PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] apt-get not resolving dependencies?

omfgbunnies
September 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm having terrible trouble here. After two fresh installs (9.04 server lts) I'm a bit further on with installing Deluge (http://www.deluge-torrent.org), but now am up against apt-get's refusal to resolve dependencies.

I added

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/deluge-team/ubuntu jaunty main universe

to the /etc/apt/sources.list file, and did the GPG fix mentioned here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1056099) (as apt-get update wouldn't work until this was done) - however when I come to install Deluge, I'm thrown up this error:

# apt-get install deluge
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
deluge: Depends: python (>= 2.5) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python-support (>= 0.7.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: deluge-common (= 1.1.9+dfsg-2~jaunty~ppa1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python-glade2 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python-notify but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python-dbus but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

It's slightly different to what I received the first time, because one of the many pages I visited on my endless trawl through Google mentioned they'd had success after uninstalling python and reinstalling it. The problem I have is that when I try to install python alone, it gives me similar errors:

# apt-get install python
Building dependency tree
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
python: Depends: python-minimal (= 2.5.2-3ubuntu1) but 2.6.2-0ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

I have trawled the Deluge FAQs and forums but can't seem to find an answer. Where can I go from here? I'm at a total loss, as I'm not an expert on Ubuntu, and have no intention to put an X server on the box.

Help much appreciated :)

zvacet
September 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
sudo apt-get -f install

or you can try

sudo aptitude install deluge

omfgbunnies
September 16th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately the first command (which I have tried previously) does this:

# apt-get -f install
Building dependency tree
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

And the second command did exactly what I wanted, thankyou! :)

How on earth does one way fail so miserably?

omfgbunnies
September 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Of course, if it ever were that simple...

# deluge
[ERROR ] 17:21:22 config:293 Error backing up old config..
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72: GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
"glade/queuedtorrents.glade"))
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:60: Warning: value "TRUE" of type `gboolean' is invalid or out of range for property `visible' of type `gboolean'
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:76: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
gtk.TreeViewColumn(_("Torrent"), gtk.CellRendererText(), text=0))
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/queuedtorrents.py:76: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
gtk.TreeViewColumn(_("Torrent"), gtk.CellRendererText(), text=0))
[ERROR ] 17:21:23 config:293 Error backing up old config..
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
"glade/main_window.glade"))
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_settings_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: g_object_get: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: Warning: value "TRUE" of type `gboolean' is invalid or out of range for property `visible' of type `gboolean'
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_theme_get_for_screen: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_size_lookup_for_settings: assertion `GTK_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: Invalid icon size 1

/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/deluge/ui/gtkui/mainwindow.py:63: GtkWarning: gtk_icon_theme_load_icon: assertion `GTK_IS_ICON_THEME (icon_theme)' failed
Segmentation fault

I guess Python is knackered?

wojox
September 16th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Your trying to download a GUI to the server. That's what's giving you the GTK+ errors.

You would probably be better of downloading a command line version:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-command-line-bittorrent-client.html

omfgbunnies
September 16th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Deluge has a CLI.

I missed a part of it and it seems

# deluge -u console

launches the cli version.

Seems sorted. Thanks.