PDA

View Full Version : Haiku OS: What's the big deal anyway?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

koki
May 11th, 2010, 05:13 PM
MediaCenter is based on the latest VLC.

If you are referring to the Haiku MediaPlayer, it is not based on VLC at all. It is a native app that was written from scratch.

Frak
May 12th, 2010, 12:55 AM
If you are referring to the Haiku MediaPlayer, it is not based on VLC at all. It is a native app that was written from scratch.
I must be thinking of an older version.

koki
May 12th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I must be thinking of an older version.

The MediaPlayer has always been a native app, and never based on VLC. You might be confused from the fact that there is an old VLC port to BeOS that runs in Haiku; but this is a separate application. :)

Frak
May 12th, 2010, 02:21 AM
The MediaPlayer has always been a native app, and never based on VLC. You might be confused from the fact that there is an old VLC port to BeOS that runs in Haiku; but this is a separate application. :)
I do recall opening an about box and it saying "Based on VLC branch version X.XX".

NormanFLinux
May 15th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Hardware support still isn't close to Linux in Alpha 2.

What this? No set up GUI tool to make it easy to configure and set up a wireless network.

My major criticism is the menu structure. A mess and still does not look quite user friendly to newbies.

It needs more work before its ready for mass market usage. All I can say is it shows potential.

They should look at what ZevenOS has done with BEOS on Linux.

Frak
May 15th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Hardware support still isn't close to Linux in Alpha 2.

What this? No set up GUI tool to make it easy to configure and set up a wireless network.

My major criticism is the menu structure. A mess and still does not look quite user friendly to newbies.

It needs more work before its ready for mass market usage. All I can say is it shows potential.

They should look at what ZevenOS has done with BEOS on Linux.
For me, it's already surpassed Linux in potential on the desktop. The team is hard at work doing everything Linux vendors have failed at consistently.

lostinxlation
May 15th, 2010, 05:34 AM
The issue of Haiku is it took quite a long time to release alpha version, which makes us think that they might have petential shortage of resource. This leaves the sentiment that even though Haiku goes into full deployment, we aren't sure if the hardware support can be made quick enough and raise the question for the sustainability for long term.

Haiku is going to be my next OS for certain use, but I'm not sure if I'll make it my daily OS.

I'd probably try it once the beta comes out.

Crafty Kisses
May 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Haiku OS <3.

handy
May 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM
The issue of Haiku is it took quite a long time to release alpha version, which makes us think that they might have petential shortage of resource.

This is R1 that they are working on you must remember. It is a total rewrite & improvement of BeOS which is a mammoth job.

Also it took no more than 8 months to get from Alpha 1, to Alpha 2. The Haiku project will be picking up more & more support from people wanting to participate in coding, as the best advertisement they have is their product.

This leaves the sentiment that even though Haiku goes into full deployment, we aren't sure if the hardware support can be made quick enough and raise the question for the sustainability for long term.

They ported over code from BSD to get the wireless happening. I expect that they will do more of this & from Linux also, which makes it so much quicker than doing the initial reverse engineering.

Haiku is going to be my next OS for certain use, but I'm not sure if I'll make it my daily OS.

I'd probably try it once the beta comes out.

I'm expecting some major improvements in the Beta 1, as the Google Summer of Code, has given Haiku 7 programmers (from memory) all of whom have important projects in front of them.

Haiku only has to get sound & video playback working properly for me, & develop their web browser some more & they have won a permanent position on my No.2. system.

free10
May 15th, 2010, 10:32 AM
This is a true alpha. It is not like any alpha Linux has as they are all based on decades of Linux and the same for other alphas that are based on the same kind of thing. It is not made or meant for users but for developers to fix and build and develop apps for it and the aiming point is BeOS 5 for Haiku1 though it will exceed 5 in certain areas. It will not be until Haiku 2 when it changes away from the BeOS 5 form that more changes will start to emerge.

I would like to use it now for my main OS but I need yahoo/hotmail chat software like pidgin. BeOS actually had this 8 or 9 years ago plus many more but either the service stopped working or they can't use perhaps because Java is not working yet with it and that service went to Java based software years ago now on their servers. It was called Jabber.

But as I said it is not made for normal users yet and is not fully furnished and code is changing rapidly and has been for some time and this can make working apps stop working or develop problems.

What they have accomplished to this point is absolutely monumental creating an entirely NEW operating system. It is not BeOS nor Linux or the rest that have been around for decades and are long in the tooth and showing it, and in the reverse Haiku is showing its youth.

Haiku is so young it doesn't even have a how to use manual really yet but then again it is not for production or regular users yet LOL

Like it or not the world will hear more from it in the future and will find more and more people using it as it develops and the word spreads. It is just a baby alpha with some major issues they are still ironing out. Remember too Haiku is not just USA but pockets of fans and developers worldwide and for many reasons. So in a lot ways it has a very strong base or team and it is growing and getting faster to boot. Just an alpha

free10
June 18th, 2010, 09:01 PM
A new article on Haiku titled "Reason to Believe"

http://www.itpro.co.uk/624070/haiku-reason-to-believe

CJ Master
June 18th, 2010, 09:38 PM
A new article on Haiku titled "Reason to Believe"

http://www.itpro.co.uk/624070/haiku-reason-to-believe

Interesting read, although I still think that haiku's interface leaves much to be desired.

Frak
June 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Interesting read, although I still think that haiku's interface leaves much to be desired.
Unlike Canonical, Haiku is more concerned with making everything work before they change it any superficially.

Sporkman
June 18th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Unlike Canonical...

Ouch! :lol:

CJ Master
June 18th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Unlike Canonical, Haiku is more concerned with making everything work before they change it any superficially.

They don't seem interested in changing it, even after all the guts of the os works.

Frak
June 18th, 2010, 10:01 PM
They don't seem interested in changing it, even after all the guts of the os works.
It's smart not to even make it relevant. The majority of the work should be put towards a fully stable system, and not the visual marketing. There are multitudes of other people that could do the job better than developers.

Gone fishing
June 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM

You have to remember that the Haiku interface is basically the BeOS interface, as Haiku is a reconstruction of BeOS. BeOS was competing with Windows 9x and BeOS was massively better.

Personally I quite like the interface, its clean and simple and wastes very little screen space. My guess will be that Haiku R2 will be be quite improved and updated.

MisfitI38
June 19th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Do we need another OS? I don't know, but Haiku makes me believe..
What a sweet little OS.
:popcorn:

handy
June 19th, 2010, 02:48 AM

I don't like KDE at all, or any of the MS Windows GUIs. That doesn't mean that they aren't found to be great by multitudes of other users.

Gone fishing
June 19th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Do we need another OS? I don't know, but Haiku makes me believe..
What a sweet little OS.

Why not?

I think Haiku with enough applications with it's lightning boot times, lightness, responsiveness, and efficient use of screen space would be very cool on netbooks

handy
June 19th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Why not?

I think Haiku with enough applications with it's lightning boot times, lightness, responsiveness, and efficient use of screen space would be very cool on netbooks

I think it will be a great system for media centre systems as well. It also has a lot going for it as a desktop machine too. The inherent KISS principle will appeal to many. Haiku is a breath of fresh air after the inherent complexity & fragmentation of Linux, the monstrous, monopolistic profit driven beast that is behind the MS products, & the tight fisted paradox that controls users of Apple's products as tightly as it can get away with (for its own profit of course).

Provided Haiku continues to accumulate support from developers we should be in for quite a treat.

Disreali
June 19th, 2010, 03:46 PM

I do recall opening an about box and it saying "Based on VLC branch version X.XX".

IIRC, MediaCenter was a vlc port done for Yellowtab Zeta, which was an "enhanced" version of R5 of questionable legality. Either way, neither have been legally available for several years.

NormanFLinux
June 20th, 2010, 04:40 AM
When it became clear that open source BEOS would be years in the making, its key features were exported to Ubuntu in the ZevenOS project. Its as close to BEOS as we're going to get in a Linux system and its still undergoing development. I'm waiting to see what 3.0 will look like when its shipped in November.

handy
June 20th, 2010, 06:10 AM
When it became clear that open source BEOS would be years in the making, its key features were exported to Ubuntu in the ZevenOS project. Its as close to BEOS as we're going to get in a Linux system and its still undergoing development. I'm waiting to see what 3.0 will look like when its shipped in November.

The problem with ZevenOS, is that it is just a front end, under which lies all of the complications & fragmentation that go with making GNU/Linux into a half decent desktop system.

It is impossible to make Linux as fast, nimble & simple as Haiku (or AmigaOS for that matter).

Haiku is so much more than just the front end of a computer system.

NormanFLinux
June 20th, 2010, 06:53 AM
There's truth to what you say but they tweaked XFCE to run fast and they made a usable deskbar. Its not intended to replace Haiku but to adapt the best features of BEOS to Linux until Haiku is ready for prime time.

ZevenOS is easy enough to configure with the included tools and the Zeebar works well for launching frequently used programs.

As long as that is understood, nothing wrong with a good front end to Linux. Once Haiku gets beyond the alpha stage, there should then be a real decent BEOS for every one to use, not just a front end to Linux.

moster
June 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
I think haiku will become roadkill for android. One firm already announced android for its laptop.

LoREZ
June 26th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Haiku is a breath of fresh air after the inherent complexity & fragmentation of Linux, the monstrous, monopolistic profit driven beast that is behind the MS products, & the tight fisted paradox that controls users of Apple's products as tightly as it can get away with (for its own profit of course).

And here I thought Linux was simple. I hear that a lot in Linux forums, or words to that effect: "Just do this, this, and this ... See? It's simple." You probably mean something other than the enduser experience, but when you realize that much of the differences between many of the various distros has to do with differing approaches to making life easier for novice users, you come to understand that Linux is inherently complex.

That's not to say that Linux isn't efficient in some sense (depending on context), but simplicity and efficiency aren't always the same thing. I just hope the Haiku developers understand the difference, because I'm all for more free software -- as long as it's good software. And for me, "good" is defined as a progressive increase in simplicity, efficiency, and functionality.

NormanFLinux
June 26th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Linux added everything over the past two decades so its built out of disparate parts. Its amazing that current desktop environments have managed to make them all look and work the same.

Haiku OS intends to institute a unified approach so all the underlying parts are in harmony with the desktop environment. Which isn't the easiest thing in the world to do. But their developers are getting there.

moster
June 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Everything about Haiku seems just perfect. But, they so lack in manpower that I doubt now that it will be anything usable in long time.

Haiku is unusable without fully capable web browser and open office at least. And one of their developers said that "open office is not coming any time soon"

I think they will hunt bugs and adding new essential features to the OS for years and years. I judge that because M$ army of thousands and thousands of developers need over a year to make final from beta. Let go alpha to final.

urukrama
June 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Haiku is unusable without fully capable web browser and open office at least. And one of their developers said that "open office is not coming any time soon"

You can install KOffice on Haiku (http://haikuware.com/remository/view-details/productivity/office-suites/koffice-for-haiku-stand-alone-installer). KOffice is at the moment still not feature complete and heavily developed, so this could become a very viable alternative to OpenOffice or MS Office.

free10
July 17th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Blogs
lklhaikufs: features galore
Blog post by lucian on Fri, 2010-07-16 21:02
gsoc, gsoc2010, lkl-haiku-fsd

The LKL-based Haiku driver has progressed well in the last few weeks.

The set of features already implemented:

* mounting and unmounting ext3, ext4 disk images*, both read-only and read-write
* listing file system attributes (read-only/read-write, file system size, number of files created, number of files remaining to be created, etc.)
* browsing the contents of any folder on the file system
* listing file permissions, owner, group, type (directory, symlink, regular file, etc.)
* opening/closing existing files, and creating new files
* reading and writing data into files
* creating new directories

What still needs to be done:

* renaming files
* deleting files and directories

* I only tested ext3 and ext4, other should work as well. There's a limitation in the ext4 support in LKL, not related to this driver in particular that needs to be fixed.

moster
July 17th, 2010, 10:46 PM
You can install KOffice on Haiku (http://haikuware.com/remository/view-details/productivity/office-suites/koffice-for-haiku-stand-alone-installer). KOffice is at the moment still not feature complete and heavily developed, so this could become a very viable alternative to OpenOffice or MS Office.

What a pleasant surprise :)

NormanFLinux
July 18th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Haiku still needs:

Package Manager: port of Synaptic
Central Control Panel: port of Linux Mint/Mandriva-PCLOS control panel
GUI Network tool
GUI Menu editor
Open Office and GIMP and access to FOSS software pool.

They get those things in, Haiku will be ready to compete with Windows, MacOSX and Linux.

neoargon
July 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I couldn't play any multimedia file in haiku

gemmakaru
July 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=236331448076587879#docid=-8886611439599748838

"Cool apps like..." wait for it ".. Clock!" wow clock, who knew such a thing was possible.

free10
July 18th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I couldn't play any multimedia file in haiku

Media Player plays many now though it is not finished so lacks the ability to play some, but you may want VLC downloaded for it to play many more.

free10
July 18th, 2010, 11:11 AM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=236331448076587879#docid=-8886611439599748838

"Cool apps like..." wait for it ".. Clock!" wow clock, who knew such a thing was possible.

3 year old video and clock dates back around a decade ago back in the BeOS days.

More up to date videos on Haiku but remember it is still an early alpha.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Lc5WHpj6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY6qxH_G9Lw

http://www.golem.de/1005/75081.html

http://kiwi.kz/watch/43et8vb1v5kr

Legendary_Bibo
July 18th, 2010, 11:26 AM
3 year old video and clock dates back around a decade ago back in the BeOS days.

More up to date videos on Haiku but remember it is still an early alpha.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Lc5WHpj6g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY6qxH_G9Lw

http://www.golem.de/1005/75081.html

http://kiwi.kz/watch/43et8vb1v5kr

60 videos at a time. So it could work as a security guards' monitor. So is it a very memory optimised OS pretty much? I wonder if it uses fbui.

free10
July 18th, 2010, 08:15 PM
60 videos at a time. So it could work as a security guards' monitor. So is it a very memory optimised OS pretty much? I wonder if it uses fbui.

fbui is a linux kernal thing and there is no linux in Haiku, but yes it is fairly sophisticated on memory since the BeOS days 15 years or so ago, as BeOS was designed to be optimized with only 128mb of memory and play many videos at once without dropping frames or crashing and all at only 32 bit at this point with its memory limitations.

I would say only the limits of imagination would limit what can be done with this type of computing power as people jack into the age of tomorrow.

moster
February 28th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Haiku progress stopped at 73% for a year :( link (http://dev.haiku-os.org/roadmap)

Anybody have any informaion what is going on?

K.Mandla
March 1st, 2011, 12:21 AM
Maybe this is helpful? :(

http://haiku-os.org/blog/zooey/2011-02-01_package_management_present_and_hopefully_near_f uture

Disreali
March 1st, 2011, 01:06 AM
Haiku progress stopped at 73% for a year :( link (http://dev.haiku-os.org/roadmap)

That is not a representation of overall progress. It is a graph of the number of tickets resolved that bring the project closer to a release. As the number of tickets that have been solved and been reported are about the same, the graph has not moved.

There has been some major work going on and the best place to see that is on the mail list, or the project website, not a single graph line on the number of tickets.

Bungo Pony
March 1st, 2011, 03:42 AM
Holy crap it's in Alpha 2 now! Simply awesome :)

free10
March 1st, 2011, 03:48 AM

Don't think there is any problem, just working on the things it needs. Here are the blogs for Haiku work and as you read through them for the last years they are not exactly sitting still or stopped.

http://www.haiku-os.org/blog

oobuntoo
March 22nd, 2011, 05:29 AM
Haiku came in number 1 as an alternative to Windows/Linux/Mac OS x according to this article:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/10-best-alternative-operating-systems-934484

I really like what I've read about Haiku and like to see it succeed. It's a shame most of us probably won't live to see that day given the pace of development of Haiku. Even Nuke Dukem Forever makes it final release before Haiku makes it to beta.

moster
July 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Alpha 3 is out! :) Any opinions, insights, anything?

I would install it right now if flash is supported in haiku. But it dont :( Any sign that could change any time soon?

Anybody have doal boot and working something in it? :)

Dustin2128
July 15th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Not a chance in hell of flash support on Haiku- we barley have it on linux. That will become less relevant in a few years, and is already somewhat less relevant with youtube html5- although I don't know if any compliant browsers are available on haiku yet.

free10
July 15th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Alpha 3 is out! :) Any opinions, insights, anything?

I would install it right now if flash is supported in haiku. But it dont :( Any sign that could change any time soon?

Anybody have doal boot and working something in it? :)

Yes flash work is important along with a few more things I think it still needs but these are not for prime time alpha releases.

On the flash there is gnash player (open source flash player) some have got working with past releases and the media player for Haiku does play flash files (flv) and most other codecs now, so maybe some coding to download the videos and have them open in media player.

You might find better answers to your questions here

http://www.haiku-os.org/forum

Primefalcon
July 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I'll ay this, for being a beautiful OS and being so advanced as it is.... its fast as hell plus the ram folders are.... nice....

akand074
July 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM
First time I've ever heard of this

murderslastcrow
July 15th, 2011, 07:27 PM
To be honest, if they have the drivers, most platforms that support Qt and GTK can be good replacements for Linux.

I think Haiku can definitely take the place of Linux when it comes to resurrecting old machines for basic use. There are some interesting design concepts that I actually like in Haiku, and these guys have put a lot of work into it. I wonder if you could get Flash working on Haiku like it works on BSD? *scratches head* I don't really know if Haiku is POSIX compliant in any completeness- I know they've started.

The thing I like about Haiku is that it emphasizes the strength that can come from choosing a single approach with your OS. You can be much slimmer and more seamless when you focus on desktop use on certain architectures. One boot screen, one DE, one installer, etc.

I think that, as open standardization improves, we'll discover more viable open alternatives to Linux. Especially if Gallium takes off- it's available cross-platform, so you could get all the graphics drivers from Linux without even being POSIX compliant.

I think it'd be very interesting to have a new, modern platform, built from scratch with Qt and GTK support with support for cross-platform drivers, specifically tailored to desktop use. Or mobile use, or whatever. As long as you're open and support useful toolkits, I'll probably at least like you a lot. I love Linux, though.

handy
July 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
I just love the filesystem:

http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/workshop-filetypes+attributes.html

It makes for such a brilliant media centre system - fast, handles most all filetypes already & has the ability to easily use the filesystem to create a database of your various types of media collections.

jrusso2
July 16th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I liked BEoS and used it. Haiku is not like that. IT's more like Linux to me.

free10
July 16th, 2011, 06:01 AM
I liked BEoS and used it. Haiku is not like that. IT's more like Linux to me.

Please explain how it seems like Linux to you??

moster
December 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Hello to everyone in this thread. :) It was sleeping for year and a half but now it is time for awakening. Alpha 4 is here and somebody must have try it? What is your opinion about anything and everything about HaikuOS.

Elfy
December 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Off to sleep now, goodnight all.