PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running Live CD vs installing

Tallenn
September 15th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Greetings, Ubuntu users!

I have used different versions of Linux on an off over the years, but this will be my first time trying ubuntu. I've been running the live CD quite a bit the last few days, being absolutely amazed at how far Linux has come in the area of user friendliness. I haven't installed it yet- I'm away from home for the summer, and plan to install it as soon as I get back in a couple of weeks. In the mean time, I intend to keep playing around with the live CD to get more aquanted. I'm hopeful that I'll finally be able to say goodbye to Windows for good this time.

Anyway, I did have one quick question. I've been reading this forum, and seeing all of the problems folks are running into. What I'm wondering is regarding the differences between using the cd, and installing. When I use the CD, so far, everything has worked without any problems at all- connecting via wireless, using USB thumb drives, even using 3d effects with my graphics card. Does this mean it's likely that there won't be any problems with these things once I install, or is the installation somehow different than how the live CD works, and there might be issues on things that have so far worked flawlessly?

Thanks!

NoaHall
September 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM
It means it will work fine, as long as you don't do something silly :) Install it, you'll get much better performance. If you run into any problems, just post on here, and we'll be happy to answer.

callumacrae
September 15th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I would totally recommend installing, it's so much faster.

Also, I found the dual boot option for ubuntu surprisingly easy, if you want windows as a backup.

~Callum

wojox
September 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I don't fore see any problems when you do decide to install. That is why they make the LiveCD, sort off try out to see how it runs and plays with your hardware. The problems the others had they more than likely did not run the LiveCD first.

That said any problems you do have could be answered here or at the help website:

https://help.ubuntu.com/

Enjoy and Welcome to the Community. :P

SeePU
September 15th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I thought running the Live CD was a way of testing the OS on your system? It is considered a preview of what the install might be like.

What is wrong with trying the Live CD and if it works fine, then installing?

I think you can try installing but, imho, it depends on what version of Ubuntu you are installing. The most recent Karmic is not ready if you ask me. I would recommend a beginner try Jaunty 9.04 and maybe Karmic will be somewhat ready next month.

soldier4jesus
September 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Tallenn,
I also ran the Live CD before I installed Ubuntu on my system, and I have to say that everything that worked on the Live CD worked just fine once I installed it completely on my system. As other posts have said, if you do install it and run into any problems, you can always come back here and get help. Have a great day!!! :grin:

God Bless!!
Wesley

NoaHall
September 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
I like how 5 users just like to post the same reply, I'm sure it's very helpful.

To OP:

If your computer can support it, I'd recommend trying out the 64 bit version too - it's faster, and the future.

halitech
September 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM
One thing I've noticed is people testing using the live cd and having it work fine but then going to install and things bomb on them and things like wireless and video not working as they did in the live cd. In most cases you should be fine but I'm wondering (maybe a dev could confirm this) if they include the binary blobs in the live cd that they don't include in the actual install.

Typically though, if it works in the live cd, it means it can be made to work in the installed version.

bigboy_pdb
September 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM
One computer that I have has a problem where the resolution for the load screen was incorrect and the monitor displayed a message stating that there's no signal, but after the load screen it would go away (and it was easily fixed by changing the screen dimensions in a file).

In other words, just because the live CD doesn't seem to have any problems, doesn't mean that the installation won't have any problems. However, it isn't likely that you'll run into any serious problems if everything appears to work on the live CD.

If you backup your files on an external hard drive or a CD-RW before installing, you should be fine.

marshmallow1304
September 15th, 2009, 07:55 PM
The most recent Karmic is not ready if you ask me. I would recommend a beginner try Jaunty 9.04 and maybe Karmic will be somewhat ready next month.

Of course it's not ready, that's why it's in alpha. Perhaps the best bet is to wait until Karmic is actually released before commenting on its "readiness".

Edit: On review, that sounds a little snarky, though that's not how I meant it.

Tallenn
September 15th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Wow, so many replies, and so quickly! Thanks very much to all of you. I has suspect as much. I was just starting to wonder, after reading all of the problems, then seeing how flawlessly it was working for me.

Now I can't want to get home and get it installed.

Great forum!