PDA

View Full Version : Do you report bugs?

HappyFeet
September 16th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Just wondering who is trying to help make ubuntu better.

For those that think they can't make a difference, here's an example of a regular user (me) making a difference: I downloaded the latest kubuntu 9.10 last night, loaded up the live cd, began installing, and when I got to the partitioning part, the ubiquity installer kept crashing. It kept prompting me to report the crash. I clicked the link they provided and attached the log files they requested, and lo and behold, a fix was committed 10 hours later.

YOU can make a difference. Please people, help make ubuntu the best it can be by testing. If possible, please use a spare hard drive and try to avoid virtualbox. A real install will give a much better experience (bug wise) as virtualbox is too controlled of an environment to give real world results.

Rock on! :guitar:

Paqman
September 16th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Absolutely. If you don't want to take the plunge all the way into unstable Karmicland, you can enable apport on the stable releases. Especially if you suspect you've got an app that might be misbehaving.

Just make sure you're not submitting tons of duplicate bugs! (Although Launchpad has got a lot better at helping avoid dupes lately anyway)

How to enable apport (http://takewii.com/index.php?q=aHR0cHM6Ly93aWtpLnVidW50dS5jb20vQXBwb3 J0#How%20to%20enable%20apport)

khelben1979
September 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I usually report bugs for the distribution I'm using, yes.

koleoptero
September 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Where's the poll? :confused:

sanderj
September 16th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I must say I report bugs less and less.

Reason: I see too little useful response back.

I've seen too often this behaviour:
- My bug report on a Alpha version. No response at all. Then, after some months, just a few days before the release date, the bug is reported a duplicate of another bug.
- My bug report on a Alpha/Beta version. Then, after 1.5 year (!), a question from someone "Do you still encounter the problem? If not, I'll close the bug. You can re-open if you want to.".
- Bug reports that go completely unanswered or unresolved.

So, I get very little useful response on bug reports.
I now consider this option: If bug reports are useful for the developers (and not for me as a user), I could report a bug, and then unsubscribe after a two week period of no (useful) response.

juancarlospaco
September 16th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Where's the poll? :confused:

it was stoled.

I report Bugs, but not all bugs are Bugs, and not all bugs need response,
because some Bugs are [needs-packaging], [sync-request] and such...

Paqman
September 17th, 2009, 07:28 AM
I must say I report bugs less and less.

Reason: I see too little useful response back.

That's always a bit disappointing, but the goods news is that you can do something about it. You don't need to be a code monkey to help with bugs:

Helping with bugs (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HelpingWithBugs)