PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I Make Ubuntu Desktop a NFS server

larka06
September 14th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I am using jaunty for a desktop and I wish to share files with other computers also running jaunty. I also wish to share my printer with the other computers. I am thinking NFS at the moment, do know how to do it with samba. Any advice is appreciated
Thanks all for time and effort

abaden
September 15th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I found this (http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/) a few weeks ago in another thread.

I accomplished the same thing with my network using samba, and it wasn't [too] painful. I don't have too much experience with NFS though, so I can't comment on which is better.

Just a note, you will need to create a new partition for NFS, whereas with Samba you can just share existing folders. This might be something to consider as you decide which option to choose.

Alex

larka06
September 15th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks Alex The info is good and no I hadn't thought about having to use a new partion. I hadn't thought of it because I have never done NFS. Never doing it is the reason I was considering doing it. I have done Samba and it is easy, although I have not tried to use Ubuntu desktop to do it with. It seems that the desktop has no server software which is good in someways but, using it as a dual purpose causes me to question. I will check out the link
Thanks agian

abaden
September 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
It seems that the desktop has no server software which is good in someways but, using it as a dual purpose causes me to question.

By default the desktop installation doesn't really come with any server software. That isn't to say you can't install any though - packages are global across both distributions (for example, you could put a gui on the server distribution if you really wanted to).

Best of luck!
Alex