jaunty worked on it but a bit slowly (a bit more RAM would've probably helped, but other priorites in the budget department).

I've also seen an Ubuntu book in my local library, which I think they got fairly recently. The CD with it is for Feisty......

slakkie
September 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM

It is not daft, matter of preference. God knows I stayed at 6.10 just because I didn't feel like upgrading for a long time. I had a stable OS, everything worked and I never bothered with the upgrade. What helps is to turn of those icky notifications so you are not reminded that there is a dist upgrade possible. When I finally did, I needed to change my sources.list to start the upgrade. A prime example of a stable machine that does not require updating every 6 months if the owner doesn't feel like it.

You could argue that I needed to run 6.06, but while downgrading is possible I never wanted to try it. So I stayed at the installed version. Others could have similar reasons or different reasons not to upgrade (perhaps HW support is dropped by a manufacturer in a later version).

Nowadays I run 8.04 for the LTS support and am testing Karmic on my laptop, I maintain the EOLupgrades page for people who want to upgrade their old, reliable OS to a newer version. It is all about choices. BTW, you are also able to mix and match Feisty with Gutsy packages. Some packages haven't been updated from Hardy to Karmic, similar cases could apply to Feisty packages. If you can have a Debian stable with testing and unstable mix and match OS, you can do the same with Ubuntu. Don't forget that either.

pricetech
September 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I was running 8.04 and moved to 9.04. I gained some and lost some. I decided to go back to 8.04 because the stuff I lost was worth more to me than the stuff I gained.

If I was giving advice, I'd recommend sticking with LTS as long as stuff works and only upgrading if it doesn't.

Just me.

steveneddy
September 17th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I generally stick to the LTS releases unless one of the tweenleases fixes a hardware issue for me.

I, too, prefer to use the LTS unless there is an issue or compatibility I need/want in a later version.

I currently use Intrepid and won't "upgrade" again until the next LTS.

But to use a version older than the currently supported versions is irresponsible.

Hardy has great hardware support and Intrepid does a few things a little bit better.

"Bleeding edge" versions are buggy and I learned my lesson on those in the "pre-Hardy" days.

evalckea
September 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Two threads in less than an hour.. I'm feeling curious today. I've always wondered, why do some Ubuntu users prefer using older versions of Ubuntu instead of the latest one? I understand it if you don't feel like upgrading, but some people simply choose an old distribution. Yesterday, my friend got a new laptop and told me that he is going to install Ubuntu Feisty.. I asked him why, and all he said was, "I like it".. but why?

I haven't been on Ubuntu all that much to know why. I've attempted Ubuntu installations many times and reinstalled Windows and only recently I've figured out how to create partitions thanks to my friend Jason (oscurochu)..

Until yesterday I was using Jaunty 9.04 because I came to it making upgrades from a long list of older versions, but I had to make a clean instalation, and couldn't to have configured all my hardware. Then I decided to go back to Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS and I could reconfigure all my hardware and now I'm not decided to upgrade again.

kevdog
September 20th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Why not -- a lot of new things are introduced in new kernels, but so are a lot of bugs. Take my old Intel 82830 CGC Graphics Chipset -- had a supported driver in Feisty and pre-Feisty kernels, but beginning with Gutsy, the kernel developers felt this card was "too old" and dropped support for it. I used to be able to run Compiz in Feisty -- now the device comes back as unclaimed. Newer isn't always better.

beast2k
September 21st, 2009, 12:58 AM

Dementia I figure, were all gona get there some day. ..That or they got older PC's

Dullstar
September 21st, 2009, 01:54 AM

+1

While both suck, Windows XP is still better than Windows Vista.

---

I also downloaded Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake for an older laptop. And support for that was dropped before I realized that Linux wasn't an unfriendly nightmare.

xebian
September 21st, 2009, 01:58 AM
...asked him why, and all he said was, "I like it".. but why?

There is your answer.