PDA

View Full Version : Facebook VS. Myspace

Ms_Angel_D
September 14th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Mostly I'm just curious as to which people like better, not whether you use them or not...

-grubby
September 14th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Facebook has obviously superior software, though everyone I know in real life uses MySpace.

bodyharvester
September 14th, 2009, 11:28 PM
i voted myspace coz i have a profile there, most people however seem to be going to facebook but i dont use even my myspace so i doubt ill make a facebook, it was just a way so friends who left college can keep in touch

ELD
September 14th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Facebook due to it being pretty useful.

Myspace is simply playing catchup nowadays, and i hate the whole community myspace seems to attract with "pc4pc" (picture comment for picture comment), "***** trains" and so many other stupid things to get another number on your list.

Joeb454
September 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Personally, I prefer Facebook, I don't have a MySpace account anymore

purgatori
September 14th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Dysentry or typhoid... quite the dilemma :-k

http://omploader.org/vMmN0eg/Myspace_DRAMAmine.jpg

http://omploader.org/vMmN1Mg/Failbook.png

bodyharvester
September 14th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Personally, I prefer Facebook, I don't have a MySpace account anymore

how do you delete a myspace account?

i may be young but i prefer talking face to face

HappinessNow
September 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Facebook over Myspace but honestly I don't like either of them.

I have yet to find a Social Network I like.

I like human-to-human interaction over online social networks.

Skripka
September 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM
How about neither? That sound agreeable?

Joeb454
September 15th, 2009, 12:02 AM
how do you delete a myspace account?

i may be young but i prefer talking face to face

It's somewhere in the account settings, I can't remember exactly

bodyharvester
September 15th, 2009, 12:07 AM

thanks, ill get round to it someday:)

dragos240
September 15th, 2009, 12:11 AM
I did not vote. For I hate both of them.

hoppipolla
September 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Facebook, but I do find it boring ._.

I would love to find a more fun network like Myspace, but that isn't owned by Rupert Murdoch and isn't kinda... irritating. lol

ElSlunko
September 15th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Facebook. Get's the job done in a tidy way.

HappinessNow
September 15th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Facebook, but I do find it boring ._.

I would love to find a more fun network like Myspace, but that isn't owned by Rupert Murdoch and isn't kinda... irritating. lol

Multiply?

XubuRoxMySox
September 15th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Neither one of them is for me. I have some friends on facebook, but I like to write lonnnnnng, thoughtful e-mails and letters - pen-pal kinda stuff - instead of the short little quips and "status reports" that my friends prefer.

-Robin

Groucho Marxist
September 15th, 2009, 01:19 AM
Mostly I'm just curious as to which people like better, not whether you use them or not...

Facebook; there's a reason why MySpace has the nickname "MyStalk"

blackened
September 15th, 2009, 01:27 AM
After having used myspace for a few months I realized that there was a reason I lost touch with the people I did. If they or I would've wished our relationship to continue, then we would have made the effort to keep it going. We didn't, it didn't, end of story.

Plus it all struck me as community-wide ego masturbation. If I wanted that I would hang out at the local coffee shop.

Find me something that lets me establish new friendships with people that have common interests, then you have a real social networking site that I might could be bothered to look into.

MasterNetra
September 15th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I prefer the Ubuntu Forums! :D

RiceMonster
September 15th, 2009, 05:10 AM
I prefer the Ubuntu Forums! :D

Yeah, this is a social networking site for sure

dhughes
September 15th, 2009, 05:16 AM
If I had to pick it would be Facebook for sure.

It's funny how Facebook and Myspace evolved into what they are today which are not quite what their original purpose was supposed to be.

Myspace was originally made for bands to promote themselves, Facebook was sort of a College yearbook where people could keep in touch and make connections once they graduated. They're pretty much the same thing only very different in design.

Now Myspace looks like crap.

Facebook is a lot better and has become sort of what it was originally intended to be but now for everyone instead of just college students.

tjwoosta
September 15th, 2009, 05:26 AM
Neither, both are obvious data mining operations.

zer010
September 15th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I didn't vote, but I've had both, and I killed both accounts. As far as aesthetics, I prefer Facebook. As far as ease of account removal, Myspace is better. Facebook leaves your account open in the hopes that you'll return. I don't know if your account ever really gets closed with Facebook. For social-networking, besides :KSThe Legendary Ubuntu Forums:KS, I run on Mocospace sometimes. It's an interesting side-attraction for mobile networking.

OutOfReach
September 15th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Myspace, why? All my friends are on it, no use getting a Facebook and having 0 friends, eh?
Myspace isn't as bad as everyone says, the "webcam girl"-type spam has almost diminished, plus I like the IM bar at the bottom

blackened
September 15th, 2009, 06:09 AM
...the "webcam girl"-type spam has almost diminished...

So wait, you mean that one of the spammers on myspace is considering not spamming anymore? Now that's what I call progress.

Странник
September 15th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I had a myspace account a while back, but I closed it.
Myspace is just too much teen-oriented and most of the teens have no brains nowadays (at least those who i have contacted )

misfitpierce
September 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I chose Myspace. I have a facebook account but just never took the time to really get into it and meet people and set up my facebook page. Myspace just has more people I know on it and is just easier and more functioning.

TuckLive
September 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Neither one [-(

the.dark.lord
September 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Try 'Logout'? :)

Paqman
September 15th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Facebook's new "lite" interface makes it a lot nicer to use, IMO. Their mobile site does a reasonably good job of squeezing a lot of info onto a small screen, too.

http://lite.facebook.com/

ELD
September 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Myspace, why? All my friends are on it, no use getting a Facebook and having 0 friends, eh?
Myspace isn't as bad as everyone says, the "webcam girl"-type spam has almost diminished, plus I like the IM bar at the bottom

My friends have all moved to facebook as they realise it is better.

As for the IM bar, yet another idea myspace poached from facebook.

ticopelp
September 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Facebook is the least obnoxious of the two, although both are just time-wasters for the most part.

RabbitWho
September 15th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I don't have a Facebook, and I don't really talk to people using myspace, I prefer emails for friends and message boards for strangers.. where myspace really comes into its own is music. Band pages are excellent, get the news to you faster than the website (you'd need to visit the website every day or clog up your email with a newsletter) have free streaming music, and often allow you to communicate with the musicians!

As for talking to your friends.. I really don't get the point of social networking websites.

RabbitWho
September 15th, 2009, 01:24 PM
My friends have all moved to facebook as they realise it is better.

As for the IM bar, yet another idea myspace poached from facebook.

From Gmail you mean?

I like the idea of someone on an open sourse distro getting huffy about people "poaching" deas.

madnessjack
September 15th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Facebook has to be quicker/sleeker etc but MySpace Music is a big win. It's essential for bands on the Internet these days.

ELD
September 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
From Gmail you mean?

I like the idea of someone on an open sourse distro getting huffy about people "poaching" deas.

I'm talking social networking sites here, not email ;)

Who is getting huffy anyway, i was pointing something out, and who cares if i use an open source distro, myspace and facebook are not open source :)

BrokenKingpin
September 15th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I don't have an account for either. I sometimes visit MySpace to check out music, but that is it.

chucky chuckaluck
September 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
+1 for facebook lite. myspace is a great argument against using flash.

Simian Man
September 15th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Myspace sucks because none of my friends or family members have any business designing websites :).

khelben1979
September 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I voted Facebook, although I strongly refuse to use it the way it was supposed to. I don't trust the security of Facebook.

Majorix
September 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Never used either, or anything similar for that matter. Great time wasters.

hoppipolla
September 15th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Never used either, or anything similar for that matter. Great time wasters.

They're good for keeping in touch with friends though aren't they? I use Facebook almost like a phone or address book :)

Simian Man
September 15th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Facebook mirrors (http://mirror.facebook.net/) many open source projects including Fedora and CentOS :).

matchstich
September 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
i have a myspace profile--do not go much

also facebook, it's fun to play with

and eons-- geared more for my age group.

Joe_Strummer
September 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I used to use Myspace all the time and never bother with Facebook, but now I like Facebook a whole lot better.

Ms_Angel_D
September 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Wow thanks for voting guys...lol. This whole thread confirms my suspicion that myspace is all but dead, except for the teens that use it.

I know my kid & his friends live there when not doing other things. But I also noticed that their tend to be a lot more adults on facebook.

davo11
September 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
MySpace is only useful if you have a band IMHO

fatality_uk
September 15th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Don't use either. I never really seen the appeal for either.

ELD
September 16th, 2009, 12:00 PM
They're good for keeping in touch with friends though aren't they? I use Facebook almost like a phone or address book :)

Agreed it is my backup phonebook, athlough a lot of the time its better than my phone since when my friends get new phones they update there.

Along with keeping in touch with cousins, sisters-in-law (if that is even a correct term) etc etc.

I don't use it for "time wasting" i use it to actually keep in contact with people, i use ubuntu forums for time wasting ;)

Johnsie
September 16th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I'm developing my own social-networking site

I don't think either of those two serve much practical use. Yes, they are good for noseying in on your friends and wasting time but that's about it.

So, I think the next step for social networking needs to be making it actually useful. What I'm thinking is:

-Make groups actually useful.. kinda like these forums.
-A decent calendar that people will actually use to organise their lives
-Applications that aren't just meaningless
-Built in marketplace
-informed decision making to help you make choices
-Just enough of the useless crap to keep people with no lives busy
-Just enough crap to keep the attention seeking drama queens happy

Oh and FB vs MS... I think there are a few thing good about each. I like that your myspace profile is more customisabe, however Myspace have implented it badly and that allows users to create resource hogging templates. Facebook on the other hand is very boring and allows very little room for customisation. Yes, that works well but it prevents people expressing their personality. To be honest I prefered the old days of Geocities and Tripod where users had to learn a wee bit of HTML and create their very own webpages. There was a lot more originality in those days :-)

Facebook applications vs Myspace applications... From a developers perspective I find facebook much easier to develop applications for. Myspace seems to have messed up. The good thing about Facebook applications is that they are very easy to port to Bebo.

t0p
September 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I didn't vote. I opened accounts at both Myspace and Facebook, but they fell into disuse a long time ago. I really can't see the attraction. A friend sent me an invite for Hard Candy Space (http://hardcandyspace,ning.com), so I signed up there as well. Same outcome. Social networking isn't for me.

Myspace is useful for datamining. If you're into that kind of thing. Which I'm not, obviously. ;) Good for stalkers, I guess.

Something odd: I get email sent to one of my gmail accounts when someone makes a friend request to my Myspace account. And I get requests, not infrequently. Usually from women. Is Myspace used as an online dogging directory or something?

I'm developing my own social-networking site

Huh? Why? Aren't there enough already?

To be honest I prefered the old days of Geocities and Tripod where users had to learn a wee bit of HTML and create their very own webpages.

Sniff sniff. Smells like elitism?

Ease of use is a great thing. I've done some HTML in my time, but it is an awful PITA. WYSIWYG editors revolutionized the web. Okay, so there's a lot of crap out there. But there are plenty of gems too, many of which wouldn't exist if the creators had to sit there tapping markup into a text editor. Remember, not everyone with something valuable to say has the time or inclination to learn HTML.

Johnsie
September 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Huh? Why? Aren't there enough already?

Yep, but suits my needs better because I designed it ;-)

Sniff sniff. Smells like elitism?

Nope, those sites were fun and people got to be original rather wearing the uniform of facebook or myspace. However I would have to concede that my site is a little elitist as a user requires an invite code to join. I have to keep the riff-raff out lol.

madjr
September 16th, 2009, 03:38 PM
i dislike both , but facebook is least annoying layout

NightwishFan
September 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Facebook is lesser of two ridiculous evils.

geogur
September 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM
facebook is a way of me keeping in touch with all the people i work with in the winter . i work at a ski resort as ski patrol and have made friends all over the resort young and old . keeping up with them in the off season is why i subscribe to facebook it`s a good app if you have a use for it

Giant Speck
September 16th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Facebook Lite (http://lite.facebook.com) FTW!*

* Only currently available in the United States and India

HappinessNow
September 16th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Facebook Lite (http://lite.facebook.com) FTW!*

* Only currently available in the United States and India
+1

Very Nice!

Giant Speck
September 16th, 2009, 10:39 PM
+1

Very Nice!

I love it. I never have to click "Ignore <random application>" or "Hide <random application>" ever again!

zeroseven0183
September 17th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Facebook over MySpace.

Does MySpace have Restaurant City? Nahhh...

dinair
September 17th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Well for me my favorite is facebook. I am using it on regular basis. I don't like myspace. I love to use facebook.

~sHyLoCk~
September 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
And the 100th vote goes to FB. Myspace is annoying. :lolflag:

amitabhishek
September 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
May be its just me; but I am tired seeing people bragging about themselves on networking sites. I am tired seeing their holiday snaps, their pets, their kids, their 'achievements'...such smugness. :x

I wanted to rant & I ranted at a most unlikely of places.

~sHyLoCk~
September 17th, 2009, 05:51 AM
May be its just me; but I am tired seeing people bragging about themselves on networking sites. I am tired seeing their holiday snaps, their pets, their kids, their 'achievements'...such smugness. :x

I wanted to rant & I ranted at a most unlikely of places.

+100
It's not just you. IT IS ANNOYING to see "your friend X has taken this quiz, please compare results". I dnt care about who is having what for lunch and how is his/her mood right now. And I seriously could care less about joining a group.They just spam your inbox with updates and messages. -__- But yes I'm in facebook to interact with my friends and family,relatives, coz it's cheaper than a phone call. :lolflag:

Isarii
September 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I'm loving how one sided this is. This may be the most one sided poll ever.

~sHyLoCk~
September 17th, 2009, 06:38 AM
I'm loving how one sided this is. This may be the most one sided poll ever.

You want me to start Windows Vs Linux poll? :lolflag:

Ms_Angel_D
September 17th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Facebook has turned out to be a great thing for someone like me who has a really large family.

When my Grandmother on my mothers sided Passed away 3 yrs ago she was survived by 7 children 32 grandchildren 42 great grandchildren & 22 great great grand children

My Grandfather on my dad's side passed last year and was survived by 12 children 52 grand children, 37 great grandchildren & 28 great great grandchildren.

When you have a family the size of mine it can be hard to keep in touch with relatives. I once tried starting a family website but, it's hard to get the information out or people just are too busy to register. Facebook on the other hand has allowed me to stay in touch with many of relatives, as most people don't have a problem with registering on social networking websites.

misfitpierce
September 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I am super surprised at the outcome. I did not think Myspace would be way behind Facebook but what a surprise. Facebook just seems plain to me. But then again I have had a myspace account since it was not populated everywhere and was still a baby.

magmon
January 10th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I used to think myspace was cool, but I have to say that facebook does a much better job at finding people you know and has much better messaging features. What do you guys think? Myspace or facebook?

judge jankum
January 10th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Facebook for use has been far faster in growing than myspace, but we still use myspace too.

AllRadioisDead
January 10th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Myspace never caught on in Canada, we all use Facebook (Well, from my experience as a Canadian Teenager, whatever that's worth).

CharlesA
January 10th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Both suck.

dragos240
January 10th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Neither.

judge jankum
January 10th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Both suck.
It all sucks

magmon
January 10th, 2010, 05:45 AM
It all sucks

If something sucks, something else is superior. Therefor, whether or not one sucks, the other is better.

Yes, I'm being a hypocrit because I put the neither option, but which would you rather use =P? The neither is if you use something else.

oldsoundguy
January 10th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Facebook .. I have found friends I lost 40 years ago .. including my long lost daughter.

magmon
January 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Facebook .. I have found friends I lost 40 years ago .. including my long lost daughter.

Glad to hear it! I found friends I lost about 8 years ago, not nearly as impressive as your story, but that's half my life lol.

judge jankum
January 10th, 2010, 05:51 AM
If something sucks, something else is superior. Therefor, whether or not one sucks, the other is better.

Yes, I'm being a hypocrit because I put the neither option, but which would you rather use =P? The neither is if you use something else.
It all sucks, but facebook seems better lol!

magmon
January 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM
It all sucks, but facebook seems better lol!

Thank you! Lol.

Khakilang
January 10th, 2010, 07:41 AM
I choose Facebook because all of my friends are in Facebook.

garrikx
January 10th, 2010, 07:48 AM
You know, I do use both, however, if everyone who used myspace used facebook it wouldn't be a contest.

Genius314
January 10th, 2010, 07:57 AM
MySpace seems to be focused more around yourself (ridiculously huge user pages with generic themes, your own blog, etc)
It's also horribly stuck in Web 1.0 (the huge pages, flashy GIF's, embedded music)

Facebook is more centered around connecting people, and isn't as cluttered. But the apps have become a serious problem (as have the groups and pages, more recently)

MySpace is only really useful now for musicians. Although if sites like Bandcamp (http://bandcamp.com/) become more popular, MySpace will basically be useless.

Simon17
January 10th, 2010, 08:36 AM
thx 4 the add

Sef
January 10th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Merged. Identical threads.

phillychease
January 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM
i prefer none cuz it wastes so much time!
but if i had to choose facebook FTW.
myspace has too much flash and crap like people can customize their profile. sometimes they put so much things it takes forever to load a profile!
and facebook is more clean.

Sand & Mercury
January 10th, 2010, 11:29 AM
MySpace seems to be focused more around yourself (ridiculously huge user pages with generic themes, your own blog, etc)
It's also horribly stuck in Web 1.0 (the huge pages, flashy GIF's, embedded music)

Facebook is more centered around connecting people, and isn't as cluttered. But the apps have become a serious problem (as have the groups and pages, more recently)

MySpace is only really useful now for musicians. Although if sites like Bandcamp (http://bandcamp.com/) become more popular, MySpace will basically be useless.
Well said.

FB really is superior by an order of magnitude. Not only is it far better technically and aesthetically but also the vibe is just so much better. They actively encourage proper communication and community between their users, where Myspace seems to be more about posturing and pettiness.

^ lol, alliteration ftw.

RabbitWho
January 10th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Weyhey I'm one of 9

Why I like Myspace:
1. No one I know is on it so they can't annoy me
2. There are loads of bands and musicians and artists that use Myspace to put their work out there for the world to see/hear.
3. My favourite is secret option number 3, the days when people created their own web page and used sites like webring (before it stopped being free) to connect to others. Myspace is closer to this in the levels of control you have on your profile and it's layout/appearance/what it includes. Individuality creativity and innovation through HTML! That's what the internet is all about!

Sidenote: Please don't abbreviate Facebook to FB, that means F..... fsex buddy.

shadow of the locust
January 10th, 2010, 02:21 PM
i like myspace for its music content. i quite enjoy playing their app games like mobsters and poker too.

the option to customise pages is good, but i tend to avoid adding people whose pages induce epilepsy.