PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] General Lagginess with Alps Touchpad

ElTimo
September 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I've had this problem since time immemorial, and I've yet to find a fix for it. Movement on Alps GlidePoint Touchpad lags by about 1/20th of a second or so, and tapping takes a good quarter of a second before it's recognized as a click. Luckily, I have a TrackPoint (nipple mouse, for those less proper among us), but it has a tendency to start drifting randomly. I've heard rumblings about a Linux driver for Alps pads, but have yet to find anything about it. Can someone please advise? I'm getting sick of using the stick mouse, and my touchpad is too slow to be enjoyable.

myandylai
October 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Recently I purchase a HP CQ40 series laptop with ALPS Touchpad unlucky. I am having the same problem. Is anyone out there know how to configure it correctly kindly reply. Thanks for the help.

yotam
October 17th, 2009, 07:45 AM
You may consider trying my Alps driver in
http://www.medini.org/software/alps/alps.html (www.medini.org/software/alps/alps.html)
-- yotam

sumi76
November 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hi Folks!

I had exactly the same problem after upgrading from Jaunty to Karmic.
I have an Acer TravelMate 290 series with ALPS Touchpad. Drove me crazy...
After a good deal of time I've found a configuration guide (http://www.bhagwad.com/blog/2009/technology/configure-alps-synaptics-touchpad-in-ubuntu-904-jaunty-jackalope.html) where a certain
GPointing Device Settings was mentioned.
It seems, that at the time there was no GUI available, but I checked it in
the Synaptic Package Manager and found this package: gpointing-device-settings
Installed, and ran it via Alt+F2 (couldn't figure out where it is...).
Set Touchpad on in the General tab and checked Enable faster tapping on the Tapping tab.
That made the trick, my touchpad works as usual.

Hope it helps!

Another option without installing anything:

synclient manages the touchpad in my case (my xorg.conf doesn't contain an input.device section),
so open terminal window and type synclient -l
It lists the settings for the touchpad. Search for FastTaps. If it's 0, change it to 1 by typing
synclient FastTaps=1

I agree with the author of the config guide I mentioned above, there should be a GUI for detailed touchpad settings.
Of course one can play with the command line if there's enough time for it...

Good day for all!

sumi76
November 5th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Meanwhile it turned out, that the value for FastTaps changes back to 0 after reboot.
So I went back to the first option (installed gpointing-device-settings), and now the
value for FastTaps stays 1 after restart.

There's one more thing I observed. When I first installed the gpointing GUI the settings I made there were altered after closing the window and opening it again (even though the Enable faster tapping still worked). The touchpad was set to OFF whereas it was up and running. After removing gpointing and disabling "touchpad while typing" option in the System > Preferences > Mouse > Touchpad tab I reinstalled the GUI again and since than it is working like a charm.

It would be useful to know why the settings made in command line are changed back to
default after reboot (there are 2 I know of: TouchpadOff and FastTaps).

Any ideas?

ElTimo
January 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I know this thread is dead, but I tried to compile the ALPS driver on Karmic 64 bit and I got the following error:
tim@Cygnus-X1:~/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706$ make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tim/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/tim/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706/src'
CXX Alps.lo
Alps.cc: In member function ‘void Alps::readInput()’:
Alps.cc:481: error: invalid conversion from ‘long unsigned int (*)(_OsTimerRec*, long unsigned int, void*)’ to ‘CARD32 (*)(_OsTimerRec*, CARD32, void*)’
Alps.cc:481: error: initializing argument 4 of ‘_OsTimerRec* TimerSet(_OsTimerRec*, int, CARD32, CARD32 (*)(_OsTimerRec*, CARD32, void*), void*)’
make[2]: *** [Alps.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tim/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tim/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Does the CARD32 have anything to do with the OS being 32 bit? If so, is there any way to fix it?

marcopl
March 19th, 2010, 10:36 AM
bro, this thread is not dead !!!! i have been using karmic for quite sometime now but uptill now, i cant get my alps touchpad to work !!!!!! AAAAHHHHHHH

i have a hp compaq cq40 laptop. Did u ever solve yr problem?

I know this thread is dead, but I tried to compile the ALPS driver on Karmic 64 bit and I got the following error:
tim@Cygnus-X1:~/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706$ make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/tim/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/tim/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706/src'
CXX Alps.lo
Alps.cc: In member function ‘void Alps::readInput()’:
Alps.cc:481: error: invalid conversion from ‘long unsigned int (*)(_OsTimerRec*, long unsigned int, void*)’ to ‘CARD32 (*)(_OsTimerRec*, CARD32, void*)’
Alps.cc:481: error: initializing argument 4 of ‘_OsTimerRec* TimerSet(_OsTimerRec*, int, CARD32, CARD32 (*)(_OsTimerRec*, CARD32, void*), void*)’
make[2]: *** [Alps.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tim/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/tim/Downloads/alps-2009-10-16-1706'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Does the CARD32 have anything to do with the OS being 32 bit? If so, is there any way to fix it?