PDA

View Full Version : Quake 2 On Ubuntu

TechSonic
February 7th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I've found some nice sources for Quake 2.

http://icculus.org/quake2/

To install the maps (retail version) you need the original Quake 2 CD used to install on Windows.

engla
February 7th, 2006, 02:19 PM
But... Isn't quake2 in the repositories? I've seen it there.

However, I would like to have either quake I or quake III for linux/ppc. Any clues about where to get it?

LordBug
February 7th, 2006, 03:05 PM
iD released the source code to the Quake 1, 2, and 3 engines some time back. Planet Quake is probably the best bet to find Linux ports. iD Software site might have some info as well. Google should find it if neither have anything.

You will need the retail Quake 1/3 CD, however. The PAK files are still copyrighted and can't be distributed.

wrtpeeps
February 7th, 2006, 11:02 PM
i think the maps are still not free. Or something like that. I know PART of it is free to distribute...

WildTangent
February 7th, 2006, 11:42 PM
The game engines are free. The maps are not. Just like you can download the linux port of the Doom 3 engine, but you need the CDs to get the pak files.

-Wild

wrtpeeps
February 8th, 2006, 12:03 AM
The game engines are free. The maps are not. Just like you can download the linux port of the Doom 3 engine, but you need the CDs to get the pak files.

-Wild

Knew it! I remember this because i was thinking when i downloaded quake 1 "OH COOL! QUAKE 1" and then i realised.. "ohhh ****!" \\:D/

varunus
February 8th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Quake 4 is also out on linux; I got the demo from ID's site...I'm very tempted to buy the game now...

gord
February 8th, 2006, 05:34 AM
i think all id games are opensource/run on linux, might be wrong though

mstlyevil
February 8th, 2006, 07:20 AM
i think all id games are opensource/run on linux, might be wrong though

They are not open source but they all run on Linux. (The graphics engine is opensource. It is based on Open GL.)

TechSonic
February 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
There are still problems with sound not working at times, I'll eventually figure that one out and let everyone know.

gord
February 8th, 2006, 08:34 AM
id also recomend some more advanced versions of quake 2 like Quake2max and QuakeII evolved, allthough you can get the source to these versions im not sure they run on linux, look friggin good though -_-

wrtpeeps
February 8th, 2006, 09:24 AM
quake 4 is amazing! i have it on windows. Graphics are superb. not too expensive either

Deaf_Head
February 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM
This is impressive because Quake 2 is about as grapics intensive as solitaire.

jml75
March 2nd, 2006, 12:10 AM
Hey, any one had a problem with the mouse not mouving in quake2?

FoxLogic
March 2nd, 2006, 12:16 AM
This is impressive because Quake 2 is about as grapics intensive as solitaire.

What do you expect from a game that was last updated in 1998? It was released in 1996.

Hey, any one had a problem with the mouse not mouving in quake2?

You have to configure the controls for Mouse free look. This allows you to move the cross hairs up, down, left and right with your mouse.. Also you need to manually set the controls to use what mouse buttons or keyboard buttons you want it to respond with.

bonzodog
March 2nd, 2006, 12:41 AM
heh...I was debating with friends yesterday about gaming in linux and they said that quake 4 and doom 3 were old hat, as was UT2004. They said that for them to even consider using linux, they would have to see Valve/Steam and CS:Source running natively in linux......

jml75
March 2nd, 2006, 03:42 AM
FoxLogic,

I know! but the problem is that even thought the free look option is on, the mouse does not move at all or very hardly move in the game...

Have you ever seen that?

FoxLogic
March 2nd, 2006, 03:57 AM
FoxLogic,

I know! but the problem is that even thought the free look option is on, the mouse does not move at all or very hardly move in the game...

Have you ever seen that?

Increase mouse sensitivity in the game.

Bragador
March 2nd, 2006, 04:00 AM
heh...I was debating with friends yesterday about gaming in linux and they said that quake 4 and doom 3 were old hat, as was UT2004. They said that for them to even consider using linux, they would have to see Valve/Steam and CS:Source running natively in linux......
Tell them how much they have to pay for windows, then tell them that they can pay 15$ for cedega and be able to play all of those games.

FoxLogic
March 2nd, 2006, 04:02 AM
Tell them how much they have to pay for windows, then tell them that they can pay 15$ for cedega and be able to play all of those games.

I don't see Cedega as any better then Microsoft. You pay 15 bucks for the first 3 months and then your off to spend another 5 bucks each month. Eventually, you will spend more on Cedega then you would just buying a copy of Windows XP.

dtfinch
March 2nd, 2006, 06:08 AM
I've had better stability running Quake II on Wine than I've had with the Linux ports.

Chozabu
March 15th, 2006, 08:29 AM
if running cedega instead of windows, you wont get stuffed up with ad/spyware, viruses or other malware
also no BSOD

isecore
May 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Increase mouse sensitivity in the game.

Doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that it feels as if the game only checks the mouse once every second and that makes for very jerky mouse-movement. Game runs fine otherwise, but mouselook is very jerky for unknown reasons.

UPDATE: typing "/_windowed_mouse 1" (exactly like that, but without the "") in the Q2 console solves the jerky mouse-movement. Apparently Q2 has problems grabbing the mouse in windowed mode, but that option solves it. Setting it to 1 is on, setting it to 0 is off. Only need to type it once, Q2 remembers the settings to next time!

forrestcupp
May 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM

-Wild

I'm sure you guys have already figured this out, but not only is the game engine in the repos, but they have open source map files in the repos, too. It's not exactly like playing the retail version of the game, but you get a playable version of Quake 2 for free.

xkendrax
September 11th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Hello, i already installed it but i have a problem, i cant go to fullscreen mode. How do i do that?

xkendrax
September 12th, 2007, 02:40 PM
anyone?

bonzodog
September 12th, 2007, 02:53 PM
hrm..not sure.

Where did you download the engine?

You should make sure you get the engine from icculus.org, as they have the most developed build (last updated 2005), then find a working idsoftware mirror, and download the exe version of the 3.20 engine, unzip it (it's only an archive), remove the pak1, pak2, and people folders. Combine that with your built engine, pak0 and video folders from the game CD into your chosen install directory, and if needed build the xatrix and rogue missions using the patches also downloaded from idsoftware mirror. I am probably going to re-install quake2 this weekend -- i have already built and installed prboom with sound and got the full doom and doom 2 games working.

sincebp
October 25th, 2007, 07:51 AM
isecore, thanks over and over

myname
November 8th, 2007, 11:36 PM
hrm..not sure.

Where did you download the engine?

You should make sure you get the engine from icculus.org, as they have the most developed build (last updated 2005), then find a working idsoftware mirror, and download the exe version of the 3.20 engine, unzip it (it's only an archive), remove the pak1, pak2, and people folders. Combine that with your built engine, pak0 and video folders from the game CD into your chosen install directory, and if needed build the xatrix and rogue missions using the patches also downloaded from idsoftware mirror. I am probably going to re-install quake2 this weekend -- i have already built and installed prboom with sound and got the full doom and doom 2 games working.

I grabbed the file from icculus.org, and did a chmod +x on it to execute. Now, I get this:

./quake2_3.21-r0.16.1-english.runVerifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Quake II 3.21+r0.16.1 Installer......................................... ............................
/home/kevinp/.setup8716: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

any ideas?

--Kevin

herbster
November 9th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I'd highly recommend Quetoo and Quake2world by Jay Dolan: jdolan.dyndns.org. Quetoo is the basic Q2 and incredibly well done linux port and Quake2World is a really nice modification of the game-- more a newer version of the game itself. Also #quetoo on freenode.