PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tried playing a game on wine, now display driver and log viewer don't work

whydoesitburn
September 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM
First of all, I am using a Nvidia GeForce 8400GS on Jaunty, and the driver for it was working just fine until last night, after attempting to play a game through wine (which promptly crashed at start). After that I got the typical distorted screen when ever an X-server issue arises. After fixing X through recovery mode, I re-installed the driver, and rebooted my computer. The login screen come up clear as it always does, but after logging in, I was greeted with the same problem. Whenever I try to view the logs, the gnome log viewer either runs really slow, or simply doesn't respond. I did manage to gather that whenever the driver is re-installed, that I get a message about X-server failing to load on those sessions. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix, or even what file could possibly have been corrupted? I have already to rolling back the drivers, to no avail, and even after restart the log viewer still causes CPU spikes upon opening. Any help would be appreciated.

whydoesitburn
September 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Maybe this information will help me get an answer to what is happening on my system:

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
N: main.c: Called SUID root and real-time and/or high-priority scheduling was requested in the configuration. However, we lack the necessary privileges:
N: main.c: We are not in group 'pulse-rt', PolicyKit refuse to grant us the requested privileges and we have no increase RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits.
N: main.c: For enabling real-time/high-priority scheduling please acquire the appropriate PolicyKit privileges, or become a member of 'pulse-rt', or increase the RLIMIT_NICE/RLIMIT_RTPRIO resource limits for this user.
GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET=/tmp/keyring-w0q54A/socket
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-w0q54A/socket.ssh

(gnome-settings-daemon:3525): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_propagate_error: assertion `src != NULL' failed
Window manager warning: Failed to read saved session file /home/*********/.config/metacity/sessions/10ea68f705a063ac48125308175673002800000033280024.m s: Failed to open file '/home/**********/.config/metacity/sessions/10ea68f705a063ac48125308175673002800000033280024.m s': No such file or directory
Failure: Module initalization failed
** (nm-applet:3571): DEBUG: applet_common_device_state_changed
Initializing trackerd...
Tracker-Message: Checking XDG_DATA_HOME is writable and exists
Tracker-Message: XDG_DATA_HOME is '(null)'
Tracker-Message: XDG_DATA_HOME set to '/home/*********/.local/share'
Tracker-Message: Path is OK
Tracker-Message: Setting IO priority
Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/************/.config/tracker/tracker.cfg'
Tracker-Message: Loading defaults into GKeyFile...
Tracker-Message: Legacy config option 'IndexEvolutionEmails' found
Tracker-Message: This option has been replaced by 'DisabledModules'
Tracker-Message: Option 'DisabledModules' removed 'evolution'
Tracker-Message: Legacy config option 'IndexThunderbirdEmails' found
Tracker-Message: This option is no longer supported and has no effect
Tracker-Message: Legacy config option 'SkipMountPoints' found
Tracker-Message: Option 'IndexMountedDirectories' set to true
Tracker-Message: Setting up stopword list for language code:'en'
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 0.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Initialized Panel Applet Signaler.
Tracker-Message: Setting up stemmer for language code:'en'
Tracker-Message: Checking directory exists:'/home/***********/.local/share/tracker/data'
Tracker-Message: Checking directory exists:'/home/***********/.cache/tracker'
Tracker-Message: Registering DBus service...
Name:'org.freedesktop.Tracker'
Starting log:
File:'/home/***********/.local/share/tracker/trackerd.log'
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 1.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 2.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 3.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 4.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 5.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 6.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 7.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 8.

** (nautilus:3549): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 9.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 10.

(gnome-panel:3548): libglade-WARNING **: Unexpected element <requires-version> inside <glade-interface>.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 11.
** (gnome-panel:3548): DEBUG: Adding applet 12.
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "WATCHDOG_PATH" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "IPTABLES_CUSTOM_DIR" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "WATCHDOG" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "WATCHDOG_SLEEP" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "CUSTOM_DAEMON_OPTS" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: QVector<QString> getFileData(const QString&) Could not read from file "/etc/blockcontrol/blockcontrol.conf_back"
** Warning: QVector<QString> getFileData(const QString&) Could not read from file "/etc/blockcontrol/blocklists.list_back"
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "WATCHDOG_PATH" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "IPTABLES_CUSTOM_DIR" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "WATCHDOG" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "WATCHDOG_SLEEP" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
** Warning: void MoblockSettings::processSettings() Setting "CUSTOM_DAEMON_OPTS" has not been defined and was therefore ignored
evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Setting timeout for 63809 1253145600 1253081791
evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Wed Sep 16 19:00:00 2009

evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Wed Sep 16 01:16:31 2009

** (update-notifier:3566): DEBUG: /usr/lib/update-notifier/apt-check returned 0 (security: 0)
PID TTY TIME CMD
3508 ? 00:00:00 pulseaudio
** (update-notifier:3566): DEBUG: crashreport_check