PDA

View Full Version : community college brand of choice

Dayofswords
September 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
it seems while taking the computer science placement test, 75% questions of 80, involved mircosoft products

products mentioned:
MS Word
MS Acess
MS PowerPoint
windows
windows's desktop and file browser
windows this and that

it was mircosft and basic computer operations such as booting up
boards and components.

not a lick of linux, openoffice(which I use instead of MS-blah, so that kinda hurt my score), there wasn't even a mention of another company except an online public domain book project site, mentioned once.

mac os wasn't even said, i know windows dominates the market.. but 75% of the test involving only mircosoft products..

NovaAesa
September 15th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I find it interesting that those sorts of things (office suits - MS or not) would even be mentioned in a "computer science" placement test. Computer science has nothing to do with these things.

PurposeOfReason
September 15th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I find it interesting that those sorts of things (office suits - MS or not) would even be mentioned in a "computer science" placement test. Computer science has nothing to do with these things.
So all the people who major in it and work in IT don't need to know those things?

Whiffle
September 15th, 2009, 11:25 PM
So all the people who major in it and work in IT don't need to know those things?

Computer Science != IT

I know compsci majors that probably couldn't install windows, but they sure can write some cool programs.