PDA

View Full Version : Haiku OS: What's the big deal anyway?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

JDShu
September 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Never underestimate the importance of the looks of any program, including OSs, and don't dismiss the issue as superficial. While it is of course most important that the program *works*, the look and feel of a program is what matters to the mainstream audience. Why do you think Ubuntu has focused so much on it? Canonical doesn't expect everybody to customize their way into a nice UI. I've said this before, but the FOSS world is desperately in need of more graphics designers.

handy
September 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM
Never underestimate the importance of the looks of any program, including OSs, and don't dismiss the issue as superficial. While it is of course most important that the program *works*, the look and feel of a program is what matters to the mainstream audience. Why do you think Ubuntu has focused so much on it? Canonical doesn't expect everybody to customize their way into a nice UI. I've said this before, but the FOSS world is desperately in need of more graphics designers.

& never forget that we are talking about the Alpha_1 of a first release?

After which the development will not be restricted by BeOS compatibility.

Don't be impatient.

Why hasn't the FOSS world got enough graphics designers who's work suits your taste?

Regenweald
September 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Is the vmware image configured to do more "out of the box," so to speak?

Essentially, they have basically done all the install work and configured it already, no need to install, just open it with VB and be presented with the alpha up and running.

moster
September 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
I installed Haiku in virtualbox and could not go to internet. I had to change network adapter to "Intel pro 1000 MT" to do that.

When they make support for wlan, and flash, I will load this thing to my EeePC. All I need there is support for movies and internet :D

Frak
September 23rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
I installed Haiku in virtualbox and could not go to internet. I had to change network adapter to "Intel pro 1000 MT" to do that.

When they make support for wlan, and flash, I will load this thing to my EeePC. All I need there is support for movies and internet :D
Tell me why you need flash and I'll give you a firefox plugin to supplant it.

As for WiFi, until someone writes the WiFi stack, none will be available. I don't doubt they'll go the NDIS route.

moster
September 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM

As for WiFi, until someone writes the WiFi stack, none will be available. I don't doubt they'll go the NDIS route.

Without flash I cannot read news sites... and youtube.

Maybe I just need to wait alpha 2 for wlan.

Frak
September 23rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
Without flash I cannot read news sites... and youtube.

Go to userscripts and search for youtube scripts. There are TONS of them to satisfy your need. As for news sites, what are you reading and why did they hire such ****-tastic developers?

Skripka
September 23rd, 2009, 10:36 PM
Go to userscripts and search for youtube scripts. There are TONS of them to satisfy your need. As for news sites, what are you reading and why did they hire such ****-tastic developers?

Because people LOVE shiny and blinky things!

Mulenmar
September 23rd, 2009, 10:55 PM
Because people LOVE shiny and blinky things!

I don't -- guess I'm not people. :P

Anyway, I'm learning a lot from this thread. It's just a wee bit long, but it's very interesting.

@Frak: Other than the YouTube Perfect scripts recommended by gNewSense to replace Flash videos with Mplayer+MP4, do you have any suggestions? And perhaps some scripts that work in places other than Google-controlled YouTube (such as Metacafe, etc.)? This is something I have some major interest in.

If you think this would be too off-topic for the thread, please create another and post/PM the link. Thanks! :popcorn:

SomeGuyDude
September 23rd, 2009, 10:58 PM

CNN's website is atrocious. It annihilates my CPU. Also if you read blogs, they looooove embedded YouTube vids.

yabbadabbadont
September 23rd, 2009, 11:51 PM

The only thing for which I really need flash, is Hulu. (or any other site that uses flash's secure streaming method) As you said, any site that directly serves the flv files can be handled with other plugins. (that work better with lower CPU utilization)

Regenweald
September 24th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Just did some reading on the ARM port for Haiku, would really like to see it's capability when they get around to 64 bit support and it's not bogged down by x86.

moster
September 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
http://dev.haiku-os.org/roadmap

hm... 8 years to 72%. I wonder how long it will take to 100%. Any thoughts?

Stan_1936
September 29th, 2009, 08:51 PM
....Does it bring anything new to the table that Windows, OSX, and Linux didn't already have? Anybody knows?:confused:

It has a sexy name.

But I'm sure that there are other things that it brings to the table.

free10
September 30th, 2009, 01:29 AM
http://dev.haiku-os.org/roadmap

hm... 8 years to 72%. I wonder how long it will take to 100%. Any thoughts?

I would guess two years or less and maybe in less than a year. They seemed to get a fairly good response to it on the alpha release in press write ups and also got a lot page views and downloads.

Put haiku alpha in Google search and you get over a million hits according to google and about a week ago it was only about 511,000. Seems like a lot chatter out there and it is growing.

Now, searching for "haiku alpha" from the 13th of this month until today got about 35,000 hits, but the same words in that order for the same days last month got only 700 hits and the same search one year ago for those days got only 168 hits.

Sep 13, 2009–Sep 29, 2009

Results 146,000 for haiku beos.
Sep 13, 2008–Sep 29, 2008
Results 10,600 for haiku beos.

Sep 13, 2007–Sep 29, 2007
Results about 971 for haiku beos

Sep 13, 2006–Sep 29, 2006
Results about 428 for haiku beos

Hmmm:guitar::lolflag:

BeOS around its hay day in the same period in 2000 at R5

Sep 13, 2000–Sep 29, 2000
Results 162,000 for beos.
Sep 13, 2000–Sep 29, 2000
Results 245,000 for redhat linux

Sep 13, 2001–Sep 29, 2001
Results 14,500 for redhat linux.
Sep 13, 2002–Sep 29, 2002
Results about 27,000 for redhat linux.

Sep 13, 2002–Sep 29, 2002
Results about 30,400 for beos

Interesting point Be Inc and BeOS were no more by then.

Haiku's name in 2002 and that period was OBeOS or Open BeOS and because of possible copyright problems they change it years later to Haiku. Not only this, but BeOS used Haiku poetry in it, in its native browser instead of mundane 404 error messages. These were created by the head of Be Inc JPG so no earlier years searches using Haiku and BeOS relates to the Haiku BeOS of today.

moster
September 30th, 2009, 08:52 AM
@free10
So people do get interested. I know I was, but I was in belief that what is they trying to do is not possible. Alpha prove that wrong. So, I change my mind and it seems a lot of people too.

In one theory they need 1/3 of 8 years to finish this. Or 2,6 years left. This is worst case.
Second, if we put into equation that more and more people do get interested it all depends on interest. I would brake that worst case in half. I believe it would take 1 year!

Hell, why do I do not know C++ and help those guys instead of freakin visual basic :(

handy
September 30th, 2009, 10:42 AM
My thoughts are that the release of Haiku Alpha has generated a great deal of interest; rekindling the enthusiasm of those of us that have been waiting for Haiku to do it to us (as in we have been keeping an eye on it for years). Also, it will have captured new interest from those who did not even know of its existence. Which is great for Haiku.

This will attract more coders, more bug reports & generate more energy for the hardcore team, who I'm sure are incredibly happy with the worlds response to their creation; being the child of countless hours of dedicated work.

Personally I think Haiku v1.0 will hit the scene inside of 2 years.

Time will tell. :)

shafin
September 30th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Just installed it,and first impression is, its Fast, Super Fast. I also like the way of switching between applications, thats sleek.
However, it's what it claims to be, a testing OS. Until it can get developers to write or port programs to it, I doubt it can take off.

moster
September 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Just installed it,and first impression is, its Fast, Super Fast. I also like the way of switching between applications, thats sleek.
However, it's what it claims to be, a testing OS. Until it can get developers to write or port programs to it, I doubt it can take off.

hehe, there is solution for that too. When they do get to final release, it will become compatible with old Beos. And old Beos has enough application. It it rather old stuff, but it is something and people do not have to start from zero.

There is even more. Porting open source apps should not be that hard and they are certainly enough.

Like Handy said, time will tell. It is just about time, not IF anymore.

moster
October 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM
OMG, already first fork of haiku named TiltOS (http://tiltos.com/drupal/node/3)

Skripka
October 4th, 2009, 03:59 PM
OMG, already first fork of haiku named TiltOS (http://tiltos.com/drupal/node/3)

Man, their "About Us" page tells the reader absolutely nothing. Is it actually a fork? Or is it just a *nix style repository system for Haiku? I honestly don't know even after reading.

moster
October 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Man, their "About Us" page tells the reader absolutely nothing. Is it actually a fork? Or is it just a *nix style repository system for Haiku? I honestly don't know even after reading.
To tell you the truth, it is little stretch to call it fork, but it is definitely some deviation from original and first one. I am not too happy that people already start to spread they efforts across multiple versions.

ceti331
October 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
It is pretty clear you never spend time on BeOS. It is still one of the most amazing OSes ever built.
However the use of extensive threading also made it hard to program correctly, today more modern and less drastic (and less efficient) approaches to using multiple cores have arisen such as Apples Grand Central Dispatch.

Interesting point. I was actually very interested in the apple Grand-Central-Dispatch type approach,[particularly with the closure style syntax extention to C]. this is very similar to the sorts of approach you'd use on CELL. one doesn't want s/w thread switching thrashing caches.. and wants tasks that are cache-coherent etc etc.

can anyone elaborate on what BeOS did r.e. threading and if it does map onto the present day case of 8-thread machines

NormanFLinux
October 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
TiltOS is meant to create a version of BEOS with a Unix-style package manager and repository. Addressing the one great weakness of Haiku: a means of keeping software up to date.

It hasn't been released yet. The proposed package management will also be made available for Haiku OS. Its greatest challenge now is getting it supported on modern hardware.

Frak
October 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM
TiltOS is meant to create a version of BEOS with a Unix-style package manager and repository. Addressing the one great weakness of Haiku: a means of keeping software up to date.

It hasn't been released yet. The proposed package management will also be made available for Haiku OS. Its greatest challenge now is getting it supported on modern hardware.
Why not just join the Haiku team and help them get the updating system done at the end, like they want to. This project sounds like it's going to fall flat on it's face. The Haiku team will be the first to say "We endorse our own updater, but not any other 3rd party".

Oh, and why an entire OS when they can just create a program to do the same thing?

NormanFLinux
October 4th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Its not Unix. Its a modern open source recreation of BEOS with added hardware support and a central package management system modeled after Unix. There are Ubuntu spin offs that pay tribute to BEOS but its not the same thing.

keiichidono
October 4th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Let us wait and see.

free10
October 5th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Its not Unix. Its a modern open source recreation of BEOS with added hardware support and a central package management system modeled after Unix. There are Ubuntu spin offs that pay tribute to BEOS but its not the same thing.

It certainly isn't Linux or Unix and doesn't want to be. Not only this but R1 is being done under certain restrictions they agreed to long ago to "keep them honest" and make sure they did not take the "easy way out" and build a an open source dishonest model of BeOS. This is especially true of R1 but not R2 and above where they can branch out and try newer and maybe even better code styles or mixes of it.

TiltOS seems to be an early attempt from 2008 to go off course and use X11 because it was faster and easier to use to get Gimp running on Haiku for him, rather than the harder and longer way of porting it over to Haiku without X11.

http://tiltos.com/drupal/

And it seem to go nowhere for inclusion in the official version. Then this same person seem to do the same for a software manager and it flopped for the same reasons and was not included either in alpha release. (I think)

BeOS had its own nice software package manager in the 90s but for some reason a port of it or a native Haiku version was not ready to go at release time yet with alpha.

It is called Tilt I think for a reason as they try and Tilt Haiku over, or maybe just away from the Haiku mission.

Like I said R1 is under tight development and use rules that will not exist as much in R2 but I doubt X11 and gimp for R2 either Now gimp properly ported over may be possible, and of course it would be welcome as a separate app even if not included in the official Haiku package.

Tilt OS what a name :lolflag:

bbjimmy
October 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM
That sucks. Might wait then as it will be going on a system with multiple OS's and i dont wanna be screwing with the boatloaders everytime.

I install updated haiku images right over old installs ... all the applications I have installed remain and all my data remains in the home folder, I may need to reset video etc, but that is it.

There is no package manager, but there is no need for one.

Frak
October 10th, 2009, 06:27 AM
There is no package manager, but there is no need for one.

^^This

moster
October 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM
There is always need for package manager.

Quick all-in-one-folder solution is not too bad too for time being. In last few years among windows users are very popular portable apps that have everything they needed in one folder and there is no need for installation. I know that use disk space and bla-bla, but it is very-VERY convenient.

shadylookin
October 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
It wouldn't install on my system so I'm using it in virtual box. :(

As someone who never used BeOs I can't reminisce about the glory days. As for Haiku it's definitely lacking in responsiveness. It took 28 seconds to go from boot to useable not exactly the famed 8 second boot I was expecting. It has problems responding to mouse clicks for me. There's keyboard lag for me. Lastly the applications take what I consider to be an unreasonable amount of time to launch. This browser for instance took over 10 seconds

I also think it's a waste to put so much energy into binary compatibility. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing whatever software Beos had worth bringing over to Haiku, could have been built from scratch in less time than it takes to add binary compatibility.

Aesthetically speaking it's nothing to write home about either(except for the desktop background which is nice)

All that said the more open source operating systems the better and I wish the project well and hope for it's continued improvement.

Frak
October 10th, 2009, 08:22 PM

As someone who never used BeOs I can't reminisce about the glory days. As for Haiku it's definitely lacking in responsiveness. It took 28 seconds to go from boot to useable not exactly the famed 8 second boot I was expecting. It has problems responding to mouse clicks for me. There's keyboard lag for me. Lastly the applications take what I consider to be an unreasonable amount of time to launch. This browser for instance took over 10 seconds

I also think it's a waste to put so much energy into binary compatibility. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing whatever software Beos had worth bringing over to Haiku, could have been built from scratch in less time than it takes to add binary compatibility.

Aesthetically speaking it's nothing to write home about either(except for the desktop background which is nice)

All that said the more open source operating systems the better and I wish the project well and hope for it's continued improvement.
Good news, you have one of the only systems that doesn't run Haiku well. Have a cookie. :)

free10
October 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM

Different virtual boxes run Haiku slower or faster, from what I have read. It is not the same as actually booting and running it. I got a faster boot then you got off of the live CD for it, and it is way way way slow. BeOS 5 pro on a single WD 10 gig drive cold booted in 30 seconds, including the bios, with the old Celeron2 and a few hundreds mb of ram.

The backwards linking of Haiku 1 was a goal or point to shoot for or go towards as they built it but only for R1. Yes, there is some very useful software for BeOS/Haiku 1 still around. Many of those dropping BeOS over the years dropped it because their newer hardware failed to boot it, or in some way or another or for some reason were forced to leave it.

Binary compatibility goes out the window with Haiku 2 alpha.

You may want to wait till Haiku Beta because by then it will be more fool proof or easy for the noobs to get mounted and use on their hardware and a lot more bells and whistles should be finished and easy by then to get and install with it. Not knowing what you are missing is a blessing in a way.

keiichidono
October 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
When haiku becomes stable I'd like to see Haiku vs Linux (Distributions) comparisons.

free10
October 11th, 2009, 10:11 AM
When haiku becomes stable I'd like to see Haiku vs Linux (Distributions) comparisons.

I am sure the demos and videos will be out there:lolflag:

I would love to see PC vs Mac ads with Haiku right in the center making a fool of both:lolflag:

Haiku for the last few years has been showing at the Linux shows with pre alphas that were very very unstable a few years back.
Haiku still is very unstable compared to BeOS 5 Pro but in some ways much more advanced and much more is coming. To run a comparison on them versus any other OS might be hard to do once it is more or less complete and see the real differences, for an individual user's experiences perspective with it especially over time. Of course then you have to ask on how many platforms too from eee PCs to really old hardware to some of the latest and most powerful PCs and maybe even MP3 players or cellphones.

To me, as just a user I am getting the choice of my favorite OS system back without any slowdowns and deadends this time, that can be caused by people like Microsoft and at the same time I have Shuttleworth doing what he can, to rattle the very walls of the Linux community to wake them up to serve the average users desires and to break away from the past ways of doing things. This is very BeOS/Haiku type of thinking. Faster, more stable, and easy to use by everyone.

In the old days it was this versus that system, but today with the ease you have of having 2 or 10 systems on a machine it is not so much that way. My plan is for Haiku AND Ubuntu on my machine and that way I can choose which meets my needs the best at any given moment.

keiichidono
October 11th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the perspective Free.

free10
October 15th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Thanks for the perspective Free.

Your welcome and I just found this video review that came out just before release of Haiku alpha for another perspective. It is about 49 minutes into the video so just slide the time bar over to that point on the video, and it may give people an idea of what the big deal is with it or at least a taste. I found myself laughing pretty good as someone new to it explores it some because of the times I saw those reactions back in the day with first contact with BeOS and this person had used BeOS back then but had not seen Haiku.

49 minutes in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XofYcqlrHSg

Oh how sweet it is but what do I know.

Plumtreed
October 15th, 2009, 05:14 AM
(you're)

That video certainly helped understand Haiku a bit more even if you are unable to watch it from the Haiku OS.

I have Haiku Alpha1 on one PC and it is apparent that it has considerable potential and I hope it gets a chance to evolve. It is still very effective and impressive in this basic form.

Thanks for the info!

keiichidono
October 15th, 2009, 05:52 AM
I want to do some Gnome hacking to get it the way I want it, but the Linux world is kinda crappy right now even though the tech is the best yet. All this sexism foolishness and Mono stuff making everyone make noise is bothersome.

I might switch over to Haiku if it proves to be good enough. I'm worried about driver support and application support though. I use an nvidia card and I love Chromium but let's see how this pan out.

Frak
October 15th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I want to do some Gnome hacking to get it the way I want it, but the Linux world is kinda crappy right now even though the tech is the best yet. All this sexism foolishness and Mono stuff making everyone make noise is bothersome.

I might switch over to Haiku if it proves to be good enough. I'm worried about driver support and application support though. I use an nvidia card and I love Chromium but let's see how this pan out.
Up front, Haiku is fully POSIX compliant. Once it reaches more ground to more developers, apps won't be nearly as difficult to port as it would if it were being ported to Windows.

There may not be a tonne of apps now, but the ease of porting makes it much easier and faster.

koki
October 15th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Nnnnnno, you gave a few examples of how it lets me do what I already do slightly better. That's great.

Tell me a DESIGN element in Haiku that's in any way revolutionary...

<snip>

So far I've seen nothing that actually indicates a sweeping improvement over Linux, and believe me I'd love to try out a new OS.

* Pervasive multithreads that result in near-realtime responsiveness

* Database-like file BFS system with support for indexed extended attributes/metadata and live queries

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_File_System
http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/queries.html
http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/workshop-filetypes+attributes.html

* Extensible data translator service

http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/preferences/datatranslations.html

* Easy to learn, simple to use cohesive UI

http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/gui.html
http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/tracker.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccniJHjo_Uw

* Modular media kit

But if you are so keen to try a new OS, just give it a shot and judge by yourself, not by what others may say.

free10
October 15th, 2009, 09:55 AM
(you're)

That video certainly helped understand Haiku a bit more even if you are unable to watch it from the Haiku OS.

I have Haiku Alpha1 on one PC and it is apparent that it has considerable potential and I hope it gets a chance to evolve. It is still very effective and impressive in this basic form.

Thanks for the info!

No problem on me posting it and I really enjoyed watching it myself. I have now worries really about it
getting its chance to evolve this time around. It is open source so it never can really die. The number of fans and coders worldwide for BeOS and now for Haiku is rather impressive in how many cultures they exist in. Not only this but Google seems to be promoting it some and who knows who else may be behind the scenes.

The need for faster, better, newer, and more competitive is always there too and even more so maybe today. Like he said in his review he tried assorted supposedly main OSes and found they all were lagging behind Haiku on his machine even at the current alpha level.

I am wondering how much time is left for the big boys to evolve their old systems before they become totally irrelevant as Haiku gets Wifi perfected, gains flash type web movie abilities and on and on and I think these will happen faster than anyone suspects. Haiku is not "normal" nor in my view a "normal" situation for normal development. It has too many natural advantages by design and it makes fans very very quick and many become extremely dedicated to it. Get just wifi going and what happens?? Now it starts being seen rapidly on a lot of tablets addicting the users and being shown off and others start loading it after seeing this. This ratchets up the chatter on the net for it too. I see wifi being finished in the next 6 weeks, just my guess. Evolving at its best:guitar:

Some kind of solution for flash is probably not far off, hacked or not, to get it working for now. Then they need to slip out some way the illegal, in some countries, codecs they have for it already. I think they have a number of apps that work they for one reason or another did not include in the first release.

I really think Haiku will see a very fast evolution but I could be wrong and I think those involved with it are very pleased by the feedback from the public and its great reception and well wishes including yours and I thank you for it.

Like the guys said in the review it is light years ahead or more evolved then all other systems in many critical ways already and were over 10 years ago with BeOS. It does need to evolve more in a few ways but they seem minor to me in comparison and I think they will get knocked out quite fast. I don't see them needing thousands of apps to take the lead but just a handful of good simple ones to do it that are used all the time. How much VM will change this or things like cloud computing is hard to say but I think most could see how those may boost it more than other systems in its evolution. It was a fun little video for me and I hope others enjoy it and I am glad you did.

Plumtreed
October 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
This is a little 'off-subject' but I'll have a go! I haven't been able to get any audio; what have you experienced?

Any tips or guidelines...:confused:

That sounds like a request for a 'howto' but I was just wondering if the audio is working in Alpha release.......I doesn't for me so far!!

Regenweald
October 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
@Free 10, thanks for the info and the heads up on where to watch the video from. Just burned the live cd, I saw the ability to set thread priority and really realized that Haiku is coded on a different level altogether. That and the anti-aliasing, I like a smooth looking OS.

32 bit kicking 64 bit's ***. Bigg difference when you write clean effecient code. I'm off to the live cd!

free10
October 15th, 2009, 05:32 PM
This is a little 'off-subject' but I'll have a go! I haven't been able to get any audio; what have you experienced?

Any tips or guidelines...:confused:

That sounds like a request for a 'howto' but I was just wondering if the audio is working in Alpha release.......I doesn't for me so far!!

Audio works for me off of the live CD but make sure you try playing several different types of codecs, as some were not included they do have. Most sound cards or on board chips work but they still have not gotten all variations of sound chips working. My onboard sound worked with it but if it hadn't I would have thrown a sound card in I have that would. On boot up there is also safe boot options for Haiku you can get by tapping the space bar on Haiku boot and one option is don't call the bios which might get some problems solved but not sure if it ever affects finding the sound chip and getting it working.

You can find a number of options in the safe boot menu to play with such IDE on or off or Vesa on or off and more to play with which can come in handy at times.

Plumtreed
October 16th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Audio works for me off of the live CD but make sure you try playing several different types of codecs, as some were not included they do have.

Thanks, Free10

Lupi
October 16th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Is Haiku Linux based?

CJ Master
October 16th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Is Haiku Linux based?

*facepalm*

Please at least look at their site before asking this. Or even the first post.

Frak
October 16th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Is Haiku Linux based?
It's based on Rainbows and Jelly Beans.

Regenweald
October 16th, 2009, 04:47 AM

Thanks, I'm still laughing :lolflag:

Lupi
October 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Found it.

"Is Haiku based on Linux?

Haiku is not a Linux distribution, nor does it use the Linux kernel."

http://www.haiku-os.org/about/faq

Frak
October 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Found it.

"Is Haiku based on Linux?

Haiku is not a Linux distribution, nor does it use the Linux kernel."

http://www.haiku-os.org/about/faq

Yes, I believe I said that.

billdotson
October 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM
So is this supposed to be just a tinkering OS or is it going to be fighting for the desktop against Windows, OS X or Linux? (I leave BSD, Solaris, etc. out because they don't even have 1% market share right now)

From what I hear BeOS was pretty technologically advanced for its time and I hear Haiku os is supposed to be an updated version of it (kind of).

free10
October 16th, 2009, 09:40 AM
So is this supposed to be just a tinkering OS or is it going to be fighting for the desktop against Windows, OS X or Linux? (I leave BSD, Solaris, etc. out because they don't even have 1% market share right now)

From what I hear BeOS was pretty technologically advanced for its time and I hear Haiku os is supposed to be an updated version of it (kind of).

Microsoft in sworn testimony told the courts if BeOS was ever to get out to the public on the Windows computers giving people a choice of booting it or Windows on every boot then BeOS would gain apps and after they gained enough people would no longer have any reason to boot into Windows finishing off Microsoft. But they also said more, and that was because of the way BeOS was built it could run on any other hardware and knock out apple and all other operating system companies. Microsoft made sure consumers never got the choice on their windows computers and Jobs once he returned to apple effective blocked it from running on the newer Macs by his actions.

Haiku is like BeOS but in some ways is totally new and improved further. In the BeOS days of the 90s about the only way to get on computers (to market) was to be installed by the OEMs and that was not going to happen because all OEMs and most hardware makers had to bow to Gates or die. Dell and others wanted it on their computers.

Now a days because of the internet and technology changes and because Microsoft is on probation for past criminal acts things are different and Haiku can get into the market and get on consumer devices quite easily. Notice I said devices not just Desktops.

Cellphones, tablets, notebooks, laptops or main computers. Sounds like a major player. It runs way fast on all that OLD hardware out there too.

I would say Haiku is the major player of all once it gets out of Beta. It is not a hobby or tinker with OS or why do you think some Haiku guys are showing it off to major computer players the last few years at shows or at work and all for free.

Gassee who help design BeOS and was the head of Be Inc use to say, he wanted peaceful "coexistence" with Microsoft and was not wanting to replace Windows on computers, but the problem there was this was the same lie Gates told Jobs about his little company's Windows when he and Microsoft worked for Apple while stealing Apple's weapons and then blowing them out of the water, with them and claiming they were Microsoft's products on their first computers ahead of Apple releasing theirs.

Gassee and the boys fully understood what would happen if they could get into the market. They had given birth to a monster OS not in size but in design and operation.

Haiku is major in every sense of the word just is not quite finished. It is the first alpha after all of the first "official" branch of it.

Mornedhel
October 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Microsoft in sworn testimony told the courts if BeOS was ever to get out to the public on the Windows computers giving people a choice of booting it or Windows on every boot then BeOS would gain apps and after they gained enough people would no longer have any reason to boot into Windows finishing off Microsoft. But they also said more, and that was because of the way BeOS was built it could run on any other hardware and knock out apple and all other operating system companies. Microsoft made sure consumers never got the choice on their windows computers and Jobs once he returned to apple effective blocked it from running on the newer Macs by his actions.

OK, you've said that twice in this thread now (at least). Not that I don't believe you or anything, but now I would really like to have a source for that. If there's a "sworn testimony", there should be a quote in a reliable source somewhere.

Edit: "a reliable source" means that blogs don't count, unless it's possible to positively identify the author as someone who was involved in those events. I'd rather have excerpts of the court's proceedings or something.

free10
October 16th, 2009, 12:06 PM
OK, you've said that twice in this thread now (at least). Not that I don't believe you or anything, but now I would really like to have a source for that. If there's a "sworn testimony", there should be a quote in a reliable source somewhere.

Edit: "a reliable source" means that blogs don't count, unless it's possible to positively identify the author as someone who was involved in those events. I'd rather have excerpts of the court's proceedings or something.

It was late 90s during the governments case against Microsoft for being an illegal monopoly and transcripts were easier to find years ago, from these proceedings.

Down in this article there is mention of Microsoft trying to "hide behind" tiny little Be Inc, to show they had real competition out there though the actual testimony from Microsoft is not in the article.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9911/10/BeOS/index.html

Microsoft also admitted to going to their website often to gather intel on what they were doing or planned to do next Be Inc a few years later sued Microsoft for a whole laundry list of illegal acts Microsoft had committed against them and Microsoft paid them 23 million to drop the case. The chargs were many and wide and ranged all the way from manipulation of Be Inc initial stock offering to threatening a major computer company to hide the presents of BeOS on the computers they were selling making it invisible to the customers. Microsoft had also forced another major company to give the priority BeOS code to them and breaking the non disclosure contract they had with Be Inc. This was just some of their illegal acts and attacks to destroy them be it on desktop computers or new small internet devices as BeIA.
A lot of people find this "hard to believe" but the facts are all there for anyone to research and find if they want to dig. It is harder to find though now, then it was then.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-24794398_ITM

My sources were directly from the court transcripts and not an article and in fact much of what Microsoft said in court or were involved in was never reported in detail back to the public by the press. Notice the article on Microsoft hiding behind Be they never give you the actual Microsoft testimony they are referring too. If you think Microsoft was just blowing smoke to hide behind Be Inc to escape monopoly charges you have to look at all the illegal actions they took to stop them and track them anywhere they tried to escape too, to silence them forever and kill their threat they perceived from BeOS.

If you still want me to try and find that obscure Micrsoft testimony transcript I will see if I can find it just say the word.

free10
October 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
It was late 90s during the governments case against Microsoft for being an illegal monopoly and transcripts were easier to find years ago, from these proceedings.

Down in this article there is mention of Microsoft trying to "hide behind" tiny little Be Inc, to show they had real competition out there though the actual testimony from Microsoft is not in the article.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9911/10/BeOS/index.html

Microsoft also admitted to going to their website often to gather intel on what they were doing or planned to do next Be Inc a few years later sued Microsoft for a whole laundry list of illegal acts Microsoft had committed against them and Microsoft paid them 23 million to drop the case. The chargs were many and wide and ranged all the way from manipulation of Be Inc initial stock offering to threatening a major computer company to hide the presents of BeOS on the computers they were selling making it invisible to the customers. Microsoft had also forced another major company to give the priority BeOS code to them and breaking the non disclosure contract they had with Be Inc. This was just some of their illegal acts and attacks to destroy them be it on desktop computers or new small internet devices as BeIA.
A lot of people find this "hard to believe" but the facts are all there for anyone to research and find if they want to dig. It is harder to find though now, then it was then.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-24794398_ITM

My sources were directly from the court transcripts and not an article and in fact much of what Microsoft said in court or were involved in was never reported in detail back to the public by the press. Notice the article on Microsoft hiding behind Be they never give you the actual Microsoft testimony they are referring too. If you think Microsoft was just blowing smoke to hide behind Be Inc to escape monopoly charges you have to look at all the illegal actions they took to stop them and track them anywhere they tried to escape too, to silence them forever and kill their threat they perceived from BeOS.

If you still want me to try and find that obscure Micrsoft testimony transcript I will see if I can find it just say the word.

Here is the Lawsuit filed by Be Inc against Microsoft

http://www.beincorporated.com/msft_complaint.pdf

Regenweald
October 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
@Free 10, question: If proprietary display drivers are not/fully supported yet, how does Haiku achieve such heavy antialiasing and 1000+ FPS in the teapot demo ? I was getting around 235+ FPS in the Live CD.

maflynn
October 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
BEOS was advanced back in the 90s, now not so much now. I loaded haiku in VM to play with and was unimpressed. The developers did a good job of making it binary compatible to a 10 year old OS but little else.

Linux, OSX and even windows surpass haiku in many areas of functionality. This is more of a geek wet dream then a viable OS

Regenweald
October 16th, 2009, 04:25 PM
BEOS was advanced back in the 90s, now not so much now. I loaded haiku in VM to play with and was unimpressed. The developers did a good job of making it binary compatible to a 10 year old OS but little else.

Linux, OSX and even windows surpass haiku in many areas of functionality. This is more of a geek wet dream then a viable OS

Again! great stuff! based on your opinion alone, I shall not use nor be interested in Haiku OS! You fountain of inspiration you.....

maflynn
October 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Again! great stuff! based on your opinion alone, I shall not use nor be interested in Haiku OS! You fountain of inspiration you.....

And you are free to ignore my opinion - you seem a bit hostile to those who disagree with you

free10
October 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
@Free 10, question: If proprietary display drivers are not/fully supported yet, how does Haiku achieve such heavy antialiasing and 1000+ FPS in the teapot demo ? I was getting around 235+ FPS in the Live CD.

I have no idea how they do some of this but Rudolf Cornelissen has hacked a lot of the video drivers for BeOS and then Haiku for the last 6 years or so. BeOS itself got virtually no drivers from the different makers of video cards and was very limited on what video cards would work with it, but it did support VESA mode as a fail safe but it wasn't great and was limited. Now with Haiku they say VESA works really good and is nice. Haiku like BeOS seems to have its own graphics engine as part of the OS which boost normal graphics abilities of video chips somehow. Not sure how that works but it leads to the high FPS and other effects you see with it.

Off the live CD teapot was hitting 2000 FPS on my Q6600 CPU and Nvidia 7300GT with 256mb of ram and 400MHz of GPU BUT it also had maxed out one of the 4 CPUs while the others were loafing and it was running wild and crashed it. Not sure why that happened and I did not investigate it more. I was rather shocked it worked on my hardware at all and just wanted a real quick look around and was mostly pleased with what I saw. Not pleased it did not get me on the internet though it did seem to get the DHCP info. Didn't really try to sort that one out since I was on the CD and I am waiting to get the new drive or drives to mount it. I need to see what cash I have in the weeks ahead and find out if I can run both 9.10 and Haiku in raid zero off of just two SSD cards. I have no idea what I am doing on that end or if it will work:lolflag:

Frak
October 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM

You haven't looked around enough. It's impressive now, considering that Haiku has done things that even modern OS's still haven't done. Smooth font rendering regardless of size, sheer, or angle? Being able to control programs BY THE THREAD? Being able to have a super small icon format that can be resized nearly indefinitely? Have a still very advanced file system? Be completely (I mean COMPLETELY) multithreaded? (To the point where every button is on its own thread)

If anything, the graphics without accelerated graphics still take the cake.

CJ Master
October 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM
If anything, the graphics without accelerated graphics still take the cake.

Could you explain? :)

Regenweald
October 16th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I have no idea how they do some of this but Rudolf Cornelissen has hacked a lot of the video drivers for BeOS and then Haiku for the last 6 years or so. BeOS itself got virtually no drivers from the different makers of video cards and was very limited on what video cards would work with it, but it did support VESA mode as a fail safe but it wasn't great and was limited. Now with Haiku they say VESA works really good and is nice. Haiku like BeOS seems to have its own graphics engine as part of the OS which boost normal graphics abilities of video chips somehow. Not sure how that works but it leads to the high FPS and other effects you see with it.

Off the live CD teapot was hitting 2000 FPS on my Q6600 CPU and Nvidia 7300GT with 256mb of ram and 400MHz of GPU BUT it also had maxed out one of the 4 CPUs while the others were loafing and it was running wild and crashed it. Not sure why that happened and I did not investigate it more. I was rather shocked it worked on my hardware at all and just wanted a real quick look around and was mostly pleased with what I saw. Not pleased it did not get me on the internet though it did seem to get the DHCP info. Didn't really try to sort that one out since I was on the CD and I am waiting to get the new drive or drives to mount it. I need to see what cash I have in the weeks ahead and find out if I can run both 9.10 and Haiku in raid zero off of just two SSD cards. I have no idea what I am doing on that end or if it will work:lolflag:

I see, well, as with all all other FOSS OS'es Haiku worked 'out of the box' for me on my Inspiron 531. Dell makes their machines so nice and generic :)
I'll search for more info on how they achieve their graphics though. It's way too smooth and clean considering there's no acceleration (if I'm correct in that assumption).

With such amazing and in depth multi-threading (I was going to leave haiku alone till 1.0 then i saw the review on you-tube with the GUI for user oriented thread prioritizing so i was compelled to download the live CD :)) I think Haiku is the ultimate gaming platform with no games :P

I have some great ideas for a next gen combat game and can't write a lick of code. So since haiku is written in c++, i think I'll head in that direction ;)

Plumtreed
October 16th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Look, it has to be said! Microsoft was able to get the 'general public' to accept and use PCs. Similarily, Haiku has to develop, rather quickly, to a more practical, easy-to-use operating system.

I'm not a geek, so while I have bumbled and fumbled my way to a Haiku on hard-disk situation it was 'scary' and ominous. Which is exactly the challenge for Haiku devs. Haiku has to be moulded into a simple, user friendly operating system that doesn't terrify the end user.

Without knowing why, I can say it is an impressive thing,I love it, but if I can't use it, it will become just another CD in the drawer.

free10
October 16th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I see, well, as with all all other FOSS OS'es Haiku worked 'out of the box' for me on my Inspiron 531. Dell makes their machines so nice and generic :)
I'll search for more info on how they achieve their graphics though. It's way too smooth and clean considering there's no acceleration (if I'm correct in that assumption).

With such amazing and in depth multi-threading (I was going to leave haiku alone till 1.0 then i saw the review on you-tube with the GUI for user oriented thread prioritizing so i was compelled to download the live CD :)) I think Haiku is the ultimate gaming platform with no games :P

I have some great ideas for a next gen combat game and can't write a lick of code. So since haiku is written in c++, i think I'll head in that direction ;)

Looks like you have the 256MB Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 3D card which I think is about as high as Haiku goes on Nvidia drivers right now.

There is a pinball game I thought that was quiet nice over at bebits but I don't know if is still there or will work with Haiku There are other games too if you look around. If Beshare I think was its name still works with Haiku you might find more. It is more a private torrent thing for BeOS files and other goodies. Of course you can also ask around at the Haiku forums too.

Here is another review of Haiku being used for 7 days.

http://www.osnews.com/story/22351/Seven_Days_in_Haiku

Regenweald
October 16th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Look, it has to be said! Microsoft was able to get the 'general public' to accept and use PCs. Similarily, Haiku has to develop, rather quickly, to a more practical, easy-to-use operating system.

I'm not a geek, so while I have bumbled and fumbled my way to a Haiku on hard-disk situation it was 'scary' and ominous. Which is exactly the challenge for Haiku devs. Haiku has to be moulded into a simple, user friendly operating system that doesn't terrify the end user.

Without knowing why, I can say it is an impressive thing,I love it, but if I can't use it, it will become just another CD in the drawer.

This sentiment has been shared multiple times in the 300+ replies to the thread. No one is trying to de-throne microsoft, no one is trying to 'increase marketshare' We'd just like to have some sensible, informative conversation about an OS we are interested in and it's technical aspects. If you can't figure out how to use Haiku in it's current state, hold on for 1.0

Regenweald
October 16th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Looks like you have the 256MB Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 3D card which I think is about as high as Haiku goes on Nvidia drivers right now.

Nah, I have on board 6500 i think. i forget though :) I really can't wait for 1.0 How long do you bet it will be ? I say one year ( being generous).....

Thanks for the link...

Plumtreed
October 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
This sentiment has been shared multiple times in the 300+ replies to the thread. No one is trying to de-throne microsoft, no one is trying to 'increase marketshare' We'd just like to have some sensible, informative conversation about an OS we are interested in and it's technical aspects. If you can't figure out how to use Haiku in it's current state, hold on for 1.0

Well guess what Regerwald, this sentiment has been expressed again and considering the title of this 300+ thread, it might be expressed a few more times.

I'm using Haiku at the moment so I think I am in the throes of 'figuring it out'.

I am as interested as you in 'it's technical aspects' so perhaps if you want to be in control you should start a 'technical' thread or, better still, a more technical thread on the Haiku forum!

free10
October 17th, 2009, 01:16 AM

Glad it caught your attention in more ways than one:lolflag:

This is an alpha release which is much more for developers than the general public. It has lots of bugs still that need to be cleared and current parts of it are still not finished and added in like printing. Printing flat sucked under BeOS but should be much better now with Haiku when it is finished.

Haiku will be much easier to use than say Linux or Windows when it is finished, for Desktop users. This may cause some confusion for some as they look for the complicated ways things are done on them while missing the simple and obvious on it.

In all seriousness like BeOS, Haiku is a love affair/terrible addiction if you spend too long in it and using it, and no I am not kidding. You are already showing warning signs of this addiction with comments like impressive and love it and you don't know why.

More warning signs are I can live without hardware not compatible with "it". I don't really need flash, Java, printing and this codec or that ect ect, to use it as my primary system.

Just don't ask how I know:lolflag:

juancarlospaco
October 17th, 2009, 01:44 AM
i dont understand...,
they say that are writing from scratch and focused on performance and desktop, but...

32 BIT only ....???

"Support for x86-64 will come in the future, but no firm plans."
:(

Frak
October 17th, 2009, 01:50 AM
i dont understand...,
they say that are writing from scratch and focused on performance and desktop, but...

32 BIT only ....???

"Support for x86-64 will come in the future, but no firm plans."
:(
Nobody would see any benefits from it. No application comes close to even the 512MB barrier. Why code for 64-bit?

If you say "Performance", they've mastered performance under 32-bit. Changing to 64-bit would be pointless.

juancarlospaco
October 17th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Oh, yeah, 64bit is only created for being worse and pointless, sure about that...
Windows 2008 +1 would be 64-bit only, the same with Mac OS X Snow Leopard,
but we stay on 32bit forever because Microsoft and apple are totally wrong...

free10
October 17th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Nah, I have on board 6500 i think. i forget though :) I really can't wait for 1.0 How long do you bet it will be ? I say one year ( being generous).....

Thanks for the link...

I am not sure if you mean Beta or finished in a year. This is all determined by the number of people involved on both ends and the amount actually left to do as determined by the main guys and how far along it is already behind the scenes. This is really impossible to gage for me or even them I think.

The government estimated there were roughly 750,000 BeOS users at one time. I have also seen statements that it was even much more popular in Germany or Europe (can't remember which) and in Japan. This OS was extremely addicting over time for users and many developers. If the word on Haiku alpha is spreading with them like I would guess it is and if they are going back to it as I know many are then there could be a giant speed up in the process.

Besides this it is a different age from the 90s and many more people are use to exploring operating systems and installing them. I think most users today never got to use BeOS back in the day and will be playing with it now as Haiku and many of them might be coders and developers.

I think by the end of the year Wifi will be done along with other progress and once Haiku goes "mobile" a lot more people will see it. There are just too many variables and unknowns to make time predictions.

Frak
October 17th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Oh, yeah, 64bit is only created for being worse and pointless, sure about that...
No, because there isn't a need. When the time comes, and there's enough legitimate demand for it, they'll create a 64-bit version.

EDIT
Also, stock snow leopard isn't 64-bit. Look it up.
Server 2008 is a SERVER OPERATING SYSTEM. Makes sense. Servers in 1993 were 64-bit, didn't mean desktops needed it. To this day, there isn't a great need for 64-bit browsing.

free10
October 17th, 2009, 03:09 AM

Newflash never believe what Microsoft and Apple advertise, for example OSX boots in 32 bits and is not considered a true 64 bit system.

BeOS was 64 bit in the 90s with a 32 bit core. This allows much of the 64 bit advantages but still allows booting and operations on 32 bit hardware. Since Haiku 1 is suppose to closely mimic BeOS it is the same and the people who actually understand all of this and the advanced Haiku system say 64 bits or complete 64 bits is on the list for next versions but there is no real speed advantages over the system they use now and any increase in speed will be minor for Haiku.

Microsoft and Apple have always been much slower.

Regenweald
October 17th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I am not sure if you mean Beta or finished in a year. This is all determined by the number of people involved on both ends and the amount actually left to do as determined by the main guys and how far along it is already behind the scenes. This is really impossible to gage for me or even them I think.

The government estimated there were roughly 750,000 BeOS users at one time. I have also seen statements that it was even much more popular in Germany or Europe (can't remember which) and in Japan. This OS was extremely addicting over time for users and many developers. If the word on Haiku alpha is spreading with them like I would guess it is and if they are going back to it as I know many are then there could be a giant speed up in the process.

Besides this it is a different age from the 90s and many more people are use to exploring operating systems and installing them. I think most users today never got to use BeOS back in the day and will be playing with it now as Haiku and many of them might be coders and developers.

I think by the end of the year Wifi will be done along with other progress and once Haiku goes "mobile" a lot more people will see it. There are just too many variables and unknowns to make time predictions.

I guess I mean Beta or release 1.0 or whatever they decide to call it. BeGeistert is being held in Germany so if i make a guess and assume that the site of the event is an attempt to be centralized then it could be that a lot of core programmers come from Germany/Europe. A lot of stuff to look forward to :)

Regenweald
October 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM

One of the main advantages of the modern multicore processor is powerful multithreading design. One of the main advantages of 64bit operating is the ability to access large amounts of memory. Having said that, Haiku is designed to fully utilize ALL available threads in a modern processor, in doing so, due to it's intelligent design and structure, it is able to complete tasks in parallel while utilizing very small amounts of memory. So what would be the point currently in a 64bit re-write ?

the modern answer to performance problems has been to throw more memory at it, one of the many reasons precipitating the push in to 64bit. The question is, do you really need to access more than 4 gigs of ram in an OS that can perform web browsing, multimedia playback and graphics editing to name a few tasks i had running, all sub 190 megs, from the live CD ?

Rather than pushing tasks to memory, they actually USE the processor. Intelligent design is a hell of a thing.

free10
October 17th, 2009, 05:56 AM

Found it found it yahoo found it :lolflag:

It starts on about page 6

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:lT0zGZMkQekJ:cyber.law.harvard.edu/msdoj/transcripts/0127b.doc+Boies+Allchin+microsoft+beos+platform+ap ple&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/msdoj/transcripts/0127b.doc

I use to have to look this up after Be Inc filed suit against Microsoft, for my discussions among stock investors over at the yahoo boards and it is not easy to find.

"8 A. IT'S NOT REPLACING WINDOWS, BUT IT IS COMPETING

9 AGAINST IT AS AN ALTERNATIVE PLATFORM BECAUSE, PRESUMABLY,

10 THE FACT THEY'RE PUTTING IT ON THAT MACHINE MEANS THE USER

11 IS GOING TO USE IT, AND THAT MEANS THAT THERE WILL BE

12 APPLICATIONS THAT ARE RUNNING ON THE BE OPERATING SYSTEM

13 WRITTEN TO THE BE OPERATING SYSTEM'S API'S.

14 SO, IT'S VERY MUCH AKIN TO THE DISCUSSION WE HAD

15 EARLIER ABOUT MIDDLEWARE, SO IT'S ANOTHER SET OF SERVICES

16 FOR SUPPORTING APPLICATIONS THAT OVER TIME CAN GROW. IN

17 THIS CASE, THE CONNECTION TO COMPETITION IS EVEN MORE

18 DIRECT BECAUSE IT IS AN OPERATING SYSTEM. AND WHEN ENOUGH

19 APPLICATIONS ARE OVER THERE TO SATISFY THE USER IN

20 QUESTION, HE HAS NO FURTHER USE FOR WINDOWS."

juancarlospaco
October 17th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Yes, Virtualization.
More ram for VMs

Yes, future Games.
More ram for games like Savage 2

It avoid the " 32-bit time_t " (year 2038 ) problem too.

Run this on Terminal with user permission (non root):

#!/usr/bin/perl
use POSIX;
$ENV{'TZ'} = "GMT";
for ($clock = 2147483641; $clock < 2147483651; $clock++)
{
print ctime($clock);
}

juan@karmic:~$ perl '/home/juan/2038.pl'
Tue Jan 19 03:14:01 2038
Tue Jan 19 03:14:02 2038
Tue Jan 19 03:14:03 2038
Tue Jan 19 03:14:04 2038
Tue Jan 19 03:14:05 2038
Tue Jan 19 03:14:06 2038
Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 2038
Fri Dec 13 20:45:52 1901

Back to the Future... :)

BTW 64-bit time_t critical date is when the Sun is already dead

benj1
October 17th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Yes, Virtualization.

It avoid the " 32-bit time_t " (year 2038 ) problem too.

is that the time when the world will come crashing to a halt, but wont ? :)

moster
October 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Ok, I installed Haiku in dual boot with win7. To do so, probably because night build haiku and 2 HDDs I had to use bootman (start in terminal, but it is GUI app) from haiku live cd to actually make startup menu. But now it works.

I have OC Intel Dual Core on 3,4 Ghz and everything absoulutely flies. Every app is instant on. Haiku startup is 14 sec, shutdown 2 sec. My whole computer is suported except wlan for now. Hope not for long. Mounting drives are joke comparing to ubuntu and my souncard (Intel HD audio) works without problems also.

During my playing with haiku I had song playing and there was never one sound stutter whole time. Everything is behaving like it should

I see that already exist whole bunch of everyday small aps like ICQ etc.. When they port mplayer, flash and some torrent app, I will probably using it as PRIMARY OS.

omar8
October 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Tried Haiku and all I have to say is that it is amazing.
Although there are a few things that still need looking at:

I dont have any audio. :(
Has a very little number of programs.
Poor graphics.
No flash yet.
Single user with little security.

Although this is the first alpha, and only recently has the development of Haiku accelerated to the rate it is at now (I expect the development to increase more and more as it becomes a more complete OS).
By R2 I think Haiku will become a competitive OS, although I expect that another company might just end up buying Haiku.

Regenweald
October 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
<snip>, although I expect that another company might just end up buying Haiku.

I think that the reason the Haiku developers released Haiku under the MIT license was exactly to avoid that. BeOS was amazing, and Palm in their infinite wisdom bought it and shelved it. It took Haiku 8 years to get back to this point, so i don't think we'll see them eager to sell again.

errigalmarten
October 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I used to run BeOS a while back, and I loved it. I just recently found out about Haiku, and I'm really excited. Even for an Alpha release, it shows a lot of promise. I hope they stay alive to release the final version.

free10
October 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Tried Haiku and all I have to say is that it is amazing.
Although there are a few things that still need looking at:

I dont have any audio. :(
Has a very little number of programs.
Poor graphics.
No flash yet.
Single user with little security.

Although this is the first alpha, and only recently has the development of Haiku accelerated to the rate it is at now (I expect the development to increase more and more as it becomes a more complete OS).
By R2 I think Haiku will become a competitive OS, although I expect that another company might just end up buying Haiku.

True Alpha releases normally are not this stable or normally can do this much. It is used to as a preview of the system
mainly to potential developers and to help developers squash bugs. There are normally a lot of things that need doing. It is not a full install either so software is left out they have.

I think a lot of people will be amazed what R1 will be like compared to this alpha 1 and won't care so much about R2 getting finished.

Don't worry this code can not be bought or sold just used for free under the license terms though you may be right that companies may start using it and developing for it like they do with Linux now. I would think there is a business model out there for the cheapest, safest, easiest, and fastest computers in the world:lolflag:

free10
October 18th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I used to run BeOS a while back, and I loved it. I just recently found out about Haiku, and I'm really excited. Even for an Alpha release, it shows a lot of promise. I hope they stay alive to release the final version.

This can not die LOL BeOS wouldn't have either IF it wasn't for the contracts with third parties on the basic code that by law meant it could not be open sourced and must be kept secret.

This code is wide open and disclosed for Haiku legally, so it only dies if it serves no purpose to anyone ever again and it dies of loneliness worldwide. I think this little picture tells you it is not happening,

http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1133

And thats only those who could make it there. Japan which was a huge fan of BeOS has their website up for Haiku development and you can bet your life the European and Russian BeOS coders are hard at work on it as they hear the alpha was released, and websites are up for them too.

A lot more computers now a days with a lot more computer savvy users and a ton more people on the internet with a ton more ways to spread the news including videos.

The things that killed BeOS just can't happen to Haiku and Haiku has so many more advantages than BeOS did that it will live a long and have a much stronger life, so breath easy and grin.

betrunkenaffe
October 19th, 2009, 05:12 AM
I just listened to the 2 year old video, checked out the site (quick look, I was more interested in the video) and I have to say, this has me intrigued. I don't care if it took 8 years to build it, it looks like they took their time to make sure they did it right.

Will definitely be interested in running in a VM or as a dual boot. I won't touch it until they release 1.0 though but I really want to see this OS when it does.

keiichidono
October 19th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I'm surprised to see so many Haiku lovers (old BeOS lovers) coming out of the shadows like this. Alpha 1 really helped them get discovered. :D

Regenweald
October 19th, 2009, 06:04 AM
What's REALLY exciting to me is to see the amount of programmers capable of multithreaded programming coming together and them having a project to channel their talents into. Haiku is going to come up in leaps and bounds...

keiichidono
October 19th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I wonder if haiku will have any game stoppers. The Mono and Sexism stuff in the Gnome and FOSS world came out of nowhere and is really crapping us up, I wonder if Haiku will have problems like us. I hope not, I really do. I can't wait, I feel like helping out with something. Anything so that I can see Haiku come out faster.

Mornedhel
October 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
The Mono and Sexism stuff in the Gnome and FOSS world came out of nowhere and is really crapping us up, I wonder if Haiku will have problems like us.

How long have you been following the FOSS community for ?

There always have been, and will be, disagreements on the ethical and technical issues.

GPL vs BSD, the Novell deals, GPLv3 vs GPLv2, Debian vs Mozilla (on the trademarked Firefox icon issue), *huge* trolls on whether it was a good idea or not to use a particular scheduler for the kernel with people calling each other names, is Pulseaudio a good idea for a desktop environment and even if it is, why was it pushed in its current state, the list goes on and on... Most of these are recent, but you can probably trace others as far as Stallman's beginnings in the MIT AI lab.

There have been plenty of controversies before. Some are minor debates, some make the news. The Mono issue and de Icaza are just the latest point of friction. The sexism thing/problem has existed for a while as well, it just re-emerged recently.

tirade
October 19th, 2009, 06:00 PM
You know what big improvement this OS promises me over anything Linux has managed to do?

Provide a snappy, responsive GUI.

I've been using Linux OSes since 2001. I've tried every marginally popular distro under the sun. I've switched desktop environments, window managers, display drivers. I've run on Intel, ATI and nVidia display hardware. Without being a developer, I've done everything I could possibly think of in order to boost the 2D graphical performance of a Linux desktop to within 80% of the responsiveness Windows users take for granted.

Either I'm doing something wrong, or it can't be done. Ubuntu 9.04 is particularly horrible on my current Intel hardware.

I love Linux, but without 3D acceleration, no one can seem to lipo-suction out enough bloat from X, GNOME or KDE to make the damn thing redraw the screen fast enough to avoid blocky traces of movement... and that's without running any applications.

Haiku promises a UI that doesn't suck nearly as bad as the BS they write for X, so I'm all for it.

free10
October 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I just listened to the 2 year old video, checked out the site (quick look, I was more interested in the video) and I have to say, this has me intrigued. I don't care if it took 8 years to build it, it looks like they took their time to make sure they did it right.

Will definitely be interested in running in a VM or as a dual boot. I won't touch it until they release 1.0 though but I really want to see this OS when it does.

Just remember it will perform better once mounted on a hard drive.

If you liked what you saw you may really love this clip from Be Inc around I believe 1995. The video they are running back then on BeOS are raw videos most likely or pretty close to it since video compression was not near as high as now and pretty much the same for the audio. The hardware they are using back then should give a lot of people a real laugh. Enjoy

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1659841654840942756&ei=N7fcSq6wIZOorQKvsOnLDA&q=beos&hl=en&client=firefox-a#

tirade
October 19th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'm not biased against Ubuntu or Linux in general. They're very fun OSes, and for a year Fedora was my primary OS. I was a rabid fanboy. I've always enjoyed Linux in spite of its labyrinth of inconveniences.

HAIKU wants us to be able to drag-and-drop to install apps. I think (hope) this little OS is going to really take off because a lot of Linux users have quietly put up with the Linux desktop because it's the best free alternative to Windows so far. I think if a FOSS solution appears that's cohesive, easy, cutting edge and SANE, the nerds and the grandmas will both migrate. If development on Haiku is as easy as it sounds, I'm going to dust off my old C++ books and start contributing.

CJ Master
October 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I'm not biased against Ubuntu or Linux in general. They're very fun OSes, and for a year Fedora was my primary OS. I was a rabid fanboy. I've always enjoyed Linux in spite of its labyrinth of inconveniences.

HAIKU wants us to be able to drag-and-drop to install apps. I think (hope) this little OS is going to really take off because a lot of Linux users have quietly put up with the Linux desktop because it's the best free alternative to Windows so far. I think if a FOSS solution appears that's cohesive, easy, cutting edge and SANE, the nerds and the grandmas will both migrate. If development on Haiku is as easy as it sounds, I'm going to dust off my old C++ books and start contributing.

How does it sound easy? To my best knowledge threads* are a pain in the butt.

*as in processor threads, not forum threads.

free10
October 19th, 2009, 10:13 PM

As they state in a google video on Haiku a few years back there is a ton of C++ code already done via google search for simple copy and paste use for writing new code.

BeOS "lovers" are that because of what you described as the simple methods for dealing with the system for software and the rest and it did have several easy was to install software including a formal installer, that has not been included yet in Haiku.

BeOS was so fool proof it was astounding with many many advancements. Some of those have now found there ways into Windows, OSX, and Ubuntu but only some and a lot never will.

BeOS was simple to use for those with little to no experience with computers. The terminal/command line was not there for the average users to use and was not needed by them. Security was great because it was totally non Unix and there was no security software for it or needed. No FEAR.

BeOS was highly stable and I use to run mine for many months without rebooting and when I did it was usually a storm had cut power, but that is another thing as sudden shutoff did not screw it up and when it powered back up there were the apps on your screen you had open when it lost power.

It never made you wait, as boot ups were fast and so were shutdowns or apps with apps operating in basically in realtime (no waiting).

I think most people in their right mind are going to "love" and operating system like this over time while many hate anything else over time because they are quite the opposite. They don't get "love" from the others but do with BeOS/Haiku. It is the old pain versus pleasure thing.

free10
October 19th, 2009, 10:32 PM
How does it sound easy? To my best knowledge threads* are a pain in the butt.

*as in processor threads, not forum threads.

Maybe not with BeOS/Haiku which is designed for them, unless you want to write software for only single threaded systems, and even those must now change because of multiple CPUs becoming the new norm AND Haiku is coming whether anyone likes it or not and they will have to try and catch up LOL

Trying to get a job or keep one in software may be really hard now if you don't have a lot of actual multi thread experience.

There have been lots of bogus claim for decades saying multiple threads were harder, slower speeds, and less stable, but BeOS pretty much proved this false as anyone can see.

moster
October 23rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
I have a dual boot and I say it is very... hm, not stable but how to say... responsive. I mounted my ntfs drives as read-only and try to play some of HDTV .mkv files. Integrated player did lock up. I must say apps are easy killable without any waiting or system lockup. After that I kill wrong app and I got an empty dektop. After hitting ctrl-alt-del I got a menu with restart option. System restarted in 2 sec after that raving-mad behavior :D

free10
October 28th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I have a dual boot and I say it is very... hm, not stable but how to say... responsive. I mounted my ntfs drives as read-only and try to play some of HDTV .mkv files. Integrated player did lock up. I must say apps are easy killable without any waiting or system lockup. After that I kill wrong app and I got an empty dektop. After hitting ctrl-alt-del I got a menu with restart option. System restarted in 2 sec after that raving-mad behavior :D

It is almost kind of fun to see such crashes and know they don't really mean anything or won't last long or really delay you from playing with it more LOL I am fairly sure they did not include the mkv codecs in this release along with a lot more, and a lot more goodies they have. It makes debugging faster and easier.

This story just broke on them getting Qt4 support with these goodies

http://www.osnews.com/story/22397/Qt4_Ported_to_Haiku_Developer_Preview_Release_Avai lable

The Webkit Arora browser looks kind of interesting to me.

bendib
November 9th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Uh, guys, I do not think Haiku will fall on it's face. I am running it now, alpha 1 that is, using Firefox 2 for Haiku (bon echo) to write this. I am a proud linux user, but I will give credit where credit is due, and credit is due to Haiku. It is really stable, to the point it's almost scary, the system feels realy advanced when you get down to it, and I can PROMISE you, this is not UNIX. It just has a port of BASH and GNU utils, just like the original BeOS. It does not need a package manager, it installs software in three ways. 1. drop into the folder 2. Windows style installer and 3. run the app from a folder. It does not boot on all machines as of yet, and when it doesn't it boots halfway and says PANIC: No bootable partitions found! Welcome to kernel debugger land... But most of my machines will start it just fine. IT boots real fast, and works real good. It only seems to need a 800MB partition as of yet, and since the bootloader does not work as of yet, you can sacrifice some swap and chainload the partition with grub to boot it. I was blown away, you have to try it...

free10
November 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Uh, guys, I do not think Haiku will fall on it's face. I am running it now, alpha 1 that is, using Firefox 2 for Haiku (bon echo) to write this. I am a proud linux user, but I will give credit where credit is due, and credit is due to Haiku. It is really stable, to the point it's almost scary, the system feels realy advanced when you get down to it, and I can PROMISE you, this is not UNIX. It just has a port of BASH and GNU utils, just like the original BeOS. It does not need a package manager, it installs software in three ways. 1. drop into the folder 2. Windows style installer and 3. run the app from a folder. It does not boot on all machines as of yet, and when it doesn't it boots halfway and says PANIC: No bootable partitions found! Welcome to kernel debugger land... But most of my machines will start it just fine. IT boots real fast, and works real good. It only seems to need a 800MB partition as of yet, and since the bootloader does not work as of yet, you can sacrifice some swap and chainload the partition with grub to boot it. I was blown away, you have to try it...

I had some fun with it off the live CD (DVD RW) last night, actually getting on the net. It seemed to fail on doing it before and I figured it borked the dhcp info in networking and sure enough it had the IP address wrong when I looked at it, but the rest was fine. I changed it and was online. Pretty cool and snappy online considering I was using the slower DNS server for this account and had not made any browser mods to increase speed, plus was working off the super slow live CD.

I was rummaging around earlier over there and found this page about the time you posted and thought with all these additions in the last 90 days, and really less, there are no worries about its future. Of course this does not count all the major projects under way or all the improvements to Haiku through bug fixes and other improvements since the alpha release.

http://www.haikuware.com/newest-files-from-last-90-days

You may notice a little flash player or youtube download setup in there on that page that might be handy for now. Haiku is very special and its not about to fall on its face and they will be along later and enjoy it even more.

moster
November 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I decided to install dual boot on one of my computers next to windows7. I installed it from cd but no startup menu was shown, just proceded to windows 7.

Later I found out about bootman. Again start haiku from cd, run bootman(with GUI) from terminal and just select everything and click next few times. Now I have beautiful simple startup menu in color.

I had some problems before with grub1&2 maybe because 2 HDDs (SATA and IDE) and when windows 7 was installed with that special 100MB boot partition, everything fall apart.

NormanFLinux
November 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM
BEOS partitions may not be recognizable to Windows. That is where Linux is superior in happily being able to co-exist alongside Windows. But give Haiku time to work out that bug.

chillicampari
November 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Actually- using the old Intel port, they (Win and BeOS) co-existed great on one of my machines until a Windows upgrade dusted it (IIRC). And I've had problems in the past with Windows/Linux dual setups, so I don't know that's it's a Linux superiority thing necessarily, maybe just that Windows is less likely to eat it now.

moster
December 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
OMG, they need at least 8 months for alpha 2. They have looooooooong way ahead for final release... We are talking about several years. What a cold shower...

Frak
December 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
OMG, they need at least 8 months for alpha 2. They have looooooooong way ahead for final release... We are talking about several years. What a cold shower...
Several years ain't bad.

DeadSuperHero
December 23rd, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm not gonna lie, probably as soon as they support ndiswrapper or some equivalent, I'll probably switch my OS on my laptop.

They're also working on adopting Qt, meaning some of my favorite Qt-based apps will go native. Perhaps even some KDE ones, who knows?

Exciting times, these are.

free10
December 23rd, 2009, 09:14 PM

There are people already using it for their primary OS and the only finished OSes are the dead ones. There is no time table or schedule for advancements because it all depends on the amount of work still needed and the number of people working on them. When they do release they seem to release a higher quality of work and more completeness than most would expect for such a similar release state from other operating systems.

Now if you want to try out the latest builds you can go here for the latest CD builds on the way to the next public release.

http://haiku-files.org/cd/

Or here for VM Images
http://haiku-files.org/vmware/

For new optional packages here

http://haiku-files.org/files/optional-packages/

The excitement never ends :lolflag:

And neither do the articles like below asking if Haiku is the perfect operating system.

http://www.osnews.com/story/22640/Haiku_A_Perfect_Desktop_Operating_System_

Be there or be square:lolflag:

NormanFLinux
January 4th, 2010, 01:37 AM
If you need immediate wireless support, ZevenOS is a good stand-in until Haiku is brought up to speed. They do support the Haiku project.

moster
January 4th, 2010, 10:57 PM
I must say that haiku run very, VERY good on my intel G31 chipset. No slowdown or choking. I cannot say that for linux. Wireless stack development is somehow stall. As soon as developers make it work and compatible flash and browser appear, I would say that would be a breaktrough for Haiku.

I am holding my fingers crossed that will all work on alpha 2.

Why not same billionaire invest some money so things could start rolling faster. :)

I was somehow hoping that google android would be haiku based, but :(

free10
January 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I must say that haiku run very, VERY good on my intel G31 chipset. No slowdown or choking. I cannot say that for linux. Wireless stack development is somehow stall. As soon as developers make it work and compatible flash and browser appear, I would say that would be a breaktrough for Haiku.

I am holding my fingers crossed that will all work on alpha 2.

Why not same billionaire invest some money so things could start rolling faster. :)

I was somehow hoping that google android would be haiku based, but :(

Wifi isn't exactly stalled with drivers already for these chipsets since the alpha release.
* aironetwifi supporting at least
o Cisco Aironet 350 Series
o Aironet PCI4500
o Aironet PCI4800
* atheroswifi supporting almost every chipset outthere (though no AR9285 chips)
* broadcom43xx supporting
o BCM4301, BCM4306, BCM4307, BCM4309, BCM4311, BCM4312 and BCM4318
* iprowifi2100 supporting the 2100 chips
* iprowifi2200 supporting
o 2200BG
o 2225BG
o 2915ABG
* iprowifi3945 supporting the 3945 chips
* iprowifi4965 supporting the 4965 chips
* marvell88w8335 supporting
o Marvell Libertas 88W8310
o Marvell Libertas 88W8335
* marvell88w8363 supporting the 88W8363 chips
* ralinkwifi supporting
o RT2560
o RT2561S
o RT2561
o RT2661
* wavelanwifi supporting at least
o 3Com Airconnect
o GLPRISM2 WaveLAN
o Intersil Prism3
o Intersil Prism2.5
o Linksys WDT11
o Netgear MA301
o PRISM2STA WaveLAN
o Siemens SpeedStream
o SMC 2602W
o Us Robotics 2415
o Addtron AWA-100 PCI

http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1139

Someone has open flash going already just don't know how well yet and I agree flash is a biggie. I know Google was helping out in some ways the last 3 years or more and it sure wouldn't surprise me in the future to see more help and money coming from more places.

Qt4 seems to be coming right along thanks to the Russians.

http://www.osnews.com/story/22678/Qt4_Port_for_Haiku_Matures

Dark Aspect
January 5th, 2010, 05:54 AM
I have Haiku running via virtualbox and I am personally dying for either a beta/release candidate. Seems like a speedy OS even through virtualization.

moster
January 6th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Wifi isn't exactly stalled with drivers already for these chipsets since the alpha release....

Thanks for info :) I was obviously wrong. Development is little slow but steady. I am little nervous because of waiting for alpha 2 :)

At this point I give it up on Ubuntu completely. I do not wish to speak about my reasons, lets just say that Ubuntu 9.10 is dead end for me. :(

Haiku is my best chance to get off windows in near future. I hope this thread will be alive so I can congratulate you for having faith from begining :)

free10
January 7th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Thanks for info :) I was obviously wrong. Development is little slow but steady. I am little nervous because of waiting for alpha 2 :)

At this point I give it up on Ubuntu completely. I do not wish to speak about my reasons, lets just say that Ubuntu 9.10 is dead end for me. :(

Haiku is my best chance to get off windows in near future. I hope this thread will be alive so I can congratulate you for having faith from begining :)

My view of Haiku comes from years of experience of using BeOS and understanding it somewhat, and also watching how its fans and developers responded to its near death and then nursed it along in critical condition for almost 10 years, until it all gave birth to Haiku and it could stand on its own legs and take its first steps.

I will keep running Ubuntu probably of some flavor on a separate drive from Haiku, when I get a second new large drive to mount Haiku on. This will protect from drive failure or OS failure and gives you a lot more choices for software. I won't touch 9.10 either.

Time rolls on and so does Haiku and I sure don't see either one stopping or even slowing. It is a force all its own and that is hard to explain to most people unless they have used it for awhile.

There will be alpha 2 and then 3 and 4...and R1 and R2 and on and on. Someone has already forked it, though not a legal one since the last anyone looked they were not meeting its MIT license requirements for doing so.

I go over here to Bebits daily to check for OSnews stories related to Haiku
http://www.bebits.com/

bornagainpenguin
January 8th, 2010, 05:02 AM

I fear the fiasco that has been the last two releases of Ubuntu has also placed me in that camp. The main thing holding me to Linux now is the Gnome desktop environment which is simply my preferred way of doing things on a computer. I'm looking in to options for other distros, but when the time comes if there are drivers for my hardware (including WiFi and webcams) and the type of applications I need available on Haiku, then I know where I'm going...

Canonical really made some bad decisions here when they chose to go ahead and release even though they knew there were ridiculous bugs included in their "final" that would cause all sorts of issues for their users... All those "won't fix" and the strange idea that everyone would be willing to wait around for "upstream" to fix problems instead of leaving for upstream or for something better... Its come back to haunt them, as people become increasingly fed up.

We might have to wait awhile for the final of Haiku R1, but at least we'll know when it is released that it works.

--bornagainpenguin

Groucho Marxist
January 8th, 2010, 06:23 AM
I'll will admit that I don't closely follow Haiku's development. But from reading comments about it over at the osnews.com, it seems such a big deal to a lot of people. I tried to find out more about Haiku, which took 8 years just to reached apha 1, but simplt don't find anything special about it. Maybe I'm missing something. Does it bring anything new to the table that Windows, OSX, and Linux didn't already have? Anybody knows?:confused:

I don't know why
Haiku is installed by some;
I use Ubuntu on laptop.

CJ Master
January 8th, 2010, 07:08 AM
I don't know why
Haiku is installed by some;
I use Ubuntu on laptop.

Uh. 4-7-8 with no season is certainly a "creative" approach to haiku?

starcannon
January 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
I'll will admit that I don't closely follow Haiku's development. But from reading comments about it over at the osnews.com, it seems such a big deal to a lot of people. I tried to find out more about Haiku, which took 8 years just to reached apha 1, but simplt don't find anything special about it. Maybe I'm missing something. Does it bring anything new to the table that Windows, OSX, and Linux didn't already have? Anybody knows?:confused:
The anti-religious(anti-religious is the new "alternative") don't like anything unless its "different"(alternative). That said, I think Haiku is a great project, but I'll leave it to hobbiests and people with time to fart around. I have work to do, I use Ubuntu and VirtualBox XP.

free10
March 20th, 2010, 10:57 PM
Recent reports on how Haiku is coming along with this recent mp3 interview on it. He gets a few answers wrong like about gnash progress and the amount of memory is 4 gigs maybe more Haiku can use now.

http://cdn4.libsyn.com/omnestv/device_drivers_e1_2010.03.07.mp3?nvb=2010032015520 1&nva=20100321160201&t=0ed75246fbb2145847811

Here is a report on how WebPositive is coming
http://www.haiku-os.org/blog/stippi/2010-03-19_webpositive_matures

As a side note Gnash as a flash player is almost ready to go for Haiku and looks to be playing outside the browsers and using media kit instead of the normal way gnash would work and both should be an improvement I would think over the normal gnash operation. We shall see.

The next major Haiku alpha release will be in the weeks ahead rumor has it.

kyteflyer
March 21st, 2010, 01:41 AM
I used to use BeOS on my old PC hardware. Wonder how it would go on thet netbook. My recollection of it was that it was really persnickety about what hardware would allow it to run and more often than not, simply wouldn't install. I've never got it working inside a virtual machine on PC or Mac architecture. My curiosity and need to fiddle is getting the better of me, so I'm goinbg to d/l and see how it goes. Hope it still runs apps from BeBits.

handy
March 21st, 2010, 02:07 AM
Apparently the primary goal is to have the first release 100% compatible with BeOS applications.

After the first release they will set new goals.

Great project, I've been watching it for years.

free10
March 21st, 2010, 04:10 AM
I used to use BeOS on my old PC hardware. Wonder how it would go on thet netbook. My recollection of it was that it was really persnickety about what hardware would allow it to run and more often than not, simply wouldn't install. I've never got it working inside a virtual machine on PC or Mac architecture. My curiosity and need to fiddle is getting the better of me, so I'm goinbg to d/l and see how it goes. Hope it still runs apps from BeBits.

The alpha release is a live CD too so you can try it out but watch for the second one coming out in weeks. It should be much more advanced and a lot less buggy. Haiku works over a broader range of hardware than BeOS did and more is coming. It is fun to see the old icons light up again on boot:D

free10
March 21st, 2010, 04:52 AM
Apparently the primary goal is to have the first release 100% compatible with BeOS applications.

After the first release they will set new goals.

Great project, I've been watching it for years.

Right the target was the original BeOS and its apps but after 1 comes 2 and they can break free more on it and I think 1 will get even more advancements after the main team switches over to 2. Each version might take on a life of its own :lolflag:

CJ Master
March 21st, 2010, 05:23 AM
I still don't see the point of 100% compatibility with dirt-old applications.

free10
March 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM
I still don't see the point of 100% compatibility with dirt-old applications.

Have you used them??

The idea for aiming for the BeOS apis I think you call them was to give them a specific focus point or aiming point for this brand new OS to hit. Haiku has brand new apps as well as a repository of older apps with many of them being quite good and fun. I would recommend anyone who doesn't like fun to stay clear of Haiku entirely because it just won't work out between the two of you.

keiichidono
April 8th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Haiku Hires Several Contractors, Pushes for Alpha 2 & Beyond

Haiku, everybody's favourite open source BeOS recreation, is currently undertaking a push towards a second alpha release, a beta, and even R1. Thanks to funds raised, Haiku has been able to hire several contractors to code full-time for the project, leading to serious progress...
SOURCE: http://www.osnews.com/story/23121/Haiku_Hires_Several_Contractors_Pushes_for_Alpha_2 _Beyond

chillicampari
April 8th, 2010, 08:38 AM
^ that is *so* cool.

Crunchy the Headcrab
April 8th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Programming for the same amount of money you can get flipping burgers. This economy IS bad! :P

free10
April 8th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I was having fun with the alpha1 tonight for about 4 hours off the DVDRW I put it on months ago. I tried Sea Monkey which I used to use with BeOS and it seemed to work fine just as I got it from Bebits and it is faster. Downloaded BeShare and it worked fine. Tried CLAmp and it sent me into kernel panic and welcome to debug land LOL Oh well I had played enough with it for tonight. Can't wait for 2 and getting it on its own hard drive.

free10
April 10th, 2010, 04:31 AM
More great news as Webkit2 was just released and Webpositive is being built for Haiku from it. Webkit2 has multiprocessor support which should really fly with Haiku.

http://www.osnews.com/story/23133/Apple_Drops_WebKit_2_Code_Adds_Multiprocess_Browsi ng

lien_meat
April 10th, 2010, 07:35 AM
You need an Atheros wireless card. Its Linux-friendly. I'd ditch the Netgear if I was you.

Meh

Lies. I have a atheros 5006, and ever since 9.04 it drops connections and doesn't work after a resume. The broadcom card I have works better in ubuntu. It's sad, and terrible, but it's true.

handy
April 10th, 2010, 11:04 AM
It's sad, and terrible, but it's true.

For you.

Doctor Mike
April 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Hi Handy. Don't know if your following this thread anymore, but... If you are I'd like to ask a couple of questions. First I've got to say this OS is fast. The live cd booted to a functional state in about 13 seconds. It did incredible 3d video with my old ati radeon ve (rev100). Everything worked out of the box except DHCP. The sis900 eithernet card was correctly detected, but network connection was not resolved.

I guess that is my primary question... could you point me in the right direction for correcting this problem? I checked in boot/system/preferences/network which showed only an IP and Subnet mask both of which don't match what's displayed in Ubuntu. Would like to take this system for an Internet run... Thanx...

Disreali
April 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM
The best places to ask would be the Haiku Development mail-list:

http://www.freelists.org/list/haiku-development

or you could also seach our dev-trac to see if there is an open ticket on such issues. It looks like it is already a known issue as there are three tickets open.

http://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&summary=%7Esis900&order=priority

I hope this helps.

-D

Doctor Mike
April 12th, 2010, 10:23 PM
The best places to ask would be the Haiku Development mail-list:

http://www.freelists.org/list/haiku-development

or you could also seach our dev-trac to see if there is an open ticket on such issues. It looks like it is already a known issue as there are three tickets open.

http://dev.haiku-os.org/query?status=assigned&status=closed&status=new&status=reopened&summary=%7Esis900&order=priority

I hope this helps.

-D
Thank you and much cool..., but because of the backlog of open tickets I'm happy to test any off the wall patch. Especially running live cd and even if all creation were to end I'm backed up to the forensic level...

Paradox Uncreated
April 12th, 2010, 10:54 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6919895628755665881#docid=23633144 8076587879

Seems to be an OS project, with a less modular philosophy than Linux.

I'm working on optimizing Ubuntu LL for the desktop though, I'm getting very good results already.

http://www.paradoxuncreated.com/articles/Millennium/Millennium.html

free10
April 12th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Hi Handy. Don't know if your following this thread anymore, but... If you are I'd like to ask a couple of questions. First I've got to say this OS is fast. The live cd booted to a functional state in about 13 seconds. It did incredible 3d video with my old ati radeon ve (rev100). Everything worked out of the box except DHCP. The sis900 eithernet card was correctly detected, but network connection was not resolved.

I guess that is my primary question... could you point me in the right direction for correcting this problem? I checked in boot/system/preferences/network which showed only an IP and Subnet mask both of which don't match what's displayed in Ubuntu. Would like to take this system for an Internet run... Thanx...

The alpha did get most of my internet data right except for the IP number and I went to static in the network window I think its called and replaced it manually with the right IP and I was online. I tried a newer nightly build a few months ago and it got my numbers right but it had media problems the alpha didn't have.

Doctor Mike
April 13th, 2010, 12:36 AM
The alpha did get most of my internet data right except for the IP number and I went to static in the network window I think its called and replaced it manually with the right IP and I was online. I tried a newer nightly build a few months ago and it got my numbers right but it had media problems the alpha didn't have.Thank you, my build was ony a few day old, but I think demo is what's on the developers minds right now. Their 3d performance on an old ATI card will eventually get the attention of many OS users (Linux included). I think they have been trying to build backward compatability... which makes sense, because I can still get more work done with older OS's, faster, Linux included... Newer is not better, it just has potential (most of it unused and wasted on poor memory and cpu management).

Disreali
April 13th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Actually, the release of Alpha2 is the focus right now. As for graphics cards, my Radeon is not supported, yet our VESA graphic driver is simply _awesome_. I wish I knew who to that for that. Yes, compatibility with BeOS R5 is indeed the main goal for r1. As is being usable on older hardware.

http://www.haiku-os.org/about/faq#11

Doctor Mike
April 13th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Actually, the release of Alpha2 is the focus right now. As for graphics cards, my Radeon is not supported, yet our VESA graphic driver is simply _awesome_. I wish I knew who to that for that. Yes, compatibility with BeOS R5 is indeed the main goal for r1. As is being usable on older hardware.

http://www.haiku-os.org/about/faq#11
And that supports my cause of reusing/recycling pc's and other systems and parts. Cool... +1. Freecycle your way to heaven or whatever suites.

robertneville777
April 19th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Holy crap! This thing fricking flies! Just placed this as my secondary OS.

Oh yeah, installing apps is way, way easier on Haiku too! :guitar:

moster
April 21st, 2010, 10:31 PM
Good to see you all again :)

I had dual boot on my computer even with alpha1 + xp. It was not very usefull :) Alpha2 is anounced for 5.10.2010 and that is only 20 day countdown!

I am still waiting that day when will XP became that "other" OS on my computer :)

Mark76
April 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM
Are you sure it's May the 10th and not the 5th of October?

agnes
April 21st, 2010, 11:47 PM
Sadly enough I couldn't get it to play any movie file (mp4/wmv/avi/mkv) - nor any music file (mp3/ogg/whatever). Seems ironic because BeOS was praised as a multimedia OS :)
Also, the browser often caused errors. The minor one being it sometimes kept running even though I closed it and wouldn't open anymore, and the major one being a kernel error or something (got me into kernel debug screen).
This was on a Pentium IV with full install btw. (I have Puppy and XP running fine on it.)

I really liked the interface/interaction manners, though, it looks very elegant. The file manager is awesomely simple. Also liked the painting program's interface. So yeah, I'm looking forward. To the date they will fix this stuff. Also to test if their install process will suit me, because it's very different, drag & drop apps, how does that work with the same libraries for different apps, I wonder.

urukrama
April 22nd, 2010, 01:31 AM
Are you sure it's May the 10th and not the 5th of October?

It is May 10: http://www.haiku-os.org/news/2010-04-21_launch_sequence_initialized_r1_alpha_2_countdow n_t_minus

handy
April 22nd, 2010, 02:14 AM
Also to test if their install process will suit me, because it's very different, drag & drop apps, how does that work with the same libraries for different apps, I wonder.

Interesting question.

The Amiga used to (don't know about AmigaOS4 though I expect it is the same) have applications in their own directory but there was a another directory that had shared libraries. These libraries were (from my memory) rarely added to though some people wrote replacement libraries that were more efficient (eventually becoming the standard) & there were upgrades with new system versions.

The Apple OS < = 9, had applications entirely in their own directory. I copied Photoshop off of a Mac HDD onto a CD & could run it off of that CD on another Mac!

These days there are some files thrown around outside of the application directory in OS X, though I'm not up on exactly how it works as though I own it I rarely run it because I don't like it.

I personally don't mind if there are duplications of some files in Haiku, (if that's what they will do) as the simplicity of having an entire tool/app' contained in its own directory is beautiful to me, as opposed to the copy protection induced nightmare of the registry, /system & the like structure that windows uses; all that complexity is just asking for trouble.

free10
April 22nd, 2010, 04:53 AM
Sadly enough I couldn't get it to play any movie file (mp4/wmv/avi/mkv) - nor any music file (mp3/ogg/whatever). Seems ironic because BeOS was praised as a multimedia OS :)
Also, the browser often caused errors. The minor one being it sometimes kept running even though I closed it and wouldn't open anymore, and the major one being a kernel error or something (got me into kernel debug screen).
This was on a Pentium IV with full install btw. (I have Puppy and XP running fine on it.)

I really liked the interface/interaction manners, though, it looks very elegant. The file manager is awesomely simple. Also liked the painting program's interface. So yeah, I'm looking forward. To the date they will fix this stuff. Also to test if their install process will suit me, because it's very different, drag & drop apps, how does that work with the same libraries for different apps, I wonder.

Are you talking about using the alpha 1 build or were you using an overnight build?? The alpha will play movies but is buggy/crash prone on the live CD. It does not seem to have a MKV decoder though on it. Now I tried a later overnight build on a live CD and it was not playing movies. Drats LOL

Some codecs and movie types might need VLC to play. Alpha 2 has a lot of work and updating in it for better media and codec play back plus much much more. QT has been updated too
http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1152

Don't know what they will have in the alpha 2 but remember whatever they have included it will be only part of the software available for Haiku.

Disreali
April 22nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
It is indeed quite elegant and very much like the Amiga example you gave.

It is very nice to see that many poeple outside of the Haiku community are also interested in Haiku.

Disreali
April 22nd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Some codecs and movie types might need VLC to play. Alpha 2 has a lot of work and updating in it for better media and codec play back plus much much more. QT has been updated too
http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1152

Don't know what they will have in the alpha 2 but remember whatever they have included it will be only part of the software available for Haiku.

The latest nightly plays most media file quite well. Only flv's need vlc at the moment, since our version is older, it does not play the newer flv versions.

Neither vlc nor qt will be included. Vlc because we hope to have MediaPlayer work out of the box, and if you really need vlc, it can easily be install afterward.

Ive played with the QT bits, though it will allow you to install a newer version of vlc.

free10
April 22nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
The latest nightly plays most media file quite well. Only flv's need vlc at the moment, since our version is older, it does not play the newer flv versions.

Neither vlc nor qt will be included. Vlc because we hope to have MediaPlayer work out of the box, and if you really need vlc, it can easily be install afterward.

Ive played with the QT bits, though it will allow you to install a newer version of vlc.

I was just telling her the first alpha did play some of them but was buggy/crash prone at times and that a later nightly didn't. Nightly builds are not all stable releases and one might work and the next one doesn't work well because of a change. This should happen less and less with time.

The last time I looked what was going to be included in alpha 2 had not been decided but I am sure there is a lot of good software that won't be that people can downloaded and use with it like you said. Beshare is one of the secret places to look:lolflag:

I am sooo looking forward to alpha2 and getting it mounted on a new Samsung 1T F3.

moster
April 22nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
I was wondering is there somewhere database/list of compatibile devices? Maybe it is too early for asking but... :)

free10
April 22nd, 2010, 08:02 AM
I was wondering is there somewhere database/list of compatibile devices? Maybe it is too early for asking but... :)

Nothing real good or reliable. The best way is just to try the Live CDs or usb sticks and see what works.

note32
April 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
just curious if Haiku OS still being developed? its been in alpha 1 for ages:-k

Mark76
April 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
This makes me almost wish I still had a 32 bit computer.

tadcan
April 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
The 10th of May is the tentative release date (http://www.haiku-os.org/news/2010-04-21_launch_sequence_initialized_r1_alpha_2_countdow n_t_minus) for alpha 2.

It has a small but dedicated group of coders. It is small, but not dead.

Chronon
April 22nd, 2010, 08:54 AM
just curious if Haiku OS still being developed? its been in alpha 1 for ages:-k

Considering how long it took to get to Alpha 1, I would say its progress is accelerating.

note32
April 22nd, 2010, 08:56 AM
sweet! this os has some serious potential:biggrin: i'd hate to see all that work go to waste

K.Mandla
April 22nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
I am eagerly awaiting its release, too. Haiku is amazing stuff.

tica vun
April 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Agreed, I've been trying out the nightly images in a VM for ages now, I'll probably install alpha 2 on real hardware.

samalex
April 22nd, 2010, 02:42 PM
I've been running Haiku OS in VirtualBox for some time now, but unfortunatley there's not much software support so other then the geewiz of it there's not much it can do. Back in the BeOS days I installed it and tried to use it for a short while, but again the lack of application support was the killer.

I love Linux and will never part from it, but I'd enjoy trying non-mainstream operating systems as a 'daily driver' for a short while, whether that be Haiku OS, AROS, or others.

Sam

whiskeylover
April 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Its undead

c00lwaterz
April 22nd, 2010, 03:52 PM
is haiku os also linux base?

thanks

Ravernomina
April 22nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
is haiku os also linux base?

thanks

Its Based off of beOS A Operating system that MS smut out... beOS was an amazing OS from what people told me. Do a Friendly google search :D

c00lwaterz
April 22nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
i saw in the internet it was build in c++ unix? i am confuse. inspired by beos of palm.

c00lwaterz
April 22nd, 2010, 04:00 PM
here is the link i have found

http://www.haiku-os.org/about/faq#2

Ravernomina
April 22nd, 2010, 04:04 PM
here is the link i have found

http://www.haiku-os.org/about/faq#2

beOS was a UNIX based OS Like Linux. But beOS as seen was made in C++ and not C, also beOS was made to be more based off of UNIX i think. Unlike Linux which strayed the path and is now making itself its own OS category

c00lwaterz
April 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
so they the haiku is more of unix like the freebsd. the difference is they don't use kernels and linux.

I saw the video and it is still in development stage.

whiskeylover
April 22nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
so they the haiku is more of unix like the freebsd. the difference is they don't use kernels and linux.

I'm pretty sure they use a kernel. The kernel is nothing but the core of the OS. Its not Linux/Unix specific.

c00lwaterz
April 22nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
interesting.. iwill research on if they have distros like linux.

c00lwaterz
April 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
the interface of beos is like windows 95. compare to linux interface the besos is like old microsoft?

RiceMonster
April 22nd, 2010, 04:57 PM

No, Haiku is not a UNIX like OS, and of course it has a kernel. Every OS has one.

beOS was a UNIX based OS Like Linux.

No it wasn't.

agnes
April 22nd, 2010, 05:01 PM
Are you talking about using the alpha 1 build or were you using an overnight build?? The alpha will play movies but is buggy/crash prone on the live CD. It does not seem to have a MKV decoder though on it. Now I tried a later overnight build on a live CD and it was not playing movies. Drats LOL
Yeah it was the Alpha 1, and installed from the live cd. The movies really didn't start playing (progress bar didn't increase and no movie image in the player). But I didn't try it with VLC only with the default movie
player. And I was reading them from a NTFS external HD if that matters.

Ok now I read Disreall says the nighlty images work better for movies and you say they don't .. maybe it depends on some hardware? (Just guessing, I don't know how that all works in Haiku but for mplayer on Linux I had to set output to XImage/Shm).
Anyway I'll wait a week or a few, and then try a nightly.

c00lwaterz
April 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM
errr haha whatever.. :lolflag:

Gone fishing
April 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
BeOS / Haiku has a unique interface very efficient in terms of screen space and very cool, if a little dated by modern 3D desktop standards, I'm sure that Haiku R2 will look into this a (those sliding tabs are still cool).

My understanding is that BeOS / Haiku is not a Unix but a modern micro-kernel OS although it is largely Posix compatible. Haiku being more compliant than BeOS making porting apps from Linux, BSD etc easier.

If the apps were available Haiku maybe just what netbooks are looking for although Ubuntu is good too.

cariboo
April 22nd, 2010, 05:17 PM
Merged two threads on the same subject.

swoll1980
April 22nd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Every time I suggest this to Ubuntu, I get labeled a troll because it's so "Microsoftish".

Isn't that what a .deb is for? I don't get it.

keiichidono
April 22nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
BeOS / Haiku has a unique interface very efficient in terms of screen space and very cool, if a little dated by modern 3D desktop standards, I'm sure that Haiku R2 will look into this a (those sliding tabs are still cool).

My understanding is that BeOS / Haiku is not a Unix but a modern micro-kernel OS although it is largely Posix compatible. Haiku being more compliant than BeOS making porting apps from Linux, BSD etc easier.

If the apps were available Haiku maybe just what netbooks are looking for although Ubuntu is good too.

Haiku OS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_(operating_system)) has a hybrid kernel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_kernel), not a microkernel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microkernel).

free10
April 22nd, 2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah it was the Alpha 1, and installed from the live cd. The movies really didn't start playing (progress bar didn't increase and no movie image in the player). But I didn't try it with VLC only with the default movie
player. And I was reading them from a NTFS external HD if that matters.

Ok now I read Disreall says the nighlty images work better for movies and you say they don't .. maybe it depends on some hardware? (Just guessing, I don't know how that all works in Haiku but for mplayer on Linux I had to set output to XImage/Shm).
Anyway I'll wait a week or a few, and then try a nightly.

The alpha should have played the the files or some of them but was buggy and media player was crash prone and slow, at least off of the live CD. You might have had a crash on media player locking it up, without even knowing it right off the bat.

Mine played OK but I did crash it and more than once. This was a true alpha 1 release of a new OS and it is quite stable for one but far from perfect and that is why they are released to find the bugs and get them out plus it gives people a feel for what is to come.

The nightly builds vary and are not for general consumption and the one I tried was from about 3 months back and that one did not have media player working for me, but you see the very next one might have had it back working. I had lots of fun with it though being faster and more stable though even without media player working.

Now months have gone by with many improvements and the nightlies now might not suffer from this working not working problem on media player.

I don't think it is a hardware problem for your system working though on some they might need to try turning off overlay in media player to get it to work right.

I am very excited with how the work has gone with Haiku and how fast. BeOS was very fast and stable and trouble free for years for me and usually only a power outage or a hardware failure took the system down.

Haiku is not Linux at all and it is not BeOS either though it was inspired by it and uses some open BeOS code I think. Haiku was designed to function like BeOS 5 and to replicate it somewhat plus use its software, at least for R1 and will leave this base with R2 and R3 etc.

Haiku's function at R1 is actually superior in some ways to the BeOS R5. BeOS R5 would not even boot on todays machines because the total memory exceeds one gig. Not a problem for Haiku. Vesa mode which is the fall back if no video driver is currently found seems to be a lot better than BeOS, with Haiku.

I will be interested in hearing your impressions on the alpha 2 next month when you try it.

free10
April 22nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
Haiku OS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiku_(operating_system)) has a hybrid kernel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_kernel), not a microkernel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microkernel).

Here is a discussion on this

http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/haiku_kernel_architecture_questions_0

Frak
April 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM
beOS was a UNIX based OS Like Linux.

Not even close.

kaldor
April 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
BeOS has nothing to do with Linux or ANY *NIX at all!

NormanFLinux
April 23rd, 2010, 06:20 AM
You can have your cake and eat it too: ZevenOS which is a Ubuntu distro, carries the BEOS feel and look quite well. Since its Linux, it has modern hardware support. Until Haiku comes of age, its a suitable clone *nix for those who need wireless connection and Linux apps.

c00lwaterz
April 23rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
it is confusing a lot of OS with different system and almost same:confused:

free10
April 23rd, 2010, 08:57 AM
You can have your cake and eat it too: ZevenOS which is a Ubuntu distro, carries the BEOS feel and look quite well. Since its Linux, it has modern hardware support. Until Haiku comes of age, its a suitable clone *nix for those who need wireless connection and Linux apps.

Haiku alpha2 should have wireless and WEP and they soon should have WPA as well. This opens up a flood of new Haiku users on portables and on college campuses using WEP.

The BeOS software developers could have built their new system based on the Linux kernel 10 years ago, but chose not too for a number of reasons and instead started from scratch just as BeOS did.

Btw any Linux or nix software they need can be ported over to Haiku, just as QT is or webpositive.

If you want Linux Ubuntu works about as well as can be expected.

Gone fishing
April 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks free10, I was wrong the kernel is a hybrid kernel, just as XP, Vista, Win7 and OSX are. BeOS was very modern as it is older than any of these.

I have to say BeOS / Haiku feels very responsive even on old equipment. But Vista, well, it may have a hybrid kernel but is so unresponsive slow and vile, a hybrid kernel cant be everything.

I use Vista everyday I think it's the only OS I can say I hate.

kaldor
April 23rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks free10, I was wrong the kernel is a hybrid kernel, just as XP, Vista, Win7 and OSX are. BeOS was very modern as it is older than any of these.

I have to say BeOS / Haiku feels very responsive even on old equipment. But Vista, well, it may have a hybrid kernel but is so unresponsive slow and vile, a hybrid kernel cant be everything.

Vista's still better than Windows Me. I don't get why nobody remembers that one. I guess everyone just tried to forget and bury it. That was one OS that I don't think worked for anyone; even Vista works if you configure it well on a high end PC, Me just failed totally at everything.

On topic though.. I'm not too interested in Haiku. It's a great OS yes, but at the same time it isn't really anything special. The UI looks like something out of the 90's for one. It has little hardware support even though it is not that young. Don't get me wrong; I enjoy seeing variety. I just don't see much point to Haiku's goals when just about every other OS since the 90's do what Haiku is trying to do.

handy
April 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM
The goal of first release is to be BeOS compatible.

After that there will be a new roadmap for Haiku.

It will be very interesting to see the path Haiku takes.

Frak
April 23rd, 2010, 10:00 PM
Last I heard, Haiku was paying developers to work on WebPositive and the WiFi stack.

free10
April 23rd, 2010, 11:12 PM

Its OK I have made the same mistake in the past on what kernel it had.

Freeing people from the old available operating systems was the goal of BeOS and now with Haiku. Microsoft was determined to see that not happen and did just about everything legal and not to make sure you got stuck with their products. Steve Jobs did the same over at Apple by barring the release of the specs on the G3 to Be Inc to continue to run BeOS on Apple's computers. According to Microsoft's sworn testimony you would have never have had to put up with Vista or the other choices today if BeOS was allowed on OEM Windows machines in the 90s in dual boot mode with Windows as BeOS gained more apps.

Haiku is breaking that stranglehold today as there is more than one way now to get on peoples computers besides just the Windows OEMs loading it at the factory for a dual boot choice.

Haiku will bring you a lot more speed than you even see now from it and a lot more stability and range of apps as the months roll on and it grows and grows.

I used BeOS for a good 9 years and avoided all others other than a once in awhile trial of a new Linux OS. They all sucked until I tried Ubuntu a few years back. It was way slow but switching from a Celeron2 with about 512mb of memory to a new Quad Intel with 4 gigs of memory and a fast F1 samsung made it a lot faster, but BeOS could not run on it and Haiku can and I knew it was coming soon.

I can't wait to see alpha 2

free10
April 24th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Last I heard, Haiku was paying developers to work on WebPositive and the WiFi stack.

Right, and now also on taking care of the alpha 2 release work. Wifi seems to be finished except for WPA. Webpositive seems to be coming along fast but not quite ready yet but it looks like they might be trying to include it. The last time I played with alpha one I downloaded and tried the Haiku version of Sea Monkey from Bebits and it was quick. Flash might be ready to go with this alpha2 release we will see.

http://dev.haiku-os.org/timeline

One more note Haiku is also once again chosen by Google to be part of its summer of code so there will be added new student coders being paid to code for it.

Gone fishing
April 25th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I didn't use BeOS much but found it good compared to Win98. I've got my PC Booting to Karmic, Win7 and Haiku although I been a little to busy to give Haiku the time it deserves.

I can't help but feel Haiku on Netbooks would be fantastic, Haiku need to work on an Arm port and obviously Haiku needs Apps.

Oh! and for the record I hate Vista more than ME. ME was a pointless, bloated Win98 with the startup DOS removed irritating but in use was barley different from 98. Vista almost makes me cry and does make me swear, nagging, slowness, unintuitive, slowness, inability to run Windows programs, slowness and delay. By the standards of the day ME was poor, Vista awful.

handy
April 26th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Oh! and for the record I hate Vista more than ME. ME was a pointless, bloated Win98 with the startup DOS removed irritating but in use was barley different from 98. Vista almost makes me cry and does make me swear, nagging, slowness, unintuitive, slowness, inability to run Windows programs, slowness and delay. By the standards of the day ME was poor, Vista awful.

From memory the only good thing that came out of ME was System Restore.

moster
April 28th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Can somebody explain me this. Google giant is pushing Chrome, microsoft Explorer, Firefox is big currently... Why in the earth somebody do not port chrome or firefox to Haiku instead of If I am correct 2(two?!) guy are working on native browser for Haiku?

If those two are not Einsteins, how will they make something even similar to firefox and chrome?

free10
April 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Can somebody explain me this. Google giant is pushing Chrome, microsoft Explorer, Firefox is big currently... Why in the earth somebody do not port chrome or firefox to Haiku instead of If I am correct 2(two?!) guy are working on native browser for Haiku?

If those two are not Einsteins, how will they make something even similar to firefox and chrome?

Firefox licensing has certain requirements to use that name in connection with their software that BeOS/Haiku can not meet because of differences in coding for one though they did port it and tag it with a different name with Firefox 1 and 2 as they came out. Then Firefox I believe went to something called Cairo which was not compatible at all for them or would require too much more work. This is all done from memory of what I think I read on the subject from them over years.

Webkit (the engine of Apple safari and Google chrome) port is what they are using to build their own browser.

http://www.haiku-os.org/search/node/aurora

For now they wanted something good they could do fast and get up and running and Webpositive became it and I think it will be included in alpha 2 at the stage it is now but you can still use the other browser they had in alpha 1 or try out say Sea Monkey from Bebits. What ever floats your boat.

More good news as Google just let Haiku have 7 new paid young coders for the summer of code program.
http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1154

I sure wouldn't worry about it as it will all just get better and better.

the Arbiter
May 7th, 2010, 10:14 PM
hi i am actually using the alpha 2 version on haiku, its nice and i cant wait for r1 but for now im on kubuntu 10.04 :) also webpositive is really fast!!!

free10
May 7th, 2010, 10:22 PM
hi i am actually using the alpha 2 version on haiku, its nice and i cant wait for r1 but for now im on kubuntu 10.04 :) also webpositive is really fast!!!

And I have to wait 3 more days for it to come out this is so unfair:p:p;)

moster
May 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM
And I have to wait 3 more days for it to come out this is so unfair:p:p;)

11 hours to go... :D

free10
May 9th, 2010, 11:33 PM
11 hours to go... :D

I am still waiting:guitar:

ibuclaw
May 9th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I am still waiting:guitar:
Me too... ;)

While we are waiting, does anyone here use ReactOS for testing?

handy
May 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM
& me, I keep refreshing the Haiku download page in the hope it has changed. :-k

free10
May 10th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Bingo its here

http://www.haiku-os.org/get-haiku

handy
May 10th, 2010, 06:41 AM
The ISO has failed to burn three times at this stage. Three CDs can't all be bad. :(

tjwoosta
May 10th, 2010, 06:46 AM
The ISO has failed twice, to different CDs, the same way when I try to burn it. :(

You mean its failing to burn? Or its failing to work once burned?

handy
May 10th, 2010, 07:03 AM
Failing to burn. 3 disks waisted now.

I'm downloading k3b, I'll see if it does the job. I'm using NeroLinux, which has been faultless for me since early version 2. ?

handy
May 10th, 2010, 07:09 AM
The following is NOT what is causing this problem. From the release notes:

Created a new file image type, 'anyboot', which allows a Haiku image to be burned as an ISO or written directly to USB. To note, some burning software may try to be 'clever' and will incorrectly burn.

K3b fails to burn it as well, I'm going to download again on another machine.

[Edit:]
I found the checksum for the file & it is wrong, so that could be the problem.

I could have been playing in Haiku ages ago if I had of verified the checksum an hour ago. doh! ](*,)

handy
May 10th, 2010, 09:06 AM
The 2nd image that I downloaded on my 2nd machine had the same wrong(?) checksum, but it burned with NeroLinux though Nero crashed in the verify mode (which is also a first).

Anyway, the disk seems to be good I am using it now on 2nd machine, & thankfully the mouse bug that stopped me using Haiku alpha 1, no longer exists.

Boy it has to be the fastest boot of any liveCD I have ever used. It is so fast I thought that isn't possible!

I have notified the Haiku people that the checksum for the the alpha 2 ISO is wrong on their site, so I expect they will fix that.

I was afraid that they had sent out a bad ISO image to all of the mirrors, as I used a different mirror for the 2nd download.

Anyway, I know what I'll be doing for a while now... :)

[Edit:] I just discovered the fastest shut down of any LiveCD I've ever used also, I'd say less than 3 seconds.

free10
May 10th, 2010, 09:33 AM
The 2nd image that I downloaded on my 2nd machine had the same wrong(?) checksum, but it burned with NeroLinux though Nero crashed in the verify mode (which is also a first).

Anyway, the disk seems to be good I am using it now on 2nd machine, & thankfully the mouse bug that stopped me using Haiku alpha 1, no longer exists.

Boy it has to be the fastest boot of any liveCD I have ever used. It is so fast I thought that isn't possible!

I have notified the Haiku people that the checksum for the the alpha 2 ISO is wrong on their site, so I expect they will fix that.

I was afraid that they had sent out a bad ISO image to all of the mirrors, as I used a different mirror for the 2nd download.

Anyway, I know what I'll be doing for a while now... :)

I am lost but figured out to get my DVDRW to take it and I am booted and posting with it from the live CD or DVDRW in this case. Man I have got to get my new Samsung F3 mounted and get this burned to it LOL

It is pretty fast from Live and not too glitchy at all now. It is playing many of my videos though on some it doesn't like moving the time bar ahead. On some files the audio plays but the video goes unrecognized and some the opposite but most play fine and pretty quick. Webpositive is rather raw but fast and stable so far but beats the old Netpositive by millions of miles LOL I have not tried say Sea Monkey on alpha 2 yet but bet it works. No flash with Webpositive but they say it works with Bezilla which I have not tried yet. This is going to be a lot of fun boys and girls:guitar: Last time alpha 1 it did not get my IP right and had to put it in manually in Network which is easy but this alpha 2 got it right on boot.I bet this baby really really is fast mounted to a hard drive:lolflag::D

handy
May 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM
@free10: I'm in WebPositive too. It has been a while since I've seen the default UF, as I've been using TJ's dark style. I need my sunglasses on!

Alpha 2, is so much better for me as I had a mouse bug that basically made Haiku unuseable. Now I can get to know it, I really look forward to the development of WebPositive, as it is raw as you say.

free10
May 10th, 2010, 10:10 AM
@free10: I'm in WebPositive too. It has been a while since I've seen the default UF, as I've been using TJ's dark style. I need my sunglasses on!

Alpha 2, is so much better for me as I had a mouse bug that basically made Haiku unuseable. Now I can get to know it, I really look forward to the development of WebPositive, as it is raw as you say.

Well I just switched back to Ubuntu so I would not wear out my DVD player. I spent several hours playing with Haiku. I could get into Gmail fine but the chat part didn't work while in it but thats fine. Hotmail just gave me the run around and refused to load and told me I needed a newer browser which is a laugh considering it is one of the newest around. I am only guessing but I would bet Sea Monkey would work with Hotmail.

Going to have to get the new drive in and mount Haiku and give it a nice fast home. It is amazing fast for a live CD. I can't say a lot more without installing and then downloading some more software and apps and seeing what works and all. They are getting there though and I would give them an A+ so far on the alpha 2 and I would guess 3 will be out before Christmas LOL Be still my beating heart.. whoa, I better not say that at my age LOL

Glad you are getting to finally play with it too.

ibuclaw
May 10th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Win! (er, I mean. Hai!)

I am currently in a Library on my Samsung N110 Netbook, booted into Haiku via Pendrive Installation, typing away at this message as I am connected wirelessly via my Netbook's builtin Atheros Wifi Device.

I have a strong urge to buy a new Netbook now *just* for solely running Haiku on it. :)

ibuclaw
May 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I know, I know. Pics or it didn't happen, right?

:)

All I'm saying is that it was quirky to start off with - probably still booting / preloading / caching in the background - but give it 5 minutes, and it is on a roll.

handy
May 10th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Glad you are getting to finally play with it too.

Me too.

I had played around a little before the alpha 1, & I owned Zeta, that other commercial BeOS derivative that quite a few people weren't too happy with.

Thus far on Haiku I've found that I can play a movie, but the media player is buggy, I can play an audio CD, there are obvious bugs in that area in the media player also.

I hear it is possible to install VLC, I'll have to look into that, as VLC itself shouldn't be buggy.

I just checked the web based email account hosted by my ISP & I can access it, which is cool.

handy
May 10th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Win! (er, I mean. Hai!)

I am currently in a Library on my Samsung N110 Netbook, booted into Haiku via Pendrive Installation, typing away at this message as I am connected wirelessly via my Netbook's builtin Atheros Wifi Device.

I have a strong urge to buy a new Netbook now *just* for solely running Haiku on it. :)

Pretty cool experience you had there. :)

The wireless is courtesy of BSD I believe.

free10
May 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I know, I know. Pics or it didn't happen, right?

:)

All I'm saying is that it was quirky to start off with - probably still booting / preloading / caching in the background - but give it 5 minutes, and it is on a roll.

Fun isn't it...warning warning it has been known to cause a rapid addiction to it LOL

ibuclaw
May 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Pretty cool experience you had there. :)

The wireless is courtesy of BSD I believe.

I do believe that is the case, but funny you should mention that, as I have never gotten my wireless to work in FreeBSD on this machine before...

Then again, one must ask the question, which BSD?

mister_playboy
May 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I chose a good day to find this thread... downloading Alpha 2 right now! :KS

handy
May 10th, 2010, 01:07 PM
I do believe that is the case, but funny you should mention that, as I have never gotten my wireless to work in FreeBSD on this machine before...

Then again, one must ask the question, which BSD?

I think it was FreeBSD 8.

handy
May 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I installed VLC, it handles DVDs much better than MediaCenter does at this stage. Though I lost my video sound, I'll sort that out sooner or later...

Nick_Djinn
May 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM
It would be nice if Linux had settings that like Haiku were more focused on low user latency and more geared towards users than servers. It would be nice to have an open source OS that is completely geared towards users rather than servers, or at least wont sacrifice users efficiency for server functionality.

Are there instances where a non native OS would run an app more efficiently than a native OS?

free10
May 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
It would be nice if Linux had settings that like Haiku were more focused on low user latency and more geared towards users than servers. It would be nice to have an open source OS that is completely geared towards users rather than servers, or at least wont sacrifice users efficiency for server functionality.

Are there instances where a non native OS would run an app more efficiently than a native OS?

There are a number of reasons Haiku is faster and it will get even faster as it gets debuged and improved upon and the structure and rules for it are much different from Linux.

BeOS chose to not focus on server use simply because there are plenty of software that does a good job there and the real need was for every day users and Haiku on R1 is duplicating all this in many ways, but R2 or R3 might get more into some server action but I don't see why since most people are just desktop focused and there is already good server software out there though I do know some used BeOS on their servers too.

If I wanted to understand where fast came from in Haiku and understand the questions you would like to know I would start trying to code and understand Haiku to see how it works and why it does what it does and what slows it or speeds it up.

I don't code for it so I can't really give you a more direct answer on your questions but they can there.

bigsmitty64
May 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Is there a browser in this OS yet? I downloaded last night, and can't seem to find any? :)

EDIT: WebPositive? When I click it, it says, "can't open webpositive with "webpositive"

zika
May 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I could not resist temptation. DL-ed .iso and burned it. But, at boot, after some dots I get only (under line) cursor and that is it...
(ATI HD3650 512M, Phenom X3 3G)

moster
May 10th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Is there a browser in this OS yet? I downloaded last night, and can't seem to find any? :)

EDIT: WebPositive? When I click it, it says, "can't open webpositive with "webpositive"
Not sure what you are talking about. There are webpositive icon in applications menu and three links on desktop. Welcome is one of them. Maybe you not see it because it is alien surroundings :)

I could not resist temptation. DL-ed .iso and burned it. But, at boot, after some dots I get only (under line) cursor and that is it...

Sorry to hear that, but there is much time ahead till haiku will be real usable.. Better browser and flash. Hope your config will run till them :)

themarker0
May 10th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I just saw this thread and read a couple pages, looks interesting, i'll be downloading for sure, looks really good.

bigsmitty64
May 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Not sure what you are talking about. There are webpositive icon in applications menu and three links on desktop. Welcome is one of them. Maybe you not see it because it is alien surroundings :)

Sorry to hear that, but there is much time ahead till haiku will be real usable.. Better browser and flash. Hope your config will run till them :)

Definately alien surroundings! :)
I click on webpositive though, and it gives error mentioned my above post. I also tried the welcome icon.

bigsmitty64
May 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Clicking on "welcome" or "userguide" icons gives me a window full of html. :)

And webpositive just won't run.

Do I need to manually set up the network maybe?

This looks like a very cool O.S. From what I have played around with. Very quick even in the live cd.

moster
May 10th, 2010, 08:10 PM

This looks like a very cool O.S. From what I have played around with. Very quick even in the live cd.

Well, i can tell you that i am connected with wire to my router and and everything is working out-of-box. Ictually I am writing this on haiku LOL

I booted up with DVD and install it right on my ultra slow ancient USB stick. I read somewhere that it is possible and it really is. For you people that you wish to have it, but dont wish to mess with dual boot just yet like me :)

btw, this will be relly nice OS, hope android or something will not run over it.

keifer
May 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM

I've been running an older rev of Haiku as my primary OS for a little over a month now, so I *might* be able to help you. WebPositive should launch even if you don't have a web connection. It sounds to me like something went wrong when WebPositive was being installed. You could try the following to see if reinstalling it helps:
installoptionalpackage -a WebPositive
installoptionalpackage is, as the name suggests, a rudimentary package manager. You can get a full list of what you can install with it via
installoptionalpackage -l If you can't get WebPositive to work, try using installoptionalpackage to get BeZillaBrowser instead.

-keifer

Edit: I just noticed a ticket in trac that says the R1A2 images don't have enough free space to install BeZillaBrowser. This could be a problem if you are just running from the release image...

bigsmitty64
May 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks Keifer, "installoptionalpackage -a webpositive" worked.
I'm posting from Haiku!
Now to decide if I want to install or not. I'll play around for a bit with this live cd, but all will be lost when I reboot. I have a separate hard drive that I could use.Hmmm......

free10
May 10th, 2010, 11:45 PM

At boot it has little icons that light up as it goes through the boot stage and on boot you can hit spacebar if I remember right to get some options for booting, if there is a problem such as the fail safe boot or choosing Vesa mode for the video driver. You might try booting again and hitting space bar to get into the boot options for it to see if one of those helps get you a desktop screen on boot. Just a thought.

If that doesn't work you may need to go here

http://www.haiku-os.org/forum

and post in General or the user support forum there about this and see what they think about it.

handy
May 11th, 2010, 12:27 AM
It would be nice if Linux had settings that like Haiku were more focused on low user latency and more geared towards users than servers.

One of the things that makes Haiku so fast (& so much simpler under the hood) is that the GUI is an integral part of the system. Unlike the Linux kernel based, BSD & Solaris systems for example, where you boot the system, then run X on it, then run a DE or WM environment on top of that.

All of which makes for the inefficient & overly complicated use of resources.

K.Mandla
May 11th, 2010, 01:13 AM
I got it up and running off a USB drive. Boots in something like 15 seconds over USB2.0. Still having network problems though; I'll have to play around a little more. :D

free10
May 11th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Here is a discussion over at OS News on Haiku and the Haiku 2 release plus why Haiku among the OS News readers.

http://www.osnews.com/comments/23271

Sporkman
May 11th, 2010, 01:54 AM
One of the things that makes Haiku so fast (& so much simpler under the hood) is that the GUI is an integral part of the system.

...less secure?

Frak
May 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM
I installed VLC, it handles DVDs much better than MediaCenter does at this stage. Though I lost my video sound, I'll sort that out sooner or later...
MediaCenter is based on the latest VLC. The VLC they offer in the repositories is an incredibly old BeOS version.

MasterNetra
May 11th, 2010, 04:05 AM
...less secure?

I'm sure they'll address the security aspect in due time. They're probably just focusing and getting into a more usable state first.

Also anyone know if WPA2 is supported yet?

handy
May 11th, 2010, 04:13 AM
MediaCenter is based on the latest VLC. The VLC they offer in the repositories is an incredibly old BeOS version.

It works much better for me.

On another note here is news on Flash for Haiku:

http://www.haikuware.com/20090223270/flash-under-haiku-a-reality

Frak
May 11th, 2010, 04:23 AM
I'm sure they'll address the security aspect in due time. They're probably just focusing and getting into a more usable state first.

Also anyone know if WPA2 is supported yet?
Considering the bounty for "WiFi Encryption" still exists, I think not.

free10
May 11th, 2010, 04:45 AM

I don't think media center is based off anything other than the media center used in BeOS and is still a work in progress.

There are two VLC's one being very old for BeOS many years back and then there is a newer version of it for Haiku.

But I could be wrong

handy
May 11th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I pulled the one linked to here:

http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Hosting-VLClibdvdcss-was-Re-Fulltime-Haiku-users

free10
May 11th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I pulled the one linked to here:

http://www.freelists.org/post/haiku/Hosting-VLClibdvdcss-was-Re-Fulltime-Haiku-users

Here are some more links if you have not got them

http://haikuware.com/

http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/multimedia/video/playback/vlc-media-player

handy
May 11th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Here are some more links if you have not got them

http://haikuware.com/

http://haikuware.com/directory/view-details/multimedia/video/playback/vlc-media-player

Thanks I had found that one earlier today, I also found this installed Haiku ports:

http://ports.haiku-files.org/wiki/Installation

free10
May 11th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Thanks I had found that one earlier today, I also found this installed Haiku ports:

Ok I am probably going to need that one too as soon as I throw the new drive in and put Haiku on it and it is nice to have a lot of links in one or two areas to find them fast and easy.

It is like a few weeks back I took all my Firefox bookmarks in html form and sent them to my Gmail account for a form of backup, but last night when I got in Haiku I could get Webpositive into the gmail account and opened up that html file with all my browser links there.

isbiyanto
May 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM
interesting... nice sharing to all

moster
May 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM
If you did not know, haiku has a little online repository :)

opet terminal from applications menu and enter for example:

installotionalpackage vlc

VLC should appear in applications menu

Ok, we are getting something here :)

Here is full list (http://git.newos.org/?p=haiku.git;a=blob;f=build/jam/OptionalPackages;h=d6a84af1296150d2076f1a8ccc05d59 cb4f9c139;hb=HEAD)

handy
May 11th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Ok I am probably going to need that one too as soon as I throw the new drive in and put Haiku on it and it is nice to have a lot of links in one or two areas to find them fast and easy.

It is like a few weeks back I took all my Firefox bookmarks in html form and sent them to my Gmail account for a form of backup, but last night when I got in Haiku I could get Webpositive into the gmail account and opened up that html file with all my browser links there.

It will be a really happy day for me when Haiku is popular enough for xmarks to be ported over; xmarks is just so clean, tidy & secure.

If you did not know, haiku has a little online repository :)

opet terminal from applications menu and enter for example:

VLC should appear in applications menu

Ok, we are getting something here :)

Here is full list (http://git.newos.org/?p=haiku.git;a=blob;f=build/jam/OptionalPackages;h=d6a84af1296150d2076f1a8ccc05d59 cb4f9c139;hb=HEAD)

Yes I found that one last night too, apart from anything else it is a very useful list.

It looks like between:

http://www.haikuware.com/

http://git.newos.org/?p=haiku.git;a=blob;f=build/jam/OptionalPackages;h=d6a84af1296150d2076f1a8ccc05d59 cb4f9c139;hb=HEAD

We have a fair amount of stuff available, & it will just keep getting better of course.

I've spent some time looking at Alpha 2, & I really like what I see. I can't do much with it at this point until some more bugs are fixed. I expect that for me personally Alpha 3, (if not sometime before) should be where I need it to be to be useful day to day.

The way things are going, Alpha 3, should be here around the end of the year, which is fantastic.

free10
May 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM
It will be a really happy day for me when Haiku is popular enough for xmarks to be ported over; xmarks is just so clean, tidy & secure.

Yes I found that one last night too, apart from anything else it is a very useful list.

It looks like between:

http://www.haikuware.com/

http://git.newos.org/?p=haiku.git;a=blob;f=build/jam/OptionalPackages;h=d6a84af1296150d2076f1a8ccc05d59 cb4f9c139;hb=HEAD

We have a fair amount of stuff available, & it will just keep getting better of course.

I've spent some time looking at Alpha 2, & I really like what I see. I can't do much with it at this point until some more bugs are fixed. I expect that for me personally Alpha 3, (if not sometime before) should be where I need it to be to be useful day to day.

The way things are going, Alpha 3, should be here around the end of the year, which is fantastic.

I talked about it too much and just had to go back in it to try out some more things for over 3 hours Agggg LOL

VLC did work and worked well. I reloaded Sea Monkey browser and it could get into Hotmail where Webpositive didn't. I tried a number of software downloads to see if they worked and if I couldn't get one to work fast I just moved on.

I still plan on burning it to a drive but won't want to use it a lot until I can stay in it pretty much full time and that would require yahoo and msn chat like pidgin for me. I don't use it a lot but do some and it is handy to have. It is good enough right now for me to be my primary OS except for that one little detail and like you say it will just get better and better pretty fast. On the rare occasion I might need something it didn't do yet I could just drop back into good old Ubuntu.

I did send it once into KDE land messing with printing LOL I have to admit though it did see my printer and correctly recognized it accurately which surprised me. I could not get it to see my D70 Nikon camera but maybe I was not doing it right for it but thats no biggie since I would only need that on rare occasion and could drop back into Ubuntu.

This summer they have about 7 new google coders working on it and of course the regulars plus any extras that might be hired or decide to join in so a lot of work should be done fast in the months ahead.