View Full Version : [SOLVED] PulseAudio and Logitech webcam mic. Mic doesn't work.

September 15th, 2009, 02:58 PM

I have a logitech quickcam communicate STX (which has an inbuilt microphone). I've also installed the latest Skype 2.1 beta. Now, I'm trying to get the microphone to work but it isn't I need ideas on what I can do to fix the problem.

When I run pavucontrol, and watch my webcam mic's progress bar while talking to it, it moves, but I am not hearing what I'm saying coming out of the speaker. As a result when I use Skype, the mic does not pick up my voice.


Thanks in advance.

September 16th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have solved my problem. All I had to do is disable pulse audio's autospawn and then change my Skype sound settings.

1. Disable autospawn.
Open ~/.pulse/client.conf with your favorite editor and add autospawn = no

2. Stop pulse audio.
In your terminal, run pulseaudio -k

3. Run Skype and change audio settings:

4. After using Skype to make my long distance call, I just restart pulse audio
In your terminal, run pulseaudio -D
After step 3, I had to run "Gnome Volume Control" and unmute the Master Playback control in Alsa mixer.

September 18th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I don't have skype, and my client.conf file was in /etc...

and I still can't get it to work. :(

September 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I don't have skype, and my client.conf file was in /etc...

and I still can't get it to work. :(

If you create and add ~/.pulse/client.conf, the autospawn setting will override the value in /etc/pulse.

September 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I don't have skype, and my client.conf file was in /etc...

and I still can't get it to work. :(

What are you using the webcam mic for? How do you plan on using it? If I knew what you are using it for, I can see how the app works on my computer.

September 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Oops. I suppose I should've updated this when I finally got it to work...

I'm not sure how I did, but I did. After I changed the auto-spawn thing, I just tinkered around with sound settings (under system>preferences>sound) and then played around in the programs that I was trying to get it to work in (Ardour, JACK, Audacity, Pure Data, ...) and had to find the specific settings that worked for it. I had to change all the "default" values in the input device field to the "hw:" whatever thing that it is in, and then I needed to make sure that I wasn't running any sound program with a sample rate of 16000Hz (or else it wouldn't work).

I'm pretty sure that's all I did. <3