PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to install firefox 3.5.3 ?

tonjaa
September 16th, 2009, 03:47 AM
ubuntu9.04
i download firefox 3.5.3 save on desktop filename firefox3.5.3.tar.bz2
how to use command to install it ? please guide me by step :confused:

zvacet
September 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
First put it in home directory.Then type in terminal

if [[ ! -f /usr/bin/firefox ]]; then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox; fi && if [[ -e ~/.mozilla ]]; then cp -R ~/.mozilla ~/.mozilla.backup; fi && sudo tar -jxvf firefox-3*.tar.bz2 -C /opt && rm firefox-3*.tar.bz2 && sudo mv /opt/firefox/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins.backup && sudo ln -s /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins /opt/firefox/plugins && sudo dpkg-divert --divert /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/firefox && sudo ln -s /opt/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox

Hit enter and that's it.

tonjaa
September 16th, 2009, 06:03 PM
thank you very much.

lukeiamyourfather
September 16th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I would suggest not doing that. Firefox 3.5 is already in the repositories and gets updated through the package manager when there's a new version. I think it shows up as Shiretoko which is Firefox without the branding.

sudo apt-get install firefox-3.5

No point in reinventing the wheel and dealing with manually updating the software. Cheers!

TheStroj
September 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
You can also type Firefox in Google and download the latest package, then unpack it somewhere and double-click a file named "firefox" and you're using firefox 3.5 =). Too simple ^^

bryce4president
September 17th, 2009, 01:08 AM
luckyiamyourfather,
I tried that and it didn't work. It said it couldn't find firefox-3.5. Is it in the Universe repository? I haven't seen it.

prakreet
September 17th, 2009, 04:27 AM
firefox 3.5 is not in ubuntu repos. [strange]... the version they have there is 3.0.14. i don't know why ubuntu doesn't update this most used software...

like wise they don't have vlc 1.0 in their repos. only the previous 0.9.x series. what is happening to ubuntu... repos are very much outdated...

zvacet
September 17th, 2009, 11:31 AM
New packages comes with new releases.I think it is because of stability of system.Correct me if I'm wrong.