PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard drive tempretures

bu3askoor
September 15th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hello All,
I am running ubuntu 9.04 with HP DV9000 with latest drivers for nvidia. I have read many threads on this jaunty overheating without anyone identifying the real cause.

My hard drive is running at 63 C, CPU at 46 C, and Gfx card at 72 C. I know that CPU is fine but what do you think about hard drive and graphic card temperatures? acording to seagate website my [articular hard drive should be running between 5-55 C.

i would appreciate any feedback.

rob-ward
September 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM
How is the ventilation in your case? do you have any chassis fans circulating the air around the HDD?

The cause of overheating it more often than not because there are not chasis fans installed or they are failing.

bu3askoor
September 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Thank you for your reply. My laptop fan is working, however, i am not sure if the speed varies based on system temperature. After posting earlier, i used one of those laptop pads with fans and put it underneath the laptop. It brought down the hard drive temperature at least by 13 C. I got a small blower and blew through all ventilation areas and fan. I will monitor it from now on.

So i think it is not Ubuntu fault :)

hyperAura
September 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
using a blower to get the dust out of the machine rly worked for me..:) also it depends on the usage of the hdd and how much u stress it..

rob-ward
September 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
It may be worthwhile trying to get hold of some compressed air(you can get it from computer shops or a compressor if you have one) and just blowing it through your laptop, as with everything your laptop will have built up a fair bit of dust and even a small coating can reduce heat sink efficiencies drastically