PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Podcast

geekphreak
February 7th, 2006, 07:37 AM
So, I've become a podcast junkie lately, and was thinking to myself the other day, "Would it not be cool to have Ubuntu-related podcasts?", something where the community would share news, tips, tricks & how-tos. Yes, I know, Ubuntu has a rich set of resources, but I just thought that audio or maybe even video podcasts (step-by-step video how-to's perhaps?) might be a nice addition.
Any thoughts on that?

briancurtin
February 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM
what can you really do as far as tips/tricks/how-tos through a podcast other than say "yeah you can do this really cool thing, so check it out on the ubuntu forums?"

news could definitely be carried through this medium, but tips/tricks/how-tos are much better done through text the way i see things.

geekphreak
February 7th, 2006, 07:58 AM
tips/tricks/how-tos are much better done through text the way i see things.
Yeah, I realize that, but it would not be bad if someone tried to put some more complex guides on video perhaps. Again, this is just a thought,
But, audio podcasts definitely seem like an appealing idea, and are far more realistic, I guess.

Sirin
February 7th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Is there any screen recording software for Ubuntu? That would be good for video guides. :)

Derek Djons
February 7th, 2006, 08:42 AM
I support the idea of a radio podcast because of the simple reason people with an iPod won't are not as often able to watch than listen. I'm travelling a lot everyday. Bike, Bus, skateboard and on foot. Only sometimes I watch videopodcast on the bus. I asked friends how they use their ipod's and that was pretty much the same way.

If some member would gather than I think the best example for Ubuntu and it's Podcasters would be Slashdot. Their way of talkin high-tech news it's always fun to hear, understandable for the majority and it never get bored.

But are there actually enough users with an iPod who use and sympathise Linux?

iansyngin
February 7th, 2006, 09:26 AM
I suppose the more media there is out there giving the people the choice is great. different strokes for different folks. maybe some people just don't like forums. maybe some people can't read. maybe sometimes they might loose their internet connection and that podcast could save the day. who knows. i think it could be an interesting idea.

Leo_01
February 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM
hey guys!
i got like this crazy idea of having a linux podcast like few weeks ago too!
why not lets gather some good news & info + some cool members and make like a short pilot...

iansyngin
February 7th, 2006, 09:29 AM
calm down Leo

heimo
February 7th, 2006, 10:32 AM
calm down Leo ;) (*laughing*) Some excitement is good. And the thought that making it a pilot first and not even planning to "release" weekly is something I like. Putting together ideas, shaping it into a good packet first and letting others see what's being done is open source way.

About videos: video guides would be great. Not neccessarily video podcasts, but something like what these guys do:
http://www.radiantvista.com/tutorials/video.php

Of course, producing audio podcasts and video guides is very time consuming - and requires talent. There are lots of Linux / tech podcasts out there and Ubuntu podcast should be unique in some way. Or just very good and interesting. I don't mean _professional_, but if this Ubuntu podcast sucks, or doesn't live up to expectations, it's going to flop.

Of course this is not my idea, but as the original poster asked for input, I'll try to share my thoughts. What's needed:
lot's of interest to keep producing new episodes - dedication
interesting topics, news, interview - content
regular new episodes, every week / two weeks / month - continuity
good enough technical quality that won't drive listeners away - quality
human approach, something that goes nicely with Ubuntu - personality
subscribers, these will appear if everything else works nicely - should not be main concern, but naturally podcast without subsribers won't workMain concern: Interest, ability and resources to make it happen. To get the first pilot out in reasonable time. Interest to keep it going - keeping it interesting, getting new quality content that interests. I'd love to see this happen. I'd like to hear interviews of Ubuntuforum's people - and Ubuntu developers, if possble. However, not all of these people are social / have time or interest to help. Some will.

I totally support this idea. Don't know if I'll be able to contribute.

:-k I'm scratching my head here. Maybe we could ... you people... could start by putting together links or a howto on Podcasting on Linux - tools and a work process - and continue by defining some loose work flow / process, which ideally would scale well ("load balancing"). :rolleyes:

Good luck. :KS

Leo_01
February 7th, 2006, 10:46 AM
haha...
i dun really see any linux podcast...
so having a podcast about a particular disto in linux is really the first!
why not lets draft up some good contents and pod away on skype or some voice chatting program?
actually i really like it if we can like get those really expert members from the forums every week as guest on the podcast...

Sirin
February 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Shall we take over the iTunes podcast directory? :twisted:

bionicyeti
February 7th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I would love to have a ubuntu podcast to listen too.

majikstreet
February 7th, 2006, 09:57 PM
strange!! a couple weeks ago I proposed an ubuntuforums podcast, which would probably be more of an ubuntu podcast, and it got very little replies... this thread got a lot!!

I'd love it!

iansyngin
February 7th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Does skype allow you to have a conference call?
might be a good idea to organise something like this for those interested.
i'm well up for it.

majikstreet
February 7th, 2006, 10:26 PM
yeah it does but only with up to four people i think.

iansyngin
February 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM
well there's always irc :)

ice60
February 18th, 2006, 11:24 PM
here's a link you can subscribe to.
http://www.feed2podcast.com/podcast/51430654.xml

it's from this blog which is very good.
http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/

ice60
February 18th, 2006, 11:31 PM
lol, i just listened to it.
http://audio.feed2podcast.com/Wikipedia_from_the_Command_Line-51430654-5.mp3

somuchfortheafter
February 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM
isnt lugradio.org an ubuntu podcast already?

ice60
February 19th, 2006, 12:34 AM
isnt lugradio.org an ubuntu podcast already?
lol, i hadn't thought of that. i'm sure they wouldn't all agree with you :-D