PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Sound from laptop speakers, but not from Audigy

nitroguy
September 16th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Ok, so I've searched, searched, searched, and wasted a night trying to figure it out, so instead of wasting another day, or screwing up my system more, I'm going to post.

I've got an old laptop I'm trying to revive as a "pandora box" - use it just as a place to run pandora, and it sits on top of my receiver. I have an Audigy 2zx card in it, which I'd like to get working.

I pluged in my Audigy, and xubuntu recognized it, and I can turn volumes up and down, mute and unmute, all that. But no matter what I play, it comes out the laptop speakers.

I tried to disable the onboard sound card in my bios, but it's an old laptop, and I couldn't find where in the bios to disable that.

So, since everything's showing up, and the card works (I turn on the laptop with the card in and stereo on, and halfway through boot I hear a "thump" in the speakers, like output is going through the card), but I can't get the music to come through the card. And this is with Pandora or the Movie Player.

Any help is appreciated. I think it's an easy fix, as all the ducks seemed to be lined up, there's probably just something stupid I need to do to make it all happen.

Thanks.

nitroguy
September 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM
No one?

nitroguy
September 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Oh come on...someone's gotta know!

HappyFeet
September 17th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Right click your speaker icon and select open volume control. Play around with the settings. Also check in preferences.