PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do you ajust the screen to a lcd tv

klein de usa
September 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM
hi
i have an 52" lcd tv, and i have hooked up one of my computers to it, i'm running 8.04.3. my problem is the desk top is a little high and a little far to the left is there some way to adjust it?

baltadt
September 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I have a 42 " and have not found a way to adjust it. I did lower the resalution (spelling?) and that made the screen more of a square and could see the whole desktop.

klein de usa
September 16th, 2009, 11:57 PM
i'm thinking there should be some way to adjust it in the xorg file.

freackout
September 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM
i'm thinking there should be some way to adjust it in the xorg file.

have you tried the settings on the telly (funny init) could not help myself) :-) sorry no it will most likely be a resolution setting or a wide screen format setting ect
native frontend/backend screen resolution settings on your (configure x settings) try reconfiguring x to suit. or use envyng it may help. it will also get the latest driver for you.

wirepuller134
September 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
How are you hooked to the television? The television, should have pc settings to fine adjust the picture it displays. This should be covered by the owners manual for the television as well as the native resolution for the television. Good luck and enjoy!!

LowSky
September 17th, 2009, 12:44 AM
on my TV all I had to do was go into the tv menu go to adjust screen, and it refit the image. Also make sure that the refresh rate form your computer is correct, too high can cause issues

klein de usa
September 17th, 2009, 02:33 AM
the resolution is fine the desk top needs to move about 3/4 of an inch to the right and down about 3/4 of an inch, when you click on applications and the menu drops down you just see the words not the icons to the left of the words in the menu.there is plenty of room on the tv because there is a black strip to the right and at the bottom of the screen. and it is that way no mater what screen size i set the tv for.

cariboo
September 17th, 2009, 02:42 AM
On my Samsung 32" LCD TV the adjusting is done in the menu of the TV. It has a gee-whiz adjustment the centers and resizes the desktop to run at the native resolution of the TV, in my case 1360X768 when using the vga connector.

oldsoundguy
September 17th, 2009, 02:48 AM
echo caraboo907 .. screen position is not determined by the source (computer software) but by the settings on the destination (the display itself). these can be on screen settings using the remote or physical controls mounted on the unit.
Resolution is determined by the source settings. And on some you can fill the screen by changing the refresh rate when you change the resolution.

klein de usa
September 17th, 2009, 02:58 AM
ok i fixed it i had the resolution set to high in ubuntu after setting it to 1024x768 the screen fits perfect, even at 1024x768 everything looks good just big lol if i go to system preferences my menu list the pops out id 24 inches long lol

this tv is about 7 years old i'm lucky it has an dsub connector, i can change the screen size but that is about it.

thanks for all the help