PDA

View Full Version : confessions of a geek

chris200x9
September 16th, 2009, 04:18 AM
forgive me father I have sinned I hard rebooted my computer and I orphaned a poor inode...

what are your "confessions"?
:P

Tipped OuT
September 16th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I wiped Linux off my hard drive the other day, and replaced it with Windows 7.

Jim!
September 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I don't seed torrents on the rare occasions that I download them.
The wireless Internet I'm using doesn't belong to me.
I'm guilty of spamming.

aldld
September 16th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I have an extremely slow internet connection.

geekygirl
September 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I own a Macbook Pro

Nevon
September 16th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Uhm... When I replaced the DVD burner on my girlfriend's computer I didn't move the jumper on the new drive to the same position as it was on the old one, and it took me over an hour to figure out why it wouldn't work.

That's the only thing I can come up with, I'm afraid.

CJ Master
September 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I use Goto.

*hears shotgun *****

dsavi
September 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I didn't build my computer myself, I ordered it.

Jim!
September 16th, 2009, 07:13 AM
I didn't build my computer myself, I ordered it.
That's horrible.

Barrucadu
September 16th, 2009, 07:31 AM
I have only just switched to the wonder that is btrfs :(

NovaAesa
September 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I use Goto.

*hears shotgun *****

*serious face*

:|||||||||||||||

lisati
September 16th, 2009, 07:50 AM
I have Win98SE on one machine connected to my home network with absolutely no anti-malware software installed.

I'm submitting this post while I'm running Vista and another machine is rendering some video using software currently running under XP.

One of my desktops has two network cards installed, both of which are connected to the same router. (Q: Why? :confused: A: possible future use as a file server and/or internet gateway of some sort, at which point it will probably sit between one router and the other.)

Trail
September 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Uhmm... errr... can't think of anything. I still play Diablo?

sideaway
September 16th, 2009, 09:45 AM
I'm currently utilising two internet connections. One of which isn't mine.
I have over 3500gb of free space on my HDDs.. and I nearly bought another HDD.
I also still play Diablo, nothing wrong with that :P
I mistakeny took my girlfriends PSU problem for a motherboard problem.

kixome
September 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Oh I broke a P133 laptop trying to turn it into a digital photo frame.

lisati
September 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM
One of my desktops has two network cards installed, both of which are connected to the same router.
The second NIC I installed myself. I didn't bother using the driver installation disk: the system already had a suitable driver available for use with the other NIC that came built into the machine. More of a fortuitous accident than deliberate choice of new NIC.

sideaway
September 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
double post, oops!

keplerspeed
September 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I got another external harddrive (650GB or something) when my internal HD isnt an 1/8 used.

I tried hackintosh.... naughty me.

Ms_Angel_D
September 16th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I installed windows xp on my kids computer :(

lisati
September 16th, 2009, 10:22 AM

I (re)installed XP on my old laptop before I gave it to my nephew, but left the Ubuntu sticker on it.

bodyharvester
September 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
ive been using my neighbours wireless network to download hundreds of gigs of torrents (big ones i seed)

Nozze
September 16th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I have removed ubuntu from my PS3 coz i needed the space in the HDD.

t0p
September 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM
ive been using my neighbours wireless network to download hundreds of gigs of torrents (big ones i seed)

But do you seed them over your neighbour's wireless too? :o

anaconda
September 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I have an extremely slow internet connection.

I bet I have slower connection than you....

But I hope it is only temperary.

currently my download speed is about 3KB/s. (should be 3,5Mb/s)

ukripper
September 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ran DROP TABLE on mysql server in production environment rather than on secondary server! Felt like I was going to die, never had that kind of feeling ever before or after! Never again..........:guitar:

in my opinion thread should be named as your biggest **** ups!!

Trail
September 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Uhmm... errr... can't think of anything. I still play Diablo?

Oh yeah, come to think of it, I have more than 7Tb worth of hard disks :S (and even better, no desktop since my mobo burned; i plug them on my laptop)

bodyharvester
September 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM
But do you seed them over your neighbour's wireless too? :o

of course, ive provided screens of data ;)

corrently downloading a 58.97GB torrent Dragonball z

EDIT: not against CoC to show screens of that is it?

pmlxuser
September 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
mercilessly wiped an office machine of its windows and selfishly installed Ubuntu 9.04 not even having the decency of backing up data that was there. why should i care am resigning in 10 days time anyway..

the.dark.lord
September 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
mercilessly wiped an office machine of its windows and selfishly installed Ubuntu 9.04 not even having the decency of backing up data that was there. why should i care am resigning in 10 days time anyway..

You'll burn in hell for that. :p

ChrT
September 16th, 2009, 12:59 PM
-I direct new GNU/Linux users to Arch and Gentoo, and make a point about ubuntu-like distros not conforming to the UNIX philosophy

-I use random wireless access points for illegal downloads to raise awareness of the ridiculous copyright and censorship laws in the EU.

-For the tinfoil-hat people who insist on email encryption, I run all attachments through ccrypt twice, then put them in a secure truecrypt container. Then I send them the keys in plaintext, along with a message to the hypothetical NSA agent that the files definitely don't contain anything illegal or threatening and I'm only encrypting them because the other guy is a paranoid jerk.

-I let random people from the internet have user accounts on my homeserver and log onto it through ssh just so I can play BOFH.

I regret nothing!

ubongo2008
September 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Ran DROP TABLE on mysql server in production environment rather than on secondary server! Felt like I was going to die, never had that kind of feeling ever before or after! Never again..........:guitar:

in my opinion thread should be named as your biggest **** ups!!
outch ...

I often use history entries in bash and adapt them sadly once upon a time i was to fast doing so and ended up with an
sudo rm * which wiped everything
:lolflag:

nothingspecial
September 16th, 2009, 07:41 PM

I`m going to report you to the relevant authorities!!!!!

My kids have only ever seen windows at school, and they confuse the **** out of their teacher with their geeky know how.

koenn
September 16th, 2009, 07:54 PM
-
-I let random people from the internet have user accounts on my homeserver and log onto it through ssh just so I can play BOFH.

lol.

Ms_Angel_D
September 16th, 2009, 08:01 PM
i`m going to report you to the relevant authorities!!!!!

My kids have only ever seen windows at school, and they confuse the **** out of their teacher with their geeky know how.

*runs and hides....

Maheriano
September 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM
1. My girlfriend's computer screen wouldn't turn on so I took the whole thing apart to find out why. I fixed the problem but broke some impossible to find clips, rendering it useless forever. When we broke up I gave it back to her in pieces.....most of them in a Ziplock bag.

2. I still run Windows XP on my car computer because the Linux applications aren't good enough for what I want to do.

3. I'm a software developer for the oil and gas industry and write everything in .NET. And it's all closed source. I'm going to go cry in a corner.

4. I charge people $40 an hour to install Wordpress for them.

starcannon
September 16th, 2009, 08:23 PM
that's horrible.
lol

dmglouis
September 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I have an ubuntu partition on my laptop but I hardly use it because I can't figure out how to make it stop dropping the connection.

Shpongle
September 16th, 2009, 08:39 PM
1. My girlfriend's computer screen wouldn't turn on so I took the whole thing apart to find out why. I fixed the problem but broke some impossible to find clips, rendering it useless forever. When we broke up I gave it back to her in pieces.....most of them in a Ziplock bag.

2. I still run Windows XP on my car computer because the Linux applications aren't good enough for what I want to do.

3. I'm a software developer for the oil and gas industry and write everything in .NET. And it's all closed source. I'm going to go cry in a corner.

4. I charge people $40 an hour to install Wordpress for them.

tut tut ,

i spilled whiskey my ex girlfriends laptop making certain keys not work such as fn and super,

RiceMonster
September 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I told a friend of mine (a Mac user) that Linux wouldn't be good for them.

I've never compiled a kernel.

I sshed into my computer in my room from the basement to make it play music for the soul purpose of confusing family members upstairs. Forgive me, I was very bored.

I handed in a C++ lab in college that used cout in class methods.

I regret only the last one. That lab was horrible; I did it the night before.

Tristam Green
September 16th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I use Goto.

*hears shotgun *****

best one yet.

My flash drive quit working early this week, thus with the potential of me losing around 15gb of music, pictures, and documents, reaching as far back as 5 years ago.

I hadn't backed them up in ages because I was still building the folder naming convention.

cmay
September 16th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I told a friend of mine (a Mac user) that Linux wouldn't be good for them.

I've never compiled a kernel.

I sshed into my computer in my room from the basement to make it play music for the soul purpose of confusing family members upstairs. Forgive me, I was very bored.

I handed in a C++ lab in college that used cout in class methods.

I regret only the last one. That lab was horrible; I did it the night before.

at least you dident spend two whole hours playing with cowsay :oops:

btw: I did once and i am not even a geek ......

apmcd47
September 16th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Just seen this thread about panels and docks (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1268172).

I don't know what a dock is! I'm not sure I care :P

stuart.reinke
September 16th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I deleted my home folder. Oops!

tcoffeep
September 16th, 2009, 09:24 PM
In a half-daze, I once "rm -Rv *" on a mounted partition that linked to the root of my main partition. I introduced my head to my desk for 30 minutes because of that. I'm not even sure why I mounted my root on my mounted partition. :\

Maheriano
September 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I don't know what IRC is.

tcoffeep
September 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I don't know what IRC is.

*horrified gasp*

Dark Aspect
September 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
#1 I have tried about three times over the last year and failed to reach 2.6 Ghz on my overclocked AMD 3200. Probably at its max and I've told myself to just leave it were its at.

#2 I run Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 on Dosbox.

#3 I bought Microsoft office 2007 to use on Ubuntu Linux via wine.

#4 I don't own a copy of Windows 98, only Win 3.1,win95,2000, and XP.

#5 I secretly hate KDE4.

cmay
September 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I am not a geek. but I have one little dark secret. I never got X to work on minix. i know i am a looser ......

doas777
September 18th, 2009, 09:43 PM
once i forgot to uncomment some rather important lines from this script:

USE DATABASE
GO

DECLARE @TableName sysname
DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(max)

DECLARE tables_cursor CURSOR FAST_FORWARD
FOR
SELECT name FROM sys.tables

OPEN tables_cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM tables_cursor INTO @TableName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
BEGIN
print @TableName
--if @TableName like 'History%'
--BEGIN
SELECT @SQL =
'Delete From [DATABASE].[dbo].[' + @TableName + ']'
--print @SQL
EXEC SP_EXECUTESQL @SQL
--END
FETCH NEXT FROM tables_cursor INTO @TableName
END

CLOSE tables_cursor
DEALLOCATE tables_cursor

horray for backups and planning.

doas777
September 18th, 2009, 09:47 PM
at least you dident spend two whole hours playing with cowsay :oops:

btw: I did once and i am not even a geek ......

you keep saying that. I don't mean to offend, but i must declare shenanigans. I'd prolly let you come over and hang out, so if your not a geek, you're close enough.

cmay
September 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM
you keep saying that. I don't mean to offend, but i must declare shenanigans. I'd prolly let you come over and hang out, so if your not a geek, you're close enough.
well what can i say.....cowsay is kinda fun :)