PDA

View Full Version : How many e-mail addresses do you have?

winjeel
September 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I finally thought I should get a Gmail address before all the good ones were taken. My name isn't John. D. Citizen, but the options I was given included things like hndcitizen@gmail... and hncitizen69@gmail...

Then I got thinking that I've been through a few generations of e-mail addresses. The first was a terribly designed university one, including my student number and @student.campusname.uni.uniname.... Then hotmail, webwombat, yahoo.uk, lycos, my own website's, one each from the two uni's I work at (part-time) and another from another uni I study at, and then for another website I've got a staff e-mail for that, too! Thank goodness you can have multiple accounts in Evolution and Gmail. I counted mine and found I currently have 11... I think.

pwnst*r
September 14th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I finally thought I should get a Gmail address before all the good ones were taken. My name isn't John. D. Citizen, but the options I was given included things like hndcitizen@gmail... and hncitizen69@gmail...

you're about 5 years late.

Bachstelze
September 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Not counting aliases, three. The one on my domain (which has a lot of aliases), my university one and my ISP one.

Tristam Green
September 14th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I was certain this thread would have been started by our Asian-character-laden friend.

I have two email addresses, and all the good Gmail names are taken.

They were taken within about five days of Gmail's release, in 2004.

winjeel
September 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I was certain this thread would have been started by our Asian-character-laden friend.

lol... I'm in Japan. So I guess it's a birds of a feather kind of thing. :)

RiceMonster
September 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM

Work
College
Personal - gmail
gmail for signing up for stuff - all spam goes here

Dragonbite
September 14th, 2009, 03:40 PM
GMail = primary
Live = "proffessional", though haven't done anything with it yet
Yahoo = previous primary, now legacy
Hotmail = alternative, to use MSN messenger with friends
personal domain = webmaster@.. info@.. etc. Forwards to my Gmail account currently
work = to be used only for work of course

Grenage
September 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Gmail
Ex-ISP (check about once a year)
Work
Hotmail/Passport/Live/insert current cool name here (never used)

RiceMonster
September 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hotmail = alternative, to use MSN messenger with friends

You can have an msn account with any email account. My msn account uses gmail :).

-grubby
September 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I have 1 Gmail account.

EDIT: Actually, I have a Hotmail account that I only use for IM.

chucky chuckaluck
September 14th, 2009, 03:55 PM
i have four that i use regularly. i have an extra couple of gmail addresses and over 100 yahoo addresses, but i don't use them very often.

jondkent
September 14th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I have 3, 2 personel and 1 work (does that count?). Used to have more, but that just got painful in the end.

Managed to get a good gmail email address so I'm happy :)

RabbitWho
September 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I used to have about 10, but gmail has eliminated the need for that.

Now I have three, one for spam, one for normal use, one professional.

ChrT
September 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I make a throwaway webmail account for every forum and IM service I sign up for, do they count if I don't save or remember the email/password after using it once?

Jesus_Valdez
September 14th, 2009, 07:46 PM
University one so they can spam me, MSN one so my friends and family can spam me and a Gmail one with such good user(my name, no "dots" nor "_" nor wierd combinations no nothing but my name) that everybody spam me.

EDIT. A yahoo account so I can enter and spam people on yahoogroups.

Kratos
September 14th, 2009, 07:54 PM
My Student Email
My Gmail
My (Old) Gmail
My (Unused) Yahoo

I have POP3 forwarding set up on my student email, which forwards everything to my gmail. However, my student email works through an ordinary Google Partner Page. So, technically, I have three gmail accounts.

Omnios
September 14th, 2009, 08:20 PM
As many as I need I have my own webhost and my last name as my email @????? address. Also use it for my website email and also my small business email.

PurposeOfReason
September 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
1) Main gmail
2) Spam gmail
3) Comcast that is only used when gmail isn't allowed
4) Uni which gets forwarded to main gmail.

koleoptero
September 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
2 hotmails
1 gmail
1 yahoo
1 aol mail (utterly useless)
2 from my uni

Why did I vote 1-5? :-k

subdivision
September 14th, 2009, 09:44 PM
I have five last time I counted.

davo11
September 14th, 2009, 10:12 PM
i've found you can get decent gmail accounts just by adding some meaningful number on the end eg - johnjones720@gmail.com. Most of them are ok like this

HappinessNow
September 14th, 2009, 10:24 PM

He obviously forgot to PM me with the new desired thread idea. :P

i've found you can get decent gmail accounts just by adding some meaningful number on the end eg - johnjones720@gmail.com. Most of them are ok like this Random meaningless numbers on an email address are the most indecent of all email addresses. :popcorn:

Back to the OP: After about 136 I lost track of how many gmails I actually have, collecting gmail accounts is one of my favorite hobbies. I should start writting them down to actually keep track of them.

I have one gmail I actively use, and one school email that I have synced with my gmail account so it is essentially like a gmail account since I both recieve and send through gmail with my school email address.

Joeb454
September 14th, 2009, 10:30 PM
7 I think...

Gmail, 2 for my domains (1 each), Uni, @me.com, @ubuntu.com & work :)

sports fan Matt
September 14th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Oddly enough, 1. Linked to T'bird. I should set a new one for spam through my isp but never got around to it.

stderr
September 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM
A whole assortment under various domains I own & manage, one uni e-mail with countless aliases, a hotmail e-mail (used purely for junk), an yahoo e-mail solely for yahoo groups purposes and probably a gmail I've forgotten about.

How many do I check? On the whole, just one :)

sefs
September 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Lol who are these persons with +16 accounts and how do you use them.

dragos240
September 14th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Where's the "I forget" option.

NovaAesa
September 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM
all the good Gmail names are taken.

They were taken within about five days of Gmail's release, in 2004.

Damn right! Luckily that's when I got my gmail account. It's firstnamelastname@gmail.com =] (with of course, my actual first name and last name, and they are pretty common names, I count myself lucky!)

misfitpierce
September 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I got a Gmail when Gmail started thankfully and got the name I wanted...

I only use 1 email... My GMAIL which is the best email out there.
Got a yahoo one that I send my spam too or signing up for garbage things I dont want going to my gmail but need verification link.
But overall... 1 Email is all I use.

Perfect Storm
September 15th, 2009, 08:56 AM
i have four that i use regularly. i have an extra couple of gmail addresses and over 100 yahoo addresses, but i don't use them very often.

I guess we've found our spambot :popcorn:

Dragonbite
September 15th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have, I think, all of my email addresses forwarded to my Gmail account and then I access my GMail account via IMAP via Evolution(Gnome) or Thunderbird(Windows) or Web interface, if I am at work.

chucky chuckaluck
September 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I guess we've found our spambot :popcorn:

no, no, i only use them for mischief (spam goes under 'boring', in my records).

Nevon
September 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
4, I think.

madnessjack
September 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Got my own domain (with several aliases), and I use Gmail (two addresses, one goes to my main). I have others (on hotmail, myspace and my family website) but they don't get used or just forward to my Gmail.

So just the two in use I'd say - Gmail and my own.

Martje_001
September 15th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Gmail - For personal use
School - Never use it

megamania
September 15th, 2009, 02:31 PM
a Gmail one with such good user(my name, no "dots" nor "_" nor wierd combinations no nothing but my name) that everybody spam me.

Even if you had dots in the name, you could use the "dotless" equivalent on gmail.

For example, if your address is jesus.valdez@gmail.com, emails sent to jesusvaldez@gmail.com would reach your address.

the.dark.lord
September 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Who the hell has 16+ addresses?

I personally have 3:
1. Informal
2. Formal
3. University (almost never used)

sunchiqua
September 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM
14 e-mail addresses under different private domains + 1 on Gmail :)

megamania
September 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Who the hell has 16+ addresses?

I do. The result of switching providers and email services over the years. Now I only use 4/5 addresses, one for work and the others are gmail (plus a Yahoo active address).

I even stopped using email programs - gmail's web interface is great. You just have to set it up properly.

Jesus_Valdez
September 15th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Even if you had dots in the name, you could use the "dotless" equivalent on gmail.

For example, if your address is jesus.valdez@gmail.com, emails sent to jesusvaldez@gmail.com would reach your address.
Well that explain lots of things, I was starting to think that in fact I'am in a Mariachi band living in Italy, playing in weddings and about to sign a record deal, although that would keep me distracted from my other life as worker of the Toluca municipality in the waste disposal office.

Barrucadu
September 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Four.

Main email address.
UCAS email address.
Two old addresses I am phasing out of use.

hessiess
September 15th, 2009, 06:12 PM
One which gets changed periodically when it becomes too much of a spam target.

Sinkingships7
September 15th, 2009, 06:24 PM
GMail - Primary Professional (school, business)
AIM 1 - Current Casual (web forums, accounts)
AIM 2 - Legacy Spam (old web accounts)

My AIM 1 email is forwarded to my GMail account. AIM 2 is only checked bi-monthly. The only AIM 2 web account I still use is this very one, here on Ubuntu Forums. I didn't want to erase this name and get a new one, 'cause I already have somewhat of a reputation.

KegHead
September 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
4 is enough.

KegHead

madnessjack
September 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Got my own domain (with several aliases), and I use Gmail (two addresses, one goes to my main). I have others (on hotmail, myspace and my family website) but they don't get used or just forward to my Gmail.

So just the two in use I'd say - Gmail and my own.

Oh and my work email - how could I forget that! :P

aaaantoine
September 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I have more that I don't know about or neglect, but I have 5 that I use at least for account purposes (example: the old MSN required Hotmail registration, or at least so I thought at the time).

winjeel
September 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Lol who are these persons with +16 accounts and how do you use them.

Not being a +16, but getting close it it. I've gone through several generations of e-mail systems, mid-1990's, then early 00's, hotmail, yahoo, and such. Having my own domains bumped up that number... and down. Then changing mobile phone providers. AU in Japan gives you an ultra personalised address like 8jr8erjer8fje9e37e3hey6dh@au...jp. And now with Softbank. Phones in Japan come with e-mail addresses (not all ultra personalised), how about other countries?

doorknob60
September 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Gmail - Main, only one I use for E-Mail
Yahoo - Never use, only if needed if for some reason I can't use Gmail, and occasionally IMing
AOL - Never use...just for AIM
My ISP one - Use it to log into their site for some useful things (checking bandwidth usage, etc.), but don't use for E-mails
Hotmail...Oh god how bad can a Spam filter possibly be?
http://i27.tinypic.com/1jt5k3_th.png (http://i27.tinypic.com/1jt5k3.png)
Look at the dates, and compare the number of messages in Inbox and Junk....yeah fail...Gmail filters 99% of all spam, and I don't get 20 spans per day on Gmail either :P

Jesus_Valdez
September 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
hotmail filters tons of spam.

At least on my inbox one or two spam gets their way into the inbox every couple of weeks or such, its very rare.

DougieFresh4U
September 17th, 2009, 07:32 AM

To funny but on the money! :lolflag:

montres
September 20th, 2009, 07:19 PM
My main account is in yahoo. I have 2 or 3 "disposable" accounts, also in yahoo.