PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible...

blur xc
September 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
...to spec and build a laptop, component by component like you can w/ a desktop pc?

I ask, because some hardware runs better in linux (fewer headaches) but when you buy a laptop, it seems you are at the mercy of what hardware the manufacturer puts in it.

BM

hoppipolla
September 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
A very good question! I don't know the answer but I will be watching this thread! I DOUBT it... but stranger things have happened :)

Bachstelze
September 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Of course it's possible. Do you think laptops are created by the God of Computers?

RiceMonster
September 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I ask, because some hardware runs better in linux (fewer headaches) but when you buy a laptop, it seems you are at the mercy of what hardware the manufacturer puts in it.

You know, you can always buy a laptop with Linux preinstalled.

TheLions
September 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
there is even tutorial:

http://computershopper.com/feature/build-your-own-laptop

Google lil' bit...

dragos240
September 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Yep, I wondered this once, there are barebone laptops, and small computer parts. Although if you ask me, it will be more of a headache building a laptop than buying one.

steveneddy
September 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Of course it's possible. Do you think laptops are created by the God of Computers?

that's a bit harsh for mod don't you think?

To the OP:

Look at System76 (http://www.system76.com/) for affordable prebuilt laptops with Ubuntu already installed.

dragos240
September 15th, 2009, 08:19 PM
They are a tad pricey though.

Maheriano
September 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yes you can but as soon as you pick one component, the other components you can choose to fit/work with it are immediately limited. Most boards use built in video which is either nVidia or ATI and don't offer you the option of both. And if you find a board which accepts a video card, you need to find get a case it'll fit in that allows for the insertion of the card.....then if you want bluetooth/Wi-Fi then you have to either find a motherboard with them built in or one with enough space where you can add them as cards. It's not like a desktop where you can keep firing PCI-e cards onto the board, space is limited so that's your biggest challenge.

sydbat
September 15th, 2009, 11:48 PM

that's a bit harsh for mod don't you thinkI didn't think it was harsh...I thought it was funny...besides, for all we know, there really is a God of Computers...

blur xc
September 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Yep, I wondered this once, there are barebone laptops, and small computer parts. Although if you ask me, it will be more of a headache building a laptop than buying one.

Yeah, I could see that if you were just trying to build one to have one, but if you were doing it as a hobby project, overcoming challenges is half the fun (like running linux for the first time :P)

BM

Skripka
September 16th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I could see that if you were just trying to build one to have one, but if you were doing it as a hobby project, overcoming challenges is half the fun (like running linux for the first time :P)

BM

You can get a laptop barebone from NewEgg. Spec your own HDD/CPU, possibly GPU, and RAM.