PDA

View Full Version : Trying to start a company dealing with Linux (partner wanted)

blittergames
September 15th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I was wrong, IBM, HP, APPLE and the other billionaire companies are good, they give back to the community and its good to support them. I will think of an itch to scratch and work on that and see if other people can use it. Thanks

Warpnow
September 15th, 2009, 03:46 AM
A business does by definition exist to fulfill other people's goals. If you want to fulfill your own, you sound like you want a hobby. I don't mean to be rude but businesses that succeed usually have the customer in mind first.

Frak
September 15th, 2009, 03:54 AM
IBM - made the computers for the Nazis
Apple - restrictive ********
HP - told Woz "what would people want a personal computer for?"
SUN - use other peoples software, make billions of dollars, and not give a dime back....

Mind me for this, but:

WHAT WAS THE POINT OF POSTING THAT!

Sporkman
September 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM
You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder, Blittergames. Not a good driving force for a business venture. :)

steveneddy
September 15th, 2009, 04:09 AM
You sound like you have a chip on your shoulder, Blittergames. Not a good driving force for a business venture. :)

I agree to a point here.

Try talking to the guys at system76.com to see if they are either interested or maybe they can give you some advice.

The owner of the company actually answers the phones. They are all very nice there.

TheNosh
September 15th, 2009, 04:14 AM
just gonna look a bit closer at one of those examples if you don't mind.

SUN - use other peoples software, make billions of dollars, and not give a dime back
so you never use java or open office and opensolaris doesn't exist? (and i suppose it's a lesser example, but lg3d looks like it will be awesome if they ever get it really working.)

i'm pretty sure developing these things costs a pretty hefty sum.

schauerlich
September 15th, 2009, 04:31 AM
I like doing what I want and fulfilling my goals and not other peoples.
Making a company that actually cares about its users,

Good luck.

RiceMonster
September 15th, 2009, 04:34 AM
As a Microsoft employee, I cannot allow you to do this.

LowSky
September 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM
you mention a bunch of companies that you think did things poorly, but in all honestly, most of them didn't. Maybe you should look at Oracle, the company buying Sun, because no word has been said on the status of MySQL. It has a good amount of people in the open source community thinking they will need to find another option. something rather important.

Have you thought of your potential customer base, and how you will get income from them, Linux users are a cheap bunch outside of the business world. How about logistics and financing, or even something simple like company structure.

KiwiNZ
September 15th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I am skilled with Linux plus many other tools related to Linux. With that said, I dont like my job. I dont like dealing with Windows. I like doing what I want and fulfilling my goals and not other peoples. If anyone here is interested in teaming up and brainstorming about a company that we could form, that could provide a service/product for the Linux crowd, I am ready. A partner would help with work, ideas and motivation. I have some ideas already, most of them dealing with games for the Linux niche but I am open to whatever. Is anyone interested or would like to talk? PM me!

Making a company that actually cares about its users, doesnt have crazy restrictions, isnt involved with negative crap....I think people are ready for it!

IBM - made the computers for the Nazis
Apple - restrictive ********
HP - told Woz "what would people want a personal computer for?"
SUN - use other peoples software, make billions of dollars, and not give a dime back....

List can go on......

Of the Big IT houses , IBM is one of the biggest supporters of Open Source
Sun gave Open Source one of the Beacon Applications ... Open Office
HP was one of the first constructors to offer Linux on PC's
Apples have never restricted my use of * ever

toupeiro
September 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM

Recommendation 1: Read the quote in my autosignature.

Recommendation 2: If you want to start a company dealing in linux, you better know whose swimming in the waters you're about to dive into, and what their real contributions to FOSS are.

earthpigg
September 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Apples have never restricted my use of * ever

hey, look at this recent thread i just noticed (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1266823).

it is one thing to not bother supporting Linux, it is another to make an update intentionally break compatibility.

ukripper
September 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM
OP - BLOWN out of proportion! Next better idea??...

Paqman
September 15th, 2009, 10:29 AM
A business does by definition exist to fulfill other people's goals.

+1

I also think you've not got a chance of making any money as a small business writing software exclusively for desktop Linux. Cashflow is a killer for small businesses. To stand a chance you're going to have to be doing something besides developing software to pay the bills.

As a small business you'll also need to be very versatile to be competitive, so I think restricting yourself to only supporting Linux is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot. I'd urge you to reconsider your strategy.

Have you actually talked to a bank yet? If not, that's the first place to start. Most of them have advisors that will help you put together a business plan.

bodyharvester
September 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
+1

I also think you've not got a chance of making any money as a small business writing software exclusively for desktop Linux. Cashflow is a killer for small businesses. To stand a chance you're going to have to be doing something besides developing software to pay the bills.

As a small business you'll also need to be very versatile to be competitive, so I think restricting yourself to only supporting Linux is pretty much shooting yourself in the foot. I'd urge you to reconsider your strategy.

Have you actually talked to a bank yet? If not, that's the first place to start. Most of them have advisors that will help you put together a business plan.

+1 for the bank idea, its in their interest if your business plan is good to help you succeed