PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Drivers for Dell

Adam_TechSupport
September 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Hi All.

I'm taking the plunge and looking to move to the dark side away from Windows. I have downloaded and burnt the ISO for Ubuntu 9.4 and have a laptop to install the OS on, its a Dell Latitude D620.

My first question is how do I obtain Ubuntu compatable drivers, and secondly, is there a user guide I can download from somewhere to get me started?

Thanks

Adam

hansdown
September 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the forum Adam_TechSupport.

Try here.
http://www.google.ca/search?q=ubuntu+drivers+for+Dell+Latitude+D620&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

And here.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd620/en/index.htm

zvacet
September 16th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Ubuntu should work well on Dell.Maybe will be better to try dual boot first,and if you like Ubuntu you can always remove Windows partition.Even live CD will show you how Ubuntu work on your laptop.So,try live CD first,and if you like it install it.For any help just post here and somebody will answer.

Adam_TechSupport
September 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I like the idea of Live CD, how do I get hold of it? Is it a seperate download?

Thanks

Adam

zvacet
September 16th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Iso you burned is live CD.Set BIOS to boot from CD ( or press F12) and start Ubuntu live session.

Adam_TechSupport
September 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM
cheers dude. I'm impressed with this already being able to run Ubuntu of a CD, gives me a chance to have a look around and test things out.

Adam_TechSupport
September 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hi Everyone. I've installed Ubuntu to duel boot and it works great, there is only one problem I might encounter. I would like to use this at work when I am more 'savvy' with Linux, but we use XP/Vista and office 2007, I know I can use Evolution to get my email from Exchange but I'll need to be able to view docs, spreadsheets, etc that will be in office format. Does an Office for Linux exist?

Thanks

Adam

karamu
September 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Absolutely- Open Office comes as default with Ubuntu- it is not quite as powerful as MS Office but for general use it is great.

flameijpzmt
September 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Iso you burned is live CD.Set BIOS to boot from CD

Adam_TechSupport
September 18th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks Karamu. Just taken a look at OpenOffice and I can save docs in office 97 format which will work with 2007.

I guess the last thing I will need is a VM that I can run XP on as I'll still need to use apps that are only XP compatible and I can't stick them on TS.

Cheezespread
September 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
You can try the Virtual box . I believe its there in the repos.
You can try this terminal

sudo aptitude search virtualbox-ose
or Search for virtualbox-ose in Synaptic.

Adam_TechSupport
September 23rd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Ok I managed to get a copy of virtual box down but I can't install it, see here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1273480 :oops: