PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing driving me CRAZY !

C_Bomb
September 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I've been using ubuntu for a week now, and i still can't install anything properly !!

Some things i installed but have no f*^$ing clue how I did it....for some reason
the normal ./configure make etc etc DOESN"T WORK with my pc...

it just always says, command not found or whatever...
the terminal will run configure, but after that the make or install or what ever all the 10 million tutorials say....nothing works.\

Can someone please just give me a baby step tutorial....I dont wanna go back to windows, but if i can't install a simple application, then i'm gonna have to go back to windows.

:( help...i'm starting to rip my hair OUT !

waspbr
September 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM
whoa, what exactly do you want to install? it sounds to me that you are trying to compile something, that may be a little much for a newcomer.

As for a quick guide, I would recommend this page
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

presence1960
September 15th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Use Synaptic package manager- go Systems > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.

Or use Add/Remove under Applications in top left menu

Most software you will want/need is in there. Unless you ABSOLUTELY must have a package that is not in there there is absolutely no need to compile from source.

waspbr
September 15th, 2009, 06:25 PM
you can also find some popular applications at sites like getdeb
http://www.getdeb.net/, there you can find .deb files, which analagous to .exe files*. just download whatever .deb file you want to your desktop and double click on it to start installing it.

*actually .msi if you wanna be picky about the analogy

hhhiker
September 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I can't install anything properly !! !

System / Administration / Synaptic Package Manager

Let it start, once in there you select the category of package on the left menu or with a keyword, then select what package to install (that build a list of what to install, nothing more), THEN clicking on the Big Green Check sign install the whole list.

kostkon
September 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Yes, I would also recommend to check this this how-to (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware).

C_Bomb
September 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Hey guys thanks for the replies.....it made some more sence now....most of the things installed properly, when i installed g++ compiler.....so now I'm wondering,,,,what essential things must I install....regards to codecs, plugins etc....because I'm trying to install VLC media player...and during configure...it halts and tells me to install this and that the whole time.

So in other words, what things must I install in that Synaptic Package Manager?

Thanks.:popcorn:

briantoumbs
September 16th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Try

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

fanglinyong
September 16th, 2009, 09:01 AM
if you are new people to ubuntu, i suggest that you can install ubuntu-tweak, this software will help you install many software what you want!
ubuntu-tweak download link is:
http://ubuntu-tweak.googlecode.com/files/ubuntu-tweak_0.4.8-1~jaunty1_all.deb

good luck!

C_Bomb
September 16th, 2009, 09:07 AM
thanks guys i'll give it a shot !!!

lvlint67
September 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
thanks guys i'll give it a shot !!!

I get the feeling that:

sudo aptitude install vlc

will be the end all there.... It should automatically grab everything you need.

If you are trying to manually compile and run all the dependencies just for the sake of having done it... Well in that position I think i would hire a therapist and put him/her on speed dial for when it doesn't all work.

C_Bomb
September 17th, 2009, 07:44 AM
I get the feeling that:

sudo aptitude install vlc

will be the end all there.... It should automatically grab everything you need.

If you are trying to manually compile and run all the dependencies just for the sake of having done it... Well in that position I think i would hire a therapist and put him/her on speed dial for when it doesn't all work.

When I type that command into the terminal, it says. command apitude not found.?
But I downloaded the DEB installation of VLC....it installes, but when i got to applications
video/audio....then when i click on VLC.....it does nothing, the program doesn't even launch.

j7%<RmUg
September 17th, 2009, 07:47 AM
There are .debs for VLC on the VLC website, under Ubuntu on the main page.

C_Bomb
September 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Almost all applications i try to install give errors, even if it is a DEB file...like audicious,,,,a mp3 music player gives errors....and yeah, it's kinda getting frustrated now.

Ratscallion
September 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM
When I type that command into the terminal, it says. command apitude not found.?
But I downloaded the DEB installation of VLC....it installes, but when i got to applications
video/audio....then when i click on VLC.....it does nothing, the program doesn't even launch.
Ok... Try

sudo apt-get autoremove vlc (uninstalls it)
then sudo apt-get install vlc
It basically reinstalls, if your PC is being picky it might not like aptitude but prefer apt-get...

Then try, from the terminal, vlc.

Ratscallion
September 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM
You may need to reinstall... But don't you even think about going to those lengths before we've got other things out the way first.