PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to take screenshot of login window?

futureal2032
September 15th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Hey i want to know how to take and save screenshots of the Ubuntu login screen?

is there any specific program or keyboard shortcuts?

i have seen people post screenshots of their startup process..ubuntu splashscreens at startup and login window..i want to know how i can do that.

:)

lyni
September 16th, 2009, 03:53 AM
try the "Print Screen SysRq" key. it is to the right of the Backspace key on the keyboard.
good luck with it.

yabbadabbadont
September 16th, 2009, 03:56 AM
gdmthemetester or Xnest for the login screen.

Bootup sequence is probably being captured by booting inside of a virtual machine like Virtualbox or VMWare.

aysiu
September 16th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Hey i want to know how to take and save screenshots of the Ubuntu login screen?

is there any specific program or keyboard shortcuts?

i have seen people post screenshots of their startup process..ubuntu splashscreens at startup and login window..i want to know how i can do that.

:) The splash screen... easiest way is probably to run Ubuntu inside of VirtualBox. More details here (uses VirtualBox inside Windows as an example, but the same applies to VB inside Linux or Mac OS X):
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

If you want a quick screenshot of the login window, though, just paste these commands into the terminal (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/terminal):
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xnest
gnome-screenshot --delay 10 &
gdmflexiserver --xnest

Possum Films
September 16th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Just install Xnest with Synaptic package manager and then use Applications > System Tools > New Login in a Window. Once you have done that all you need to do is press the Print Screen key (located between F12 and Scroll Lock) and that should take a screenshot.

I've attached a picture of what it should look like (please note that in the screenshot I changed the login window theme so yours probably won't look the same).