PDA

View Full Version : Apple have just made the list...

speedwell68
September 15th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Yesterday a work mate told me that there are various updates available from Apple for iPods, I have a second generation Shuffle. I'd just like to point out that the thing was 100% free to me, I wouldn't happily pay for one. So I started XP in VirtualBox, downloaded the latest iTunes, I can't see what takes up 88mb, but that is another rant. I updated my iPod, shutdown XP and re-mounted the thing in Ubuntu. Guess what, Songbird wouldn't see the thing anymore, neither would GTK-Pod. So I restarted XP and reset the thing to factory defaults and Songbird still wouldn't see it. In the end I found an older copy of iTunes and did a factory reset in that. This time it worked in Ubuntu. I emailed Apple explaining my problems and they told me it was my fault for using an unsopported OS. So I am replacing my Shuffle just because. Up until I updated it I had actually been very impressed with it.

Странник
September 15th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Apple products are made to sustain the apple ecosystem.
Why would they care for us?

Swarms
September 15th, 2009, 08:34 AM
It is rather Songbird who has a flawed support.

blackened
September 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Apple products are made to sustain the apple ecosystem.
Why would they care for us?

From a business perspective, one could make the argument both ways:

Why would they not care considering we're potentially paying customers?
Linux is such a small part of the market that they would spend more on R&D for it than they would likewise gain in sales.

misfitpierce
September 15th, 2009, 08:47 AM
They don't care if it is not a problem with their software end. If it works in iTunes, then they are happy and thats how they want it. Hence on case it says iTunes is required on windows or mac... Nothing about linux or using a 3rd party app because they want you to use iTunes and their software and get music from them or they just don't care.

KiwiNZ
September 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Apple clearly states the requirements for their product.

earthpigg
September 15th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Apple clearly states the requirements for their product.

it is one thing to not bother supporting Linux.

it is another to intentionally break compatibility.

yes, it is theoretically conceivable that the update included some great new features and functionality, and the breaking of compatibility was entirely coincidental.... well, lets find out:

any new features or functionality you noticed for your shuffle, speedwell68?

any other shuffle owners?

anyone...?

another way to prove that this breaking of compatibility was an accident or incidental would be for Apple to show us the source code.

speedwell68
September 15th, 2009, 09:18 AM
They don't care if it is not a problem with their software end. If it works in iTunes, then they are happy and thats how they want it. Hence on case it says iTunes is required on windows or mac... Nothing about linux or using a 3rd party app because they want you to use iTunes and their software and get music from them or they just don't care.

TBH, I don't see what their issue is. If they had the good sense to support the Songbird plugin, which is cross platform, then they could potentially up their user base.

schauerlich
September 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
another way to prove that this breaking of compatibility was an accident or incidental would be for Apple to show us the source code.

The existence of libbreakcompatibility is well documented.

HappinessNow
September 15th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Not to sound anti-Apple because I am not; they have their own version of reality that you must buy into, but if anyone chooses to use their products (Software or Hardware) let the buyer beware. Most buyers or users of Apple products go into it fully aware of their built in restraints, and choose to do so out of their own free will.

The only fault that can be found is in the self and the decision to use Apple products and then not fully acknowledge that the potential hazards that materialized were due to ones own choice.

"A Strange game, the only winning move is not to play."
~ War Games

earthpigg
September 15th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Most buyers or users of Apple products go into it fully aware of their built in restraints

would you care to define "most"?

HappinessNow
September 15th, 2009, 09:35 AM
would you care to define "most"?No, I would care not to.

apmcd47
September 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM
The existence of libbreakcompatibility is well documented.

Care to share a reference? I couldn't find anything with google.

Paqman
September 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
if anyone chooses to use their products (Software or Hardware) let the buyer beware.

Couldn't agree more. Staying away from the Apple brand entirely just makes life much easier if you're a Linux user.

schauerlich
September 15th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Care to share a reference? I couldn't find anything with google.

It was sarcasm. libbreakcompatibility doesn't actually exist. See the "humor" link in my sig.

handy
September 15th, 2009, 11:08 AM
I'm an Arch Linux user.

I have been using Arch as by far my primary system on the iMac I have had since late 2007.

I'm quite happy with the iMac, it physically fits the office space available better than anything else (at the time of purchase anyway). The display on the 24" iMac is iMaculate.

The only complaint I have is that the GPU isn't upgradeable, which is the same situation that 99% of notebook computers find themselves in.

If on the very rare occasion I, or Arch/upstream have temporarily messed up Arch, I always know that I can boot into OS X, & carry on, on the same machine. As (from my experience) OS X, just always works.

Though obviously, from what I have previously stated I personally much prefer Arch Linux to OS X, others don't. Which is perfectly ok with me, & I will always defend those others, as I really, really value their freedom of choice. Just as I value my own.

Use whatever suits your needs & taste, because you will be happier if you do.

Allow others to do the same, & respect their freedom of choice, because they will be happier if you do.

If you can't allow others to exercise their freedom of choice, you are basically suffering from a psychological disease & need to seek medical attention.

3rdalbum
September 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
It was sarcasm. libbreakcompatibility doesn't actually exist. See the "humor" link in my sig.

I once tried running a version of iTunes on Mac OS 9.0.4, where the system requirements was Mac OS 9.1. The program complained that it couldn't find "IsAntiAliasingAvailableLib".

If a simple boolean (True/False) warrants its own shared library, then I'm sure Apple has "BreakCompatibilityLib".

handy
September 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
@3rdalbum: Please don't read the following the wrong way, as I'm in no way looking for any kind of personal fight/argument?

It is just that your last statement triggered my response, (& I have noticed your anti-Apple sentiments over the years as well, not that it bothers me in particular) & it begs the question (to me) have you ever spent an extended amount of time using an Apple OS X machine?

Obviously, I am looking for understanding. :)
Perhaps other people, than the ones I know have dreadful experiences using Apple computers?

Because, from my experience, which encompasses not only some of my families own Mac's, including my own, some of which have been around since the beginning of this century, (there was a Mac plus in 1990 too) but also the experience related to me by a number of other Mac users, (some of which were customers of mine for as long as a decade before I retired).

The bottom line is, the damned by so many others, things (Mac's), are so reliable, secure & easy to use, that I'd point anyone who isn't a geek/nerd at them first & foremost if & whenever I am asked the question of what computer should I buy.

As you would have already picked up in the past, I love to use Arch on my iMac. I much prefer the configurability, the freedom, the rolling release system that upgrades every piece of software on the machine by my typing a few letters that are the alias for a command that is not all that much longer than the alias.

I wonder if the thing I'm missing is that some people have a set against the Apple corporation? Which just doesn't make sense to me (I'm anti-corporate too) as Apple IS big in advertising, but Apple is tiny in comparison to so many other IT hardware/software manufacturers, which includes chip manufacturers that are worth more than the country we live in!

For whatever reason I see some kind of strange chauvinism being directed at Apple; when so many other corporations that are never mentioned & are far more worthy of ridicule, go unnoticed & unmentioned by all but the very few computer users.

This unbalanced response that I see focused on Apple, is something that I have been in the process of trying to understand for quite some time.

Anyway, I have said my bit, I am most certainly interested in your response, as I'm not peddling anything fundamental, I'm just basically into growing my understanding in the end. :)