PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What does each line in the menu.lst stand for?

tonysonney
September 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
title Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.30.6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30.6 root=UUID=3234321-9a0c-bcadaa-e8b3a ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30.6
quiet

I I know title means what should be shown at boot up? What are the rest? I assume 'ro' means read only. What is quet and splash? Thanks in advance

Tony

mo0nykit
September 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Hello! I'm no expert, but I'll give it a try

root indicates which storage device the boot loader should look into for the OS
kernel is the path to the compressed kernel (hence the name vmlinuz, with a z)
initrd is the path to the ramdisk (i can't really explain its role in the boot-up process)

I hope that helps :)

Sub101
September 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM
And quiet and splash mean, it will show Usplash on bootup rather than text.

ajgreeny
September 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
If you just remove the word "quiet" from the line you will still get the splash, together with a minimal text output, which some people prefer.

Paqman
September 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
If you're really interested in learning how the nitty-gritty of Grub works, i'd chill for a few weeks. The new version that will be shipped with Karmic is quite different. No point in stuffing your head with learnings that'll be useless in a few weeks time! :)

Having said that, the actual question you asked is common to both, they're just found in different files.

tonysonney
September 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Hmm Thanks guys. But do any of you know what is meant by ramdisk? And the grub and menu.lst is universal for all linux. Isnt it?

mo0nykit
September 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
@tonysonney
A little history :) LILO (LInux LOader) was used before GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader). But today GRUB is intended to eventually completely replace LILO. As for ramdisk, someone else might be able to explain :)

LewRockwell
September 16th, 2009, 03:48 PM
@tonysonney
A little history :) LILO (LInux LOader) was used before GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader). But today GRUB is intended to eventually completely replace LILO. As for ramdisk, someone else might be able to explain :)

Search Engine 101:

key in "wiki" and "ramdisk" and press enter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_disk

LewRockwell
September 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
If you're really interested in learning how the nitty-gritty of Grub works, i'd chill for a few weeks. The new version that will be shipped with Karmic is quite different. No point in stuffing your head with learnings that'll be useless in a few weeks time! :)

Having said that, the actual question you asked is common to both, they're just found in different files.

True, Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala will be released with a new grubloader

However, it is false that the old grubloader will somehow evaporate from hundreds of millions of fully functioning machines all across the globe

Search Engine 101:

key "wiki" and "grubloader" and press enter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

drs305
September 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Grub 2 will not automatically replace Grub (legacy) on updates. It will only be installed by default on clean installs in Karmic.

There is a link in my signature line to an introduction to Grub 2.

Paqman
September 16th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Grub 2 will not automatically replace Grub (legacy) on updates. It will only be installed by default on clean installs in Karmic.

True, my apologies if I freaked anyone out. Should have been clearer about that.

tonysonney
September 17th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Thank you all very much! That was a lot of info!

Tony

mo0nykit
September 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
@tonysonney
You're always welcome! If you believe your question has been answered, kindly mark this thread as solved, using the Thread Tools. You can do this for threads that you start :D

tonysonney
September 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Will do.. I did not know that I can close a thread as solved. Good to know about that.
Cheers,
Tony