PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Thinkpad problems with Jaunty

EddyMac
September 16th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I have an old IBM R31 Thinkpad that has been running Ubuntu 8.04 perfectly since it was launched. Recently I decided to install 9.04 but the fonts appeared smeared and then became blocky and unreadable.

The laptop has an Intel 830 video card and I know that there were some problems with the intel drivers in Jaunty but I thought that this was to do with all the clever graphic effects, not normal text display. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

neurostu
September 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
have you tried thinkwiki.org, they tend to be a good resource for thinkpad model laptops?

EddyMac
September 17th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I had a look at thinkwiki, thanks for the pointer, but I can't see anything that refers to this problem. It seems weird that everything works fine in Hardy but 'upgrading' to Jaunty breaks something as basic as simple text display. I'll keep looking and hope there's a solution out there somewhere - I'd hate to have to dump Ubuntu after all this time!

tgalati4
September 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Downgrade to 8.04 or wait for Koala at the end of Oct.
Now is a good time to put in a larger harddisk. Western Digitial makes a nice 320 GB drive which is the max for your IDE/PATA connection. That allows you to partition the drive and have both Hardy (which works for you) and Koala (which may or may not work.)

LewRockwell
September 17th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Downgrade to 8.04 or wait for Koala at the end of Oct.
Now is a good time to put in a larger harddisk. Western Digitial makes a nice 320 GB drive which is the max for your IDE/PATA connection. That allows you to partition the drive and have both Hardy (which works for you) and Koala (which may or may not work.)

maxing out the ram would be money and time better spent

sure, if it needs a new hard drive then you'll obviously need to do that as well

to wit:

brand new laptops and netbooks are selling at all major retailers for $300.00 to $400.00

these are name brand, new in box, full warranty machines with some of the latest hardware and software

of course, with new machines being so inexpensive, the used market is being pushed down as well

we are only making offers on certain equipment...and then only at pennies on the dollar...

one gentleman replied that he would rather smash it with a hammer than sell it that inexpensively...

we told him we sell hammers too!

go figure!

EddyMac
September 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the responses. It appears that this is a known bug in Jaunty that won't be fixed until the arrival of the Koala. :(