PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] xp dual boot

bholswade
September 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
I have a Dell 530s w/ 300G HD running XP Pro. I have tried to install ubuntu as a dual boot three times. Each time after the install I select Ubuntu as OS and the update manager list a a bunch of updates. When I try to update I get a error message that their is not enough hd space.
I can't remove Ubumtu without the grubb locking the system up and not allowing XP to load.

halitech
September 15th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Did you use WUBI to do the install?
open a terminal and post the results of

df -h

RJ12
September 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
When installing did you use WUBI?
if not do you choose guided install side by side if so move the slider to the left to give ubuntu some space

bholswade
September 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM

df -h
I used the CD. And I let the CD install without any changes. IE: first choice.

bholswade
September 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
When installing did you use WUBI?
if not do you choose guided install side by side if so move the slider to the left to give ubuntu some space
I did use side by side. The last time I screwed with the partition I messed up the whole system and had to format and reload XP and all software. Took me all day. Not to quick to mess with anything else.

bholswade
September 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM

df -h
I am now in Win not Ubuntu. Will lose thread if I change?
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

bart@desktop:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 2.3G 2.2G 45M 98% /
tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun 1.6G 92K 1.6G 1% /var/run
varlock 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /var/lock
udev 1.6G 160K 1.6G 1% /dev
tmpfs 1.6G 84K 1.6G 1% /dev/shm
lrm 1.6G 2.4M 1.6G 1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile
bart@desktop:~$

bholswade
September 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I am now in Win not Ubuntu. Will lose thread if I change?
To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
See "man sudo_root" for details.

bart@desktop:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 2.3G 2.2G 45M 98% /
tmpfs 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /lib/init/rw
varrun 1.6G 92K 1.6G 1% /var/run
varlock 1.6G 0 1.6G 0% /var/lock
udev 1.6G 160K 1.6G 1% /dev
tmpfs 1.6G 84K 1.6G 1% /dev/shm
lrm 1.6G 2.4M 1.6G 1% /lib/modules/2.6.28-11-generic/volatile
bart@desktop:~$

Is this what you need?

bholswade
September 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Is this what you need?

At this point how do I removed Ubuntu and just use Win. I guess I am not able to follow the cryptic commands. I just want to install in windows again.

halitech
September 15th, 2009, 07:08 PM
what happened is you used WUBI to install and it went with the default size for the install (2.3gig). If you want to use it, go back into windows, unistall it from Add/remomve programs and then run the install again but this time make sure you give it more room, probably around 10-15 gig.

bholswade
September 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM
what happened is you used WUBI to install and it went with the default size for the install (2.3gig). If you want to use it, go back into windows, unistall it from Add/remomve programs and then run the install again but this time make sure you give it more room, probably around 10-15 gig.
I am trying to install on hard drive as dual boot. Now I want to go back to install in windows. Can't figure our how to delete grub. Their are several lines of instructions if I hit E at boot menu. Can I delete those to prevent grub from locking up system when I remove partition? Can email with instructions. I don't seem to be able to connect real time here. @yahoo.com

halitech
September 15th, 2009, 11:32 PM
I'm not completely sure on the steps to remove ubuntu from the windows boot loader if you used wubi to install but you don't have a linux partition, Ubuntu was installed in a file inside windows.

Zero++
September 15th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I am trying to install on hard drive as dual boot. Now I want to go back to install in windows. Can't figure our how to delete grub. Their are several lines of instructions if I hit E at boot menu. Can I delete those to prevent grub from locking up system when I remove partition? Can email with instructions. I don't seem to be able to connect real time here. @yahoo.com

If you want to completely remove ubuntu boot from your XP CD and go to the recovery counsel. Use the fixmbr command to reload the windows master boot record. Here's a link to help (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true). After that you will want to reformat the Ubuntu partition to NTFS so you are not wasting space. I would use Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) (link encolsed) but you should be able to do it pretty hastle free in XP with something that small.

bholswade
September 16th, 2009, 01:56 AM
If you want to completely remove ubuntu boot from your XP CD and go to the recovery counsel. Use the fixmbr command to reload the windows master boot record. Here's a link to help (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true). After that you will want to reformat the Ubuntu partition to NTFS so you are not wasting space. I would use Gparted (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) (link encolsed) but you should be able to do it pretty hastle free in XP with something that small.
I will try this. But my old brain is moving pretty slow. I have copied the instructions for recovery counsel as well as master boot record. Will let you know. thanks for you help. If this does not work then I will wipe again and start over.
Bart

bholswade
September 17th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I will try this. But my old brain is moving pretty slow. I have copied the instructions for recovery counsel as well as master boot record. Will let you know. thanks for you help. If this does not work then I will wipe again and start over.
Bart

Thanks for help. All of you. Sorry for delay getting back, but had to see VA. Have removed Ubuntu for hd and installed thru Win. I know that the purist will scream but hey, mellow. thanks again