PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu & Kbuntu

Merrib64
September 15th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I have installed Ubuntu 9.04 and I like it, but I thought I would like to try Kubuntu so I went to the synaptic package manager and selected Kubuntu for install. It went thru the process and downloaded the needed packages and installed them. When I boot up I am presented with the dual boot option within Kubuntu / Ubuntu start up. Kubuntu starts and I can use it with no problems and shut it down. When I select Gnome and it boots up everything works fine except for the shut down / hibernate etc button is gone so I cannot shut Ubuntu Gnome down short of literally pulling the power cord. How do I get this selection button back on the panel. I hope that I did not make a big mistake. Please help.

Bob

earthpigg
September 15th, 2009, 04:47 AM
hi,

what happens if you log out of gnome and shut down from there?

running_rabbit07
September 15th, 2009, 04:53 AM
You may also try adding the shutdown button to your toolbars. To get the add button menu just right click the toolbar where you want the button to be and you will get the pictured menu. See attachment.

Merrib64
September 15th, 2009, 04:55 AM
hi,

what happens if you log out of gnome and shut down from there?

I can't log out of Gnome. The only way is to pull the power cord and that is playing with fire.

Bob

earthpigg
September 15th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I can't log out of Gnome. The only way is to pull the power cord and that is playing with fire.

Bob

what if you do this:

sudo killall Xorg

or it may be

sudo killall xorg

one of those two. i can't recall cuz im not on ubuntu right now.

running_rabbit07
September 15th, 2009, 05:39 AM
i can't recall cuz im not on ubuntu right now.

Shame! J/K

Did the button trick work?

DasEi
September 15th, 2009, 05:39 AM
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
(also start,restart)

Merrib64
September 15th, 2009, 05:46 AM
The button trick worked. Sometimes I feel like a idiot. I am my own worst enemy when it comes to computers, even after working with them and software for years. Many thanks for the replies. I appreciate all the help.

Bob

running_rabbit07
September 15th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I am glad it worked.