PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Comp Shutdown during Install. Invalid Partition Table

FaceTheWaste
September 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I tried to install ubuntu 9.04 on an older laptop (4 yrs) and while i was installing it my computer shut down at about 70% completion. Now whenever i start up it says "invalid partition table."

I don't know much about computers so if anyone can help me using very basic instructions that would be very helpful.

I was running windows xp before installing ubuntu. I don't have the original backup disc for the computer but i have a different winXP disc.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

running_rabbit07
September 15th, 2009, 05:55 AM
If you can boot the LiveCD and back up your files, that would be the starting point. From the way it sounds you are going to have to format the hard drive and start over.

Please wait and see if anyone else has any input.

I have had this problem, but it was on a system with no CD drive to boot from and old BIOS that leaves me with only network install to fix it and have yet to try that.

If you do end up reinstalling. Install Windows first and if it is a laptop like the one I had problems with, put a desk fan blowing under it. (Mine overheated and shut down.) Then after installing Windows you try Ubuntu again.

Did you use the check disk option on the LiveCD before trying to install. It could have been caused by a bad burn or bad CD image.

FaceTheWaste
September 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
i can't boot with the liveCD. it could have been a bad burn but it never gave me the option to check the cd. i never saw the try ubuntu screen it just directed me to the installer.

the windows XP cd won't work either.

also, i couldn't boot up with it to begin with. i had to select an option while booted in windows for ubuntu to install some stuff before it could boot with the cd.

is formatting the hard drive something i could do on my own? or am i just going to have to take this in to someone.

running_rabbit07
September 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM
You can download and burn this website's (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/) partitioner and use it to format. Gparted is the same partition editor used by Ubuntu.

FaceTheWaste
September 15th, 2009, 11:13 PM
thanks man. i'll try to figure that program out.

my problem is i'm not familiar with partition tables. this is the first i've ever heard of such a thing