PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome V4.0.207

jf1991999
September 15th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Last night I decided to revisit Google Chrome. There has been enormous progress, so much so that I am now using it as my default browser. All pages are rendering beautifully and very fast. It is definitely worth having a look at.

wildman4god
September 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I just tested the alpha on Firefox 3.6 and it's greased lightning, almost as fast as Google chrome.

madnessjack
September 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Chrome is my default on Windows and Jaunty. I love it. If the new Firefox starts up quicker, I would definitely consider switching to it.

lovinglinux
September 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I just tested the alpha on Firefox 3.6 and it's greased lightning, almost as fast as Google chrome.

I agree. I have tested and benchmarked it. It's almost as fast as Chromium, even with several extensions running. I can't wait to use FF 3.6 final version.

TheLions
September 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I agree. I have tested and benchmarked it. It's almost as fast as Chromium, even with several extensions running. I can't wait to use FF 3.6 final version.

FF looks promising...

http://slike.hr/slike/p/prikazzaslona_f00c4.png (http://slike.hr/)

TenPlus1
September 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
What does that benchmark even show/test ? is higher better ?

lovinglinux
September 15th, 2009, 05:36 PM
What does that benchmark even show/test ? is higher better ?

Yes, the higher the better.

Check it out at http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

hoppipolla
September 15th, 2009, 06:31 PM
It's gorgeous I swear by it :)

I actually prefer the way it works on here than I did on XP! :)

hoppipolla
September 15th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Chrome is my default on Windows and Jaunty. I love it. If the new Firefox starts up quicker, I would definitely consider switching to it.

I would switch back to FF if they refined the interface, improved the engine (including it's aesthetic appeal) and sped the whole thing up as you suggest they are :)

mister_pink
September 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
All I ever get from chromium is an "Aw. Snap!" page! No idea how to debug it either...

dmglouis
September 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I love it! I just recently installed it on my ubuntu partition, and I am actually considering staying on this partition due to the phenomenal speed increase this has over FF 3.0.

I only wish chrome had mouse gestures.

lovinglinux
September 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I only wish chrome had mouse gestures.

Use easystroke (apt:easystroke) [apt-get], which mouse gestures for the entire system.

Note: when you see [apt-get] after a link on my posts it means that you just need to click it to install the software. This is basically an easy way to perform an installation from the repositories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository) without running the command on a terminal. This is the same as running the command sudo apt-get install followed by the name of the program.

purgatori
September 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Chrome may be faster and all the rest of it, but until it has something like vimperator, -- or, at the very least, autoscroll -- the interface will remain far too cumbersome for my liking. For my needs, I've yet to find a real challenger to Firefox, excluding maybe Opera, or Uzbl (if I could get the damned thing to work).

hotweiss
September 15th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Wow, it has come a long way. Is there any way to add auto-scroll functionality?

PS-Chrome handles Flash a lot better than Firefox

koleoptero
September 15th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I had not tested chromium for some months and I must admit it has come a long way. I'm glad to see an open source project being under such heavy development.

lightstream
September 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I agree that it's Firefox's extensions and add-ons which make it the only real choice for me.

I guess Chrome has some equivalent to the Google toolbar built in, but I also use Stumble-Upon, firebug and mouse gestures.

Firefox is terribly slow at starting up, but once it's running a half-second here or there would not really be something I would notice in practice.

Firefox is also ~incredibly~ slow at shutting down, or is that just me??

lovinglinux
September 18th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I agree that it's Firefox's extensions and add-ons which make it the only real choice for me.

I guess Chrome has some equivalent to the Google toolbar built in, but I also use Stumble-Upon, firebug and mouse gestures.

Firefox is terribly slow at starting up, but once it's running a half-second here or there would not really be something I would notice in practice.

Firefox is also ~incredibly~ slow at shutting down, or is that just me??

That's probably due to extensions. Whenever you start Firefox it loads all extensions pages, like sidebars, buttons and other overlays. Some of these extensions automatically perform tasks (functions) when loading or unloading, like for example reading data from databases. So if you have several extensions that perform these tasks while loading or unloading, you have considerable increase in time for starting/closing Firefox.

Keep in mind that these automatic tasks are not necessarily activated when Firefox starts, but only when one of the extension page is loaded. So, one thing that can help is to make sure you don't have any extension sidebar opened when closing/starting Firefox.

You could also disable all extensions, then enable one by one and restarting Firefox, to determine which of them are slowing you down at startup/shutdown.

ikt
September 18th, 2009, 06:24 PM
All I ever get from chromium is an "Aw. Snap!" page! No idea how to debug it either...

start chrome from terminal?

ursus262
September 26th, 2009, 12:06 AM
I'm finding Chrome V4 to be exceptionally fast. In fact I've never seen anything like it. Pages seem to load instantly as if they are cached from the hard drive - even pages I've never visited before. I also use Opera 10 which is almost as fast. Firefox is simply too slow although I understand 3.6 is quite good.

lovinglinux
September 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I'm finding Chrome V4 to be exceptionally fast. In fact I've never seen anything like it. Pages seem to load instantly as if they are cached from the hard drive - even pages I've never visited before. I also use Opera 10 which is almost as fast. Firefox is simply too slow although I understand 3.6 is quite good.

Yep, Firefox 3.6 is almost as fast a Chromium. But I disagree about Opera. Even Firefox 3.5 scores better than Opera on Peacekeeper banchmarks (http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/browserStatistics.action).

northwestuntu
September 26th, 2009, 03:23 AM
wow!! 4 is freakin fast.

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 03:34 AM
it's amazing but I still have a lot of problems, on Chromium and Google Chrome....

Shame, as I absolutely adore the browser (and do use it anyway!) :)

northwestuntu
September 26th, 2009, 03:48 AM
it's amazing but I still have a lot of problems, on Chromium and Google Chrome....

there making great progress so its only a matter of time before they iron out a lot of those issues.

Giant Speck
September 26th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Well, it is still an alpha, isn't it? I mean, the Linux version, that is.

hoppipolla
September 26th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Well, it is still an alpha, isn't it? I mean, the Linux version, that is.

Yeah, and I still choose it by miles over Firefox ._.

I used to love ol' FF but these days it just looks kinda... outdated and.. slow ._. and lacking in polish ._.

SomeGuyDude
September 26th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I have to say, Chrome is VERY swift. Amazingly so.

I'm not sure I can live without Speed Dial, but the rest is doable. And no, Chrome's version doesn't count. The FF extension lets you Ctrl+[number] to insta-load a given page.

northwestuntu
September 26th, 2009, 06:10 AM
im gonna switch i think to chrome after its got a official release. just to damn fast not to.

Regenweald
September 26th, 2009, 06:12 AM
It's great for low bandwith browsing, people like me....