PDA

View Full Version : Google saves your chat history online!

earobinson
February 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM
To lasey to cut and paste, plus site hits are cool:

http://earobinson.blogspot.com/2006/02/google-saves-your-chat-history-online.html
http://earobinson.blogspot.com/2006/02/how-will-google-make-money-with-gtak.html

geekphreak
February 7th, 2006, 08:05 AM
That's a little bit too much for my taste... Just a confirmation that not using Talk was not a bad decision, after all... at least for now...

earobinson
February 7th, 2006, 08:18 AM
what exactly is a little 2 much?

briancurtin
February 7th, 2006, 08:23 AM
i dont know if i would want my chat history stored online.

i dont use gtalk at the moment, because no one else i know uses it, but if i did, i just dont know how i feel about my conversations being saved online.

earobinson
February 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM
i dont know if i would want my chat history stored online.

i dont use gtalk at the moment, because no one else i know uses it, but if i did, i just dont know how i feel about my conversations being saved online.
Whats the diff you keep all your email? + Gaim lets you save your chat to your computer. And google has built in an off the record function....

Guess Im the only fan of gtalk and the support for jabber, and inter IM compatibility :(

nocturn
February 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Whats the diff you keep all your email? + Gaim lets you save your chat to your computer. And google has built in an off the record function....

Guess Im the only fan of gtalk and the support for jabber, and inter IM compatibility :(

I like neither. I don't like anyone storing my converstations and I even use encryption for sensitive stuff.

Stealth
February 7th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Guess Im the only fan of gtalk and the support for jabber, and inter IM compatibility

Hey, I'm sure a lot of people here use and like Gtalk, I'm sure everyone supports Jabber and inter IM stuff, but that's not the issue here. The issue is that your conversations are being logged on put online. Even though it's only for your Gmail account, it's still online, and acessible by others. Yea GAIM can log too, but they're logged on your computer, and no one will be looking through those 'cept you. I'll take my conversations and keep em logged locally thank you very much ^_^

Orunitia
February 7th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Like I said in the other thread, the logs are turned off by default, so you don't really have anything to worry about.

nocturn
February 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Like I said in the other thread, the logs are turned off by default, so you don't really have anything to worry about.

Are they? Or are they just not shown when you deselect that option?

I know their was a discussion about gmail mails not really being deleted (even when cleaning trash), but that may have been a bug.

Note that I'm not saying that they are doing this or anything bad. I'm just saying that I'm not sure for myself that they aren't.

earobinson
February 7th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Hey, I'm sure a lot of people here use and like Gtalk, I'm sure everyone supports Jabber and inter IM stuff, but that's not the issue here. The issue is that your conversations are being logged on put online. Even though it's only for your Gmail account, it's still online, and acessible by others. Yea GAIM can log too, but they're logged on your computer, and no one will be looking through those 'cept you. I'll take my conversations and keep em logged locally thank you very much ^_^
Most people use an email service that is stored ol I dont see the diff?

geekphreak
February 7th, 2006, 04:42 PM
what exactly is a little 2 much?
While it is tempting to call it convenient, I personally don't think that saving my chats online would be of any particular aadvantage to me, or in other words, I would not want them saved online.

briancurtin
February 7th, 2006, 07:07 PM
that is the difference. i keep Gaim logs on my computer, google keeps logs on their servers. they can, and do, read that stuff to bring you relevant ads. at the moment, i look at my IM conversations with a few people as more "secret" than almost all of my emails. id prefer that the history of those chats, and all chats i have that i keep logs of, were in my own control at all times (i realize you can turn gtalk logging off i guess). i do use gmail, but not as a primary email. things that matter to me or are sensitive information go through a different email account i have, which is still suceptible (sp) to being "hacked" or stolen or whatever, but for the most part i trust it more with my information.

earobinson
February 7th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Ok, so another question to the people who wont use the log feature, would this feature scair you away from using google talk, or any other jabber service (knowing that the galk person you are talking to with jabber can log files?) So far you seem to only be able to force off the record with the google talk client.

skirkpatrick
February 7th, 2006, 08:43 PM
It wouldn't stop me, I assume that anything I put on the Internet or send to another person can popup at any time.

AmboyGuy
February 7th, 2006, 08:50 PM
I love doing a Google search on 'AmboyGuy'. (I especially like the French one that quote's me on Mozilla Suite) Just kinda shows how private everything is. If encryption were an option I'd use it.