PDA

View Full Version : I knew it all along but didn't knew the words

Derek Djons
February 7th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Already since I started to use Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary Hedgehog there was a change which I couldn't give a name. More and more often there were minutes I was browsing the preferences menu without reason, running update manager several times a day and etc. [-(

At first I really couldn't understand why I was doing that. But today I realized it all. Finally I'm really working. Especially since I quit the job at the computer store (making and repairing Windows computers on a daily base). Setting up Ubuntu is just childplay (except for specific hardware / software maybe) and configuring is also just an hour or two. But after that it's just pure working, enjoying and spending all your free time doing nice things. This instead of maintaing your virusscanner definitions, instead of maintaining and executing spyware / adware scans, instead of troubleshooting and instead of solving Darth Vader's "Blue Screen of Death". :twisted:

Since three days I'm running Ubuntu Linux also on my workstation. I've made an Dual Boot since I still find joy playing games and use it to quickly modify content on my iPod. But now and then I'm still surprised how much time I spend cleaning my Windows installation, sweeping the computer and troubleshooting frickin' problems which seem never to be solved. [-(

Can't we make the release date of Ubuntu Linux a international celebration day or something \\:D/

matthew
February 7th, 2006, 08:52 PM
But today I realized it all. Finally I'm really working.This sums up the reason I love Ubuntu and Linux. I finally get to use my computer to do things rather than spend all my time maintaining/serving my computer.

xequence
February 7th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Congrats on really working =P

But heh. I dont know if I will ever understand peoples problems with windows... BSOD is sooo windows ME =P

tseliot
February 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
...This instead of maintaing your virusscanner definitions, instead of maintaining and executing spyware / adware scans, instead of troubleshooting and instead of solving Darth Vader's "Blue Screen of Death"...
Troubleshooting??? I thought those were features...:p

Windows users, don't be offended I'm just kidding ;)

skirkpatrick
February 7th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah, now I have time to sit hear and chat with you guys :mrgreen:

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Already since I started to use Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary Hedgehog there was a change which I couldn't give a name. More and more often there were minutes I was browsing the preferences menu without reason, running update manager several times a day and etc. [-(

At first I really couldn't understand why I was doing that. But today I realized it all. Finally I'm really working. Especially since I quit the job at the computer store (making and repairing Windows computers on a daily base). Setting up Ubuntu is just childplay (except for specific hardware / software maybe) and configuring is also just an hour or two. But after that it's just pure working, enjoying and spending all your free time doing nice things. This instead of maintaing your virusscanner definitions, instead of maintaining and executing spyware / adware scans, instead of troubleshooting and instead of solving Darth Vader's "Blue Screen of Death". :twisted:

Since three days I'm running Ubuntu Linux also on my workstation. I've made an Dual Boot since I still find joy playing games and use it to quickly modify content on my iPod. But now and then I'm still surprised how much time I spend cleaning my Windows installation, sweeping the computer and troubleshooting frickin' problems which seem never to be solved. [-(

Can't we make the release date of Ubuntu Linux a international celebration day or something \\:D/

I actually think I spend more time tinkering with Linux then I used to under Windows... strange, huh?
And let us stop arguing about BSODs... I haven't seen one for a long, long time.. It is time that we stopped being Linux zealots and started facing real life. I love Linux. I love Ubuntu. But I don't let it rule my entire life anymore, now.

wrtpeeps
February 7th, 2006, 11:16 PM
i found i was never done fiddling with linux. There was always some setting hiding that would make it run better. It was always hiding in some file that you would never think of looking in.

tseliot
February 7th, 2006, 11:16 PM
...BSODs... I haven't seen one for a long, long time..
Me neither. ...Wait I don't use Windows anymore :p No, Seriously I think you're right about your statement I'm quoting below:

It is time that we stopped being Linux zealots and started facing real life. I love Linux. I love Ubuntu. But I don't let it rule my entire life anymore, now.

prizrak
February 7th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah I haven't seen BSOD's much since I went to 2K in well 2K :) (actually I think it was before then). I will agree with cleaning though, even when I ran Firefox/Tbird I had to clean up the spywares, defrag, clean the registry, clean temp files, etc....

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah I haven't seen BSOD's much since I went to 2K in well 2K :) (actually I think it was before then). I will agree with cleaning though, even when I ran Firefox/Tbird I had to clean up the spywares, defrag, clean the registry, clean temp files, etc....

Yes, that's true. Virus scanning and anti spyware proggies always took up some of my time, though I never bothered with cleaning the registry.

Mathias-K
February 7th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I actually think I spend more time tinkering with Linux then I used to under Windows... strange, huh?
And let us stop arguing about BSODs... I haven't seen one for a long, long time.. It is time that we stopped being Linux zealots and started facing real life. I love Linux. I love Ubuntu. But I don't let it rule my entire life anymore, now.

Agreed. Ubuntu is not problem free, far from it actually :) I think the average Linux user tinkers with his OS 2-3 times more than the average Windows user.

matthew
February 7th, 2006, 11:48 PM
And let us stop arguing about BSODs... I haven't seen one for a long, long time.. It is time that we stopped being Linux zealots and started facing real life. I love Linux. I love Ubuntu. But I don't let it rule my entire life anymore, now.I actually had good luck with XP, but I still ran a virus scanner, hard drive defragmenter, spyware detecter/cleaner and firewall. With Ubuntu I use a firewall and I know how to scan for and clean viruses, but that doesn't happen often. Neither take significant amounts of time. I didn't get a lot of BSOD's under XP, but when I ran ME... I agree with LI here, I certainly do a lot more tinkering with Linux, but it's because I want to and I enjoy it and I do it in the time I save by not doing all the maintence I just mentioned I used to do.

Oh, believe me, I have a huge life away from Ubuntu/Linux...this is just a fun sideline when I need a quick break. My kids, wife, friends and guitars get more of my attention. :)

wrtpeeps
February 7th, 2006, 11:49 PM
i agree, except i think that tinkering in linux is different from in windows. In windows you are trying to stop freakin virus' and crap all the time. In linux, you are tweaking for the right reasons!

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Agreed. Ubuntu is not problem free, far from it actually :) I think the average Linux user tinkers with his OS 2-3 times more than the average Windows user.

That's because we are power users...most of us Linux users switched because we love to tinker with our OSes, and under Linux we have more freedom to do so..

Kvark
February 8th, 2006, 12:09 AM
That's because we are power users...most of us Linux users switched because we love to tinker with our OSes, and under Linux we have more freedom to do so..
Perheps most Linux users but not all. I switched primarily because I hate to pet with an OS and was tired of playing doctor with Windows. The best thing about Ubuntu next after the licence is IMO that once it works it keeps working without wasting the user's time on any maintenance petting.

Mathias-K
February 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM

My comment was pointed to those who wrote that going Ubuntu would mean less tinkering with their OS to get it to work properly. Most of my non-tech savvy friends and family members run Windows XP without tinkering with it more than a few our every other month.

That makes some of the points of the Linux zealots start to crumble :)

ice60
February 8th, 2006, 02:39 AM
my XP has always been setup to not show BSOD by default - i've never had one because of it. there's a setting in Startup and Recovery which lets you decide how it will react with problems - i think i get a popup instead which asks to debug or shutdown whatever is having problems, or maybe it shows the Stop Message i can't remember.

towsonu2003
February 8th, 2006, 05:42 AM
there is one con though. you don't update ativirus databases, run spyware tests, struggle with word glitches (soooo many in my work computer), troubleshoot crappy software you bought, which screwed your registry etc. so you get bored!

I am missing :rolleyes: the days I had to re-install windows (which I have to do again soon) everytime a piece of crappy software borked itself tru the registry... and uninstall "default" spyware after the fresh install.. and update... and install antivirus... and anti spyware... and run antivirus... and spyware... and more update... do you know how long and how many reboots it takes to update a Windows XP (not SP2) using a dial up modem from ground up???

PS. all things constant, I miss the comfort of installing all drivers by clicking on things in my drivers cd...