PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Support or Closed Source Job

Sub101
September 14th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Im sure many of the users here use Ubuntu and Linux for no reason other than its free and works.

As well as these users there are the more "hardcore" users who are using Ubuntu because it is Open Source and these users will avoid closed source products as much as they can.

My question is, would you as a supporter of Open Source software accept a good job working for one of the larger closed source software companies (I am not listing any as I do not want the thread to become arguments over "this company is better than that company")?

Or would you consider this against your principles to be a part of such a company?

scragar
September 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM
As much as I love open source my job involves using zend's encryption system to protect various sections of code that I produce(My work is PHP development BTW).

I'm also not legaly allowed to share some of the modules I use :( The modules do make things really easy, and I produced two of them myself, but the code is my companies property, and as much as I'd love to share that code with the world I can't.

Earning money comes first, helping the community comes second. Just the way it is and I wish it was the other way around.

denver
September 15th, 2009, 12:12 AM
In my case personal preference regarding my desktop and the software i use has nothing to do with my professional life.

I would gladly work for any company, be it closed or open source oriented, if the money is right. Of course, it helps to be in familiar surroundings, but if it can't be helped, i would not turn down a well paying job just because the company itself does not conform to my ideology on software.

bodyharvester
September 15th, 2009, 12:13 AM
i would be happy if i could get any job developing software.

a job for closed source doesnt mean you cant make open source, just means you can make some money to support you while you work on something you love, thats how i would see it if i was in a situation where i had to choose, assuming the open source job doesnt pay well if at all