PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] update to 8.10 problems, no internet, no mouse or keyboard

bobsr
September 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
hi,

this is my first post here, been reading this forum for a while

i am in middle of updating ubuntu server from 8.04 to 9.04

with Update Manager, the next update avialable was 8.10 , while the update was in progress, the machine rebooted for some hardware issue.

now, on login screen, keyboard and mouse do not work

i can go to recovery mode, there is no internet

i tried doing a search here if someone had same problems, nothing really worked for me.

the machine has some sensitive data on it.

can anyone shed some light, if they had same problem, or what would be the best route to update it while saving data.

earthpigg
September 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM
it sounds like saving data is the absolute priority, correct?

boot from a LiveCD and copy it off onto an external hard drive/thumb drive.

after that... well... with no functional keyboard or mouse (bizzare!), im not sure how any possible fix could be implimented - short of a clean install.

have you tried silly things like different usb ports or using a ps/2 keyboard? i know its silly, but clearly this is a pretty silly problem so....

bobsr
September 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
the data is really important. it all over the system, wouldn't know where to start backup if fresh intallation is required.

i dowloaded a 9.04 .iso from ubuntu site, hoping the it will pick up upgrade where is left off. Unfortunately, it not.

tried mounting iso and did

sudo /media/cdrom/cdromupdate

it threw buch of python errors

can the internet be fixed somehow. i can go to root prompt from recovery mode, then maybe can run upgrade.