PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot logout successfully , please help me :S

Dangger
September 15th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Please help I cannot logout successfully to change user or session. It gets to

*Checking battery state

and stays there for a long time until it goes to a black screen and eventually it says:

* Reloading system log daemon...

This problem is due to using the kdm display manager as default. It hangs the system when trying to log out. to solve it, partially, run

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

and choose gdm as the default manager.

earthpigg
September 16th, 2009, 12:02 AM
can you shut down and reboot normally?

Dangger
September 16th, 2009, 12:03 AM
can you shut down and reboot normally?

Yes, and it only happened after I installed the KDE desktop and decided to keep it and removed gnome

:S

Dangger
September 16th, 2009, 12:25 AM
I have been able to replicate the problem. It is because of the kdm display manager. If it is chose as default it will prevent my machine from successfully logging out.

CampbellBoyd
May 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I have a similar problem. I'm running 10.04. Hibernate does not work on my PC (and didn't with Windows XP) but not a problem. If I have more than one user logged on then switching user works fine but a logout causes a Black Screen of Death (at least its not blue). I'm not using the kdm display manager.

cojoco
June 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM
I also cannot log out, I just get a black screeen.

I have this problem on all four of my AMD computers, one has ATI AGP card, two have NVidia PCI-E card, and one has NVidia on-board video.

All are running 10.04, and this problem has always existed since the first install.

I have been running Gnome, but I just tried with KDE, and this also has the same problem.

All have NVidia chipsets.

I can log into my computer via SSH from another and restart, but nothing I do from the keyboard allows me to select a TTY or another X session.