PDA

View Full Version : Are you using Panels or a dock on your Ubuntu?

xxhopingtearsxx
September 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I'm just curious.. I was on Flickr and I was looking up "Ubuntu Laptop" for the hell of it, and I saw that not many screenshots had a dock.. Maybe their panel color would be different and that's it.. I've been using Avant Window Navigator, and I'm starting to feel like I'm one of a few people who decided to use the dock instead of panels..

So, I'm wondering.. What are you guys using? Are you using panels (both top and bottom and maybe on the side too), or a dock?

RiceMonster
September 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
One panel at the top, regardless of DE/WM

Oh wait, I don't use Ubuntu. I don't matter :p.

xxhopingtearsxx
September 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM
One panel at the top, regardless of DE/WM

Oh wait, I don't use Ubuntu. I don't matter :p.

There goes my self esteem. )=

Anxious Nut
September 16th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Currently in openbox im running a dock and a panel; a Wbar at the top and a customized fbpanel at the bottom :)

chriskin
September 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
i use the default panels that come with gnome. somewhat customized , but one on top and one on bottom

i had my time with docks, they are not entirely what i like

Shindogo
September 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I use a dock, it just looks so much better (imo). Screenshot attached, because I like to show off. =D

SomeGuyDude
September 16th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'm all about the maximizing of space lately, so my conky/panel/tray all occupy the same thin line at the top of my screen. When I'm really big on the "physical desktop" feel, I install AWN.

The problem I found with docks is that they result in a fair amount of unusable desktop space. Sure you can auto-hide the dock but that starts to become annoying when you accidentally make the dock hop up over and over when you're just trying to quickly hit a link or something to that effect.

Or you can avoid covering the thing at all, and now there's huge gaps on either side of the dock with nothing in 'em. I used to throw conky stuff in there but that only slightly helped matters.

xxhopingtearsxx
September 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I use a dock, it just looks so much better (imo). Screenshot attached, because I like to show off. =D

Could you please tell me the theme and wallpaper you used for your desktop?
It's really pretty. :)

Shindogo
September 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Please tell me the theme and wallpaper you used for your desktop.
That is the best Ubuntu desktop with a dock I have ever seen. :)

Thanks, you just made my morning.
Dock icons are ecqlipse 2: http://chrfb.deviantart.com/art/quot-ecqlipse-2-quot-PNG-59941546
Theme is just human, can't see any of it.
Conky is just... conky.
Wallpaper: http://www.iforce.co.nz/i/hvphz0xg.jpg

dmglouis
September 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I have one panel on the top and an auto-hide dock at the bottom. I used to use AWN but lately I am digging Cairo-dock. The best part is the way the icons become larger as you move the mouse towards them (like the Mac OS X dock)

Here's a screenshot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/dmglouis/th_Screenshot-1-4.png (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/dmglouis/Screenshot-1-4.png)

xxhopingtearsxx
September 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks. And thanks for refreshing my memory unintentionally about Conky. I knew what Conky was, but forgot the name. (Was thinking B0nkerz) Lmao thanks.

oldsoundguy
September 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
i use the default panels that come with gnome. somewhat customized , but one on top and one on bottom

+1

I have the top bar set up with quick launch icons for the programs I use all the time (no menu searching), along with the standard stuff such as the A/V controls and a full bore clock (day/date/time).
Bottom panel has the programs I have launched along with the computer condition (temps, etc) monitor/program and the weather link.
I seldom go to the desktop itself except to run/install a downloaded program (which I have default to there) or to mount a drive from a networked machine for file access.

I am not a real fan of memory/processor hogging eye candy, so no real need!

blur xc
September 16th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I have one panel on the top and an auto-hide dock at the bottom. I used to use AWN but lately I am digging Cairo-dock. The best part is the way the icons become larger as you move the mouse towards them (like the Mac OS X dock)

Here's a screenshot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/dmglouis/th_Screenshot-1-4.png (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/dmglouis/Screenshot-1-4.png)

AWN has an option, I think, to zoom the icons when you hover over them. I find it horribly annoying, so I have mine just highlight a bit (don't remember what the effect is called in the settings).

So yeah, I have one panel at the top w/ Gnome Global Menu applet running, and an AWN dock at the bottom- set to be REAL slim, probably as slim as a lot of peoples' panels.

BM

apmcd47
September 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Okay, I'll bite - what is a dock? They often get mentioned, but not explained.

Andrew

dmglouis
September 16th, 2009, 09:21 PM
AWN has an option, I think, to zoom the icons when you hover over them. I find it horribly annoying, so I have mine just highlight a bit (don't remember what the effect is called in the settings).

So yeah, I have one panel at the top w/ Gnome Global Menu applet running, and an AWN dock at the bottom- set to be REAL slim, probably as slim as a lot of peoples' panels.

BM

I think AWN had the parabolic zoom at one time which mimicked the mac os x dock to a degree, but now, I'm pretty sure zoom just makes the icon the mouse is hovering over larger (not the icons beside as well)

Cairo dock's zoom is very smooth compared AWN's zoom, even its previous parabolic one.

t0p
September 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Default panels on desktop and netbook machines. I think they're wonderful. Dunno why so many people dislike them so much.

dmglouis
September 16th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Okay, I'll bite - what is a dock? They often get mentioned, but not explained.

Andrew

A dock is a graphical view of launchers, open programs and sometimes applets.

It provides an easy way to switch between programs, and open new ones.

One very stable dock is Avant Window Navigator (AWN). You can customize it to the nth degree, add applets to it, etc.

Cairo-Dock is another one, but not as stable and I think it needs compiz running.

gan1708
September 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
I too, prefer the plain old panel (though not the default, bland Ubuntu one)

Like another member stated, some people prefer maximizing their screen space. I used to use AWN and Cairo, as well as the OSX dock when I had a Mac, but they often made things feel a bit too cluttered for me. I'm not disputing their functionality, I just prefer stuff that's minimal.

I have wbar running on the OpenBox install on my netbook, but that's more of a launcher.

blur xc
September 16th, 2009, 09:37 PM

One very stable dock is Avant Window Navigator (AWN). You can customize it to the nth degree, add applets to it, etc.

Cairo-Dock is another one, but not as stable and I think it needs compiz running.

AFAIK AWN needs compiz as well. I know, because when compiz quits- my dock goes bye-bye.

BM

nothingspecial
September 16th, 2009, 09:40 PM
No panel, no dock. Simple

Chronon
September 16th, 2009, 10:17 PM
One panel at the top of the screen containing menu, quicklaunch, pager, app list, CPU load applet, system tray, clock, logout icon.

(In LXDE)

I found that I really only use a few things (mainly geany and firefox) on a regular basis. I have those set to quicklaunch. Then I can run each one full screen on separate virtual desktops and switch desktops to change which one I'm working in. Also, I use alt-tab to switch between full-screen apps running on the same desktop.

privatejarhead
September 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
i kept the top panel from GNOME in place for my menus, battery bar, network, time, logout, etc. the bottom has the Mac-like dock that's a nice dark glass color with all my used apps: firefox, OOo, terminal, a PIM (cant remember what it is), and some other small things. I've also made my top panel very glassy, so my desktop has a very clean and sexy look and feel to it ;)

privatejarhead
September 16th, 2009, 10:28 PM
No panel, no dock. Simple

how do you get to your menus and such then? im confused as to how you do this, unless you run everything in terminal

SomeGuyDude
September 16th, 2009, 10:37 PM
how do you get to your menus and such then? im confused as to how you do this, unless you run everything in terminal

The *boxes, as well as Compiz, have a right-click menu. I have mine mapped to Ctrl+Space, plus my run dialog to Super+Space. I access all my applications and such that way.

However, I can't handle not having at least a taskbar and a tray. Some can just Alt-Tab between windows and they get along just fine, so it's totally possible to scrap all panels/docks.

For the record, here's my setup. It's nice because I can actually SEE my conky:

misfitpierce
September 16th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I think AWN had the parabolic zoom at one time which mimicked the mac os x dock to a degree, but now, I'm pretty sure zoom just makes the icon the mouse is hovering over larger (not the icons beside as well)

Cairo dock's zoom is very smooth compared AWN's zoom, even its previous parabolic one.

I use a panel at top and Gnome-Do docky at the bottom... its a dock that matches osx zoom feature to a tee and can adjust how much zoom etc like mac one. I dont like mac but I enjoy a dock for use of functionality and ease of getting to all the launchers.

blur xc
September 16th, 2009, 10:52 PM
The *boxes, as well as Compiz, have a right-click menu. I have mine mapped to Ctrl+Space, plus my run dialog to Super+Space. I access all my applications and such that way.

However, I can't handle not having at least a taskbar and a tray. Some can just Alt-Tab between windows and they get along just fine, so it's totally possible to scrap all panels/docks.

For the record, here's my setup. It's nice because I can actually SEE my conky:

I use super+space to pull up my main menu. It's even more efficient (but probably not by a whole lot) than a main menu in a panel because the menu appears wherever my mouse is on the scree, rather than making me move my pointer across the screen to access it.

My only question to the panel-less and dock-less crowd is what do you do with minimized apps w/ no where for them to go?

And btw- the Scale plugin is FAR more efficient than an alt-tab app switcher.

BM

lovinglinux
September 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I use a top panel for information stuff only. The panel is set to be displayed below all other windows and I use a semi-transparent emerald border, so it doesn't take any additional space.

I also have awn dock for menu and opened windows, but I also launch applications through the "Run Application" tool, which is opened via easystroke mouse gesture.

All my logging terminals are in the widget layer, that I can access via keyboard shortcut when I need them.

Mark76
September 16th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I prefer panels to docks, though I tend to vacillate on the number of panels (sometimes one, sometimes two) and the function they serve. The top panel is almost always configured like the top panel of the Gnome desktop with a menu, quick launchers, systray, clock and shutdown button. The bottom one can either follow the Gnome paradigm (show desktop, taskbar, pager and, maybe, trashcan) or it can be used as a traditional ROS iconbar stuffed with appdirs. At the moment I'm happy with one. Especially as the pager I use has a windows switching feature :)

RabbitWho
September 16th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Two transparent panels, the top one on the right and the bottom one on the bottom.

Warpnow
September 16th, 2009, 11:46 PM
I use gnome-do docky.

And most of the docks don't actually require compiz, just compisiting. Just run xcompmgr instead if you want it more lightweight. Its in the repos.

blur xc
September 17th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I use gnome-do docky.

And most of the docks don't actually require compiz, just compisiting. Just run xcompmgr instead if you want it more lightweight. Its in the repos.

Sweet- thanks for the tip...

BM

mamamia88
September 17th, 2009, 12:24 AM
i don't like docks they take up space and you can't hide them or they just pop up when you mouse over that part of the screen which is annoying. i do use a single panel at the top though

Jesus_Valdez
September 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Top panel and AWN.

From time to time changes to default 2 panel.

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM
In traditional WM's I use a panel at bottom or top. Docks get to be a pain when you have a bunch of stuff open, like 5 or 6 different terminals...

starcannon
September 17th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I use panels.
Docks are cute, but I prefer panels; they stay outta my way, easy on system resources, and offer up all the functionality I require.

pt123
September 17th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Docks user but still need panels for the places & system menu, and the the notification area

lovinglinux
September 17th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Docks user but still need panels for the places & system menu, and the the notification area

Awn have both of them.

xxhopingtearsxx
September 17th, 2009, 02:18 AM
In traditional WM's I use a panel at bottom or top. Docks get to be a pain when you have a bunch of stuff open, like 5 or 6 different terminals...

You could use tabs though.

geoken
September 17th, 2009, 02:26 AM
I use one panel. As almost every dock user in this thread has stated, they require a panel in addition to the dock (this was my experience as well with a dock) so I figured 'why even use a dock?'.

I find panel applets to be more mature, stable and faster/lighter than dock applets as well.

matthew.ball
September 17th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I have the standard panel at the top (but removed the 3 menu items and replaced with 1 main menu), running GlobalMenu, and the time/date + little icons (wireless, volume, pidgin, updates etc).

I have GNOME-Do "Docky" running as a dock, but it only actually has a terminal shortcut, which is rather pointless (I Super+Space to run the terminal anyway).

apmcd47
September 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Traditional WMs (twm, owm, mwm etc) don't have panels.

nothingspecial
September 17th, 2009, 08:50 AM

gnome-do

Alt-F2

terminal

who needs a mouse?

hessiess
September 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
No panels, just dmenu and keyboard short cuts.

apmcd47
September 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM

So basically a panel is a "native" desk top panel as provided by KDE, Gnome, XFCE and LXDE (and even CDE) but a dock is a "3rd party" add-in?

And everything you say above can be done with panels. So there is no point in using docks, unless you choose a WM-only desktop.

Andrew

misfitpierce
September 17th, 2009, 09:09 AM
No a dock is refered to as anything similar to mac's dock or the equivilant to that. A panel is relative to something like windows taskbar and such... Along those lines.

Exodist
September 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I use panels. I like the default panel setup as it provides ease of use and efficiency. Also its unique to Gnome as I like to use Gnome and not pretend to use a Mac.

purgatori
September 17th, 2009, 11:25 AM
No panels, just dmenu and keyboard short cuts.

Likewise.

Panels don't seem to be very useful when combined with a keyboard-driven interface, such as the window-manager I use (wmii).

Tibuda
September 17th, 2009, 12:50 PM
So basically a panel is a "native" desk top panel as provided by KDE, Gnome, XFCE and LXDE (and even CDE) but a dock is a "3rd party" add-in?

And everything you say above can be done with panels. So there is no point in using docks, unless you choose a WM-only desktop.

Andrew

Yes, you are right. A dock can replace a panel, even in a full DE like Gnome or KDE.

Странник
September 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I like panels
Docks are ugly

fourtyseven
September 17th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I use panels. Not out of choice though. Ive tried to use a dock system but it does not work. Something to do with blacklisted graphics drivers.

pt123
September 18th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Awn have both of them.
But i wasn't able to configure AWN to work side by side with Docky.

I love docky.

SpriteSODA
September 18th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Docky FTW

vikrant82
September 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have tried most docks (Windows and Linux) and have settled upon cairo-dock because:

1. I really like animations on the dock to be snappy, something which you cant do on others. They like to crawl and slide and show, "see i am slding and here i gooo ..".
2. AWN looks good, but often shows some random unknown windows occasionally and ofcourse they slide pompously while they go off.
3. Lastly, cairo dock seems to be a lot more customizable.

Overall I found cairo-dock to be snappier and low on resources.

Now about the panels, The thing I hate about panels is, that if you don't auto hide them, the maximized windows will not cover them. When I want to maximize my firefox, I just want to see firefox and nothing else.The panels will keep up taking the space. Infact I find default 2 panels ridiculous, taking up so much space.

With Cairo-dock I usually allow it to be covered and it comes up if there anything that needs notification(like chat).

In gnome, autohiding panels is a disaster. They are soo slow to hide and come up. KDE 4 seems to deal much better than autohidden panels.

Hetor
September 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Used to have AWN with a panel on top, but now switched back to 2 panels. Well, they kinda don't look like panels anymore...

Mark76
September 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Now about the panels, The thing I hate about panels is, that if you don't auto hide them, the maximized windows will not cover them. When I want to maximize my firefox, I just want to see firefox and nothing else.The panels will keep up taking the space. Infact I find default 2 panels ridiculous, taking up so much space.

I don't have that problem :)

Hetor
September 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I don't have that problem :)

What DE is that?

Mark76
September 18th, 2009, 12:44 PM
It's ROX-Filer with the "session" option enabled (rox -S or rox --session), which gives you panels, a backdrop and desktop icons.

Lukios
September 25th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I use the awn from the developmental PPA package, that way I can get the "simple launcher" instead of using the awn as a task manager/launcher. I have panel with a task manager, there is no point in having a dock with one to. I just like to have the dock as easy access to the programs I use everyday, plus it can help to make your desktop look really nice.

dmglouis
September 25th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Andrew

Everything can be done with panels. However, I find panels (especially the default one on the bottom) to be a tad ugly and a waste of space. With a dock, I just hover the mouse near the bottom and I scroll through the launchers/open programs on it. It's just personal preference. Although, panels are probably a lot more stable and resource-efficient than docks.

Lightstar
September 25th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Panel on top, not expanded, centered (takes maybe half of the screen width at the moment)

Dock at the bottom.
I was using Cairo dock last week, now with AWN

theZoid
September 28th, 2009, 10:08 AM
AFAIK AWN needs compiz as well. I know, because when compiz quits- my dock goes bye-bye.

BM

Enable compositing in Metacity and you won't need compiz or xcompmgr for the docks, etc.

Chame_Wizard
September 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I use 1 panel,but I resize and customize it.

Kwin FTW.:lolflag:

kirsis
September 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Gnome-do with Docky theme

I suffer from the windowitis syndrome and a panel just don't cut it (nor AWN). Since Gnome-Do groups icons per application not per window, I can get away with a ton of open windows :)

Bachstelze
September 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Panels, because that's what it comes with by default. Panels and docks are equally fine to me, so I just stick with whatever comes by default.

fabounet
September 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Cairo-Dock can also group windows by applications (in sub-docks, which is pretty convenient)

Jekshadow
October 2nd, 2009, 03:09 PM
Still have the top panel, but I use a dock instead of the bottom.

hoppipolla
October 2nd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Panels. I have tried docks but I can never really get into them ._.