PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new cable router for virgin media .

markp1989
September 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM
i just got virgin media cable , i am happy with the broadband, but i dont like the router.

im looking for some recomendations for a router that works well with virgin cable.

any sugestions?

thanks Markp1989

marchwarden
September 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
If you are indeed referring to a supplied router and not the cable modem, then any Cable/DSL router will do. I have used a netgear WGR614 for about two years now without any hiccups. On the other hand, if you are talking about the cable modem (don't know what yours is likely to be, but mine is a Motorola Sufboard) then, as far as I know, you can not replace it.

MellonCollie
September 14th, 2009, 06:53 PM
See if you can hunt down a Linksys/Cisco WRT54GL: It's a Linux-based beast. I've been using one for a few years and have no complaints.

pwnst*r
September 14th, 2009, 07:08 PM
See if you can hunt down a Linksys/Cisco WRT54GL: It's a Linux-based beast. I've been using one for a few years and have no complaints.

it's a beast once flashed with third party firmware. with linksys firmware it's not much better than the rest, it just has massive potential.

markp1989
September 14th, 2009, 09:10 PM
thanks for the reply.

I was thinking of getting this 1 http://www.ebuyer.com/product/103185

and putting openwrt on it

im happy with the modem that they have given me, i just dont like the router, it is slow between the computers inside the house, not just the internet.

the current router i have is a netgear WGR614v9

it seems to have messed up my host names, my old router i used to connect to my router using host name ssh torrentslave now that doesnt work , i have to use the ip address.

markp1989
September 25th, 2009, 12:45 AM
thanks for the repply, i brouught WGR614v9 i was going to install openwrt on it, but im already happy with it as it is so i see no point, the qos settings sorted out everything i wanted :D

i sed xbox to highest priority to avoid any lagging, http trafic to high, and torrent trafic to low, and my network is exactly as i wanted :D

wish the router i got free had this feature, but it doesnt *shrug*