PDA

View Full Version : FYI, Opera Preview 2 is out

DaMasta
February 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
With widgets and built in content blocking.
I'm liking it so far.

Orunitia
February 7th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Y'know, I was thinking of making a topic about this, but didn't.

I grabbed it earlier, and it's nice. If you hover over the tabs, you get a thumbnail screenshot of the webpage.

bionicyeti
February 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I don't know about you, but on my system I installed and it removed 8.51 without prompting. It saved all my settings but... just a fyi.

Orunitia
February 7th, 2006, 03:01 PM
I don't know about you, but on my system I installed and it removed 8.51 without prompting. It saved all my settings but... just a fyi.

Why wouldn't it?

M4gi
February 7th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Yap, and I love it. :-D

earobinson
February 7th, 2006, 03:24 PM
deb link?

Orunitia
February 7th, 2006, 03:29 PM
http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/9.0-Preview-2/intel-linux/

earobinson
February 7th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Cant wait to get home and install, getting sick of firefox mem leaks!

fuscia
February 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM
is it faster than 8.51? (i know, i feel cheap.)

bionicyeti
February 7th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Why wouldn't it?

I guess I'm just used to the windows world where it seems like ever new opera version installed into a new opera folder and didn't save any settings. Then, if it screwed up you could always go back to the old version.

GameManK
February 7th, 2006, 09:06 PM
http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/9.0-Preview-2/intel-linux/
which one do we need? static, sarge, or etch?
running kubuntu dapper

xequence
February 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Opera is wonderful... I have 8.51 now and it is way better then firefox.

It just seems so... Advanced.

9.0 also blocked a popup that 8.51 didnt.

DaMasta
February 7th, 2006, 11:21 PM
which one do we need? static, sarge, or etch?
running kubuntu dapper
I used static.

imagine
February 7th, 2006, 11:25 PM
I'm also using Opera 8.5 but version 9 will be a huge step forward. The way to add search machines and block content is just perfect. I like Firefox, but the better is the enemy of good : )

And IE7 is again out of the race before it even got released.

A nice summary of the preview: http://my.opera.com/mitchman2/

Lord Illidan
February 7th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I still prefer Firefox, but its good to have another browser handy...
As for IE 7, excuse me while I barf...at least I hope that MS is not going to place a patent on tabbed browsing...or say that it invented it!

ice60
February 8th, 2006, 12:07 AM
can i just close Opera then install it? or do i have to uninstall 8.51 first?
i'm scared it won't work :(

so if i do this below it will work? i really hope so, and all my settings will be saved? i'm going to back them up anyway.

sudo dpkg -i opera-static_9.0-20060206.1-qt_en_i386.deb
thanks

bluebyt
February 8th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I like the new widget tool, see by yourself:
http://bluebyt2.blogspot.com/

If you like to try it, tools/show widgets or F6!

Orunitia
February 8th, 2006, 12:19 AM
can i just close Opera then install it? or do i have to uninstall 8.51 first?
i'm scared it won't work :(

so if i do this below it will work? i really hope so, and all my settings will be saved? i'm going to back them up anyway.

sudo dpkg -i opera-static_9.0-20060206.1-qt_en_i386.deb
thanks

You can just install right over it, and it will keep your settings.

xequence
February 8th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Im going back to the old opera!

For one... I cant click on that icon to the right of the wand to bring up a little menu where I click to go home.

And they changed it so ctrl + n brings up a new window, not a new tab, and ctrl + t brings up a new tab. Like firefox.

=(

ice60
February 8th, 2006, 12:30 AM
You can just install right over it, and it will keep your settings.
thanks, i'm going to try it now, i don't want to have to use Firefox if it doesn't work :(

ice60
February 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM
OK, how do i get the old version back? i already don't like it, it says it's strongly advised not to use it for email, which i do because the client which comes with Ubuntu doesn't work and i know Thunderbird doesn't work on XP either for me but i don't know about Ubuntu.

if i try Thunderbird and it doesn't work does Ubuntu uninstall things cleanly, or are things left behind? i'll try Thunderbird if it will completely uninstall if it doesn't work. thanks

DaMasta
February 8th, 2006, 12:40 AM
And they changed it so ctrl + n brings up a new window, not a new tab, and ctrl + t brings up a new tab. Like firefox.

=(
This can easily be changed.

ice60
February 8th, 2006, 12:55 AM
i quite like the way cookies are now handled and Content too for my scripts (although it seems to have forgotten about the cookies here :confused: ) but the menus for them are better in Preferences and less cluttered too and a few other changes in the preferences make it easier.

when i go to fonts there's some foreign writting there which shouldn't be :confused:

xequence
February 8th, 2006, 01:28 AM
This can easily be changed.

Ive never liked the advanced options thingy for opera.

i quite like the way cookies are now handled and Content too for my scripts (although it seems to have forgotten about the cookies here ) but the menus for them are better in Preferences and less cluttered too and a few other changes in the preferences make it easier.

when i go to fonts there's some foreign writting there which shouldn't be

Just install the old one exactly like you installed it originally.

ice60
February 8th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Just install the old one exactly like you installed it originally.
done :D i would have kept it if it wasn't for email. i need it, but i'll try out Thunderbird to see if it works, if it does i might try it again.

psoleko
February 8th, 2006, 03:26 AM
The 2 things I said I absolutely needed were I to try Opera and there they are.
CTL-Enter to complete URLs and CTL-T for tab, nice one.

GameManK
February 8th, 2006, 04:37 AM
the email doesn't work? i guess i'll have to wait for the final version to try it and stick with 8.51

ice60
February 8th, 2006, 06:30 AM
the email doesn't work? i guess i'll have to wait for the final version to try it and stick with 8.51
i got some funny popup about how i shouldn't trust it's email, then it asked if i wanted to convert my email to something and if i didn't it would be lost :confused: :( i clicked yes. then i opened the email client and it all looked normal - i read some email and deleted some, but i didn't receive or send any so that might be what the problem is, i don't know.

i think it will be fine to try as long as you make a copy of ~/.opera incase something goes wrong.

Sirin
February 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Heh. What is this? This isn't opera 9, this is Opera 8 with some little features added and keyboard configs switched. What is this? IE 7 is definitely going to be the browser release of this year. :-?

bugmenot
February 8th, 2006, 10:27 AM
My posts are 100% useless! Guaranteed!
Right.

I think the shared etch version is most suitable for us here.
The changelog also tells that libmotif3 isn't needed any more, since many people experienced problems in that area that's an advancement.

TrendyDark
February 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I was almost sure the Opera Preview was only for Windows, is it available for Linux?

Sirin
February 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I was almost sure the Opera Preview was only for Windows, is it available for Linux?

As described in this thread. ;)

Vlammetje
February 8th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Ehm no... that's why you'll see people having installed it on Ubuntu :rolleyes:

If you start reading from the beginning of this thread you will come across a link pointing you to several linux flavours install options....