PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] browser and VLC

2blue
September 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I have an old laptop with Ubuntu and probably rather low capacity to run the latest and best flashplayer from adobe. However most things run very smoothly on the computer. I have problems with jerky youtube videos and unstable picture. When I play streaming videos (like youtube) in VLC everything is just fine. This I have to do by pasting the web address manually and have not found a way to make VLC default for either of my browsers. I have Firefox and Opera.

Is there any of the browsers like seamonkey or epiphany that has VLC as standard flash player?

I have configures all settings I can find in Firefox to make VLC default and downloaded all the plug-ins I can find. I guess the browser still uses the original settings and players. Is there a way to make VLC default player on just about everything on this laptop?

arochester
September 15th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Have you installed mozilla-plugin-vlc?

mikewhatever
September 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
You could try changing the program to open flash content with. In Firefox, go to Edit/Preferences/Applications Tab and ...well, experiment with the settings.

2blue
September 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have the mozilla-plugin-vlc. I could not make it work right away, but I shall try out the different configuration option. Firefox seams to be rather stubborn in shifting from adobe flashplayer 10 to anything else when playing youtube videos.

Is it safe to remove adobe flash player entirely?

mikewhatever
September 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM
It is safe, in the sense that it won't break anything other then flash.