PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer OpenSuse or Mandriva?Why?

colau
September 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Which do you prefer OpenSuse or Mandriva?Why?

speedwell68
September 16th, 2009, 03:27 PM
TBH I have never got on with either.

madjr
September 16th, 2009, 03:33 PM
i tried both like a year ago, great distros and i hear they've gotten much better since then. But i would give opensuse a go since they're the ones whom got the most improvements and their live distro creation thing is too cool.

NightwishFan
September 16th, 2009, 03:59 PM
I used to use OpenSUSE as my main distro. I recently tried Mandriva. It is interesting, and very professional feeling, but it feels like a Windows Home, when there is a Windows Premium available. The control panel did not work very well for me either.

I would say try OpenSUSE. YaST is a great tool for managing a system.

Simian Man
September 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Both are great distros, but I like OpenSuse better. It has a very polished feel to both the KDE and Gnome desktops.

gnomeuser
September 16th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I tend to enjoy openSUSE, the mood in their community feels more mature. You just don't get those tiresome prolonged rapid uninformed anti-microsoft trolls, really you never did not even before they got bought by Novell.

I enjoy interacting with their developers, they are mature, polite and thankful when you take the time to tell them that there is a problem.

The downside is that the distro itself is less polished, the development seems a bit closed off and there seems to be no roadmap for what will be in a given release (akin to the Fedora Feature List).

I am not a bit YaST fan, to me it always felt like a bit clunky tool that ran a scary amount of code as root.

Don't get me wrong Mandriva is nice as well but historically I have had problems getting them to take bug reports seriously.

Dragonbite
September 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I've used openSUSE and not Mandriva.

OpenSUSE does look pretty polished but some issues crop up that makes me think "huh?".

NightwishFan
September 16th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I've used openSUSE and not Mandriva.

OpenSUSE does look pretty polished but some issues crop up that makes me think "huh?".

That is the reason why I stopped using it. :)

HermanAB
September 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have found that Linux has now matured to the point where it matters little which distribution you use. The good old bad old days are long gone and even the laggards (RHEL, Debian, BSD) are pretty good.

RiceMonster
September 16th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I am not a bit YaST fan, to me it always felt like a bit clunky tool that ran a scary amount of code as root.

Agreed.

SunnyRabbiera
September 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Mandriva's biggest weakness is keeping up to date, want Firefox 3.5 and KDE 4.3?
Factory seems to be the only option, Mandriva has no real community driven repos.
At least Ubuntu has PPA's and openSUSE has the Mozilla repo.

Nburnes
September 16th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I've only used openSUSE and I would say it is rather nice. Haven't yet got around to Madriva yet, have an iso and everything just never burned it.

cmay
September 16th, 2009, 05:13 PM
My first two linux distributions was mandriva powerpack and before that Opensuse.
I stopped using these as there was more logic for me in debian sarge/etch and later I found ubuntu dapper drake. and stuck with it up to now. (ubuntu that is)

I would choose mandriva again if I should pick between any of of them and i would prefer to pay for mandriva powerpack over the opensuse distribution as box set.

But I wont install any rpm based distribution today unless there is some really compelling reason to. I just like .deb better for no particular reason other than I remeber I as beginner had a hard time getting used to the open suse package management.

dawnlove
September 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I have OpenSuse 11 with KDE 3.5 on one of my home computers because I like KDE 3.5 and mostly because suse supports sata motherbord raid (false). I had to do allot of work to speed up suse(the striped raid helps) but with a fast computer with allot of ram its a great computer O.S. Mandriva might support false raid?

HappyFeet
September 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I prefer mandriva simply because it has worked better for me. That said, nothing will replace my beloved ubuntu as my distro of choice.

ukripper
September 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I like opensuse but don't use it anymore. Prefer apt and dpkg package management

NormanFLinux
September 16th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I do like PCLOS. A KDE derived distro based off Mandriva. Easy to set up and RPM package management gets taken care of through Synaptic. Its the easiest RPM Linux I've ever found!

Greg
September 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Certain things about OpenSuse are pretty cool, like the whole one click install thing. They also have a great wiki.