PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] GL Chess incorrectly installed

orsenthil
September 14th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I like GL Chess program better than other alternatives. In my ubuntu 9.04, when I try to start GL Chess, a dialog box comes up and says, GL Chess is Incorrectly Installed.

Chess is not able to start because required application files are not installed. If you are currently upgrading your system please wait until the upgrade has completed.
I try uninstall/purge and install of gnome-games and nothing happens.

Any troubleshooting steps?

earthpigg
September 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
run it from a terminal, and take a look at the output there?

i have run into stuff that did not have things it should have listed as dependancies before:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=7105928&postcount=3

earthpigg
September 14th, 2009, 12:36 PM
i'd look for places other than debian and ubuntu websites, such as this, that list dependancies.

http://www.gtkfiles.org/app.php/glChess

if the folks that wrote glchess list something as a dependancy, but the folks at debian and ubuntu did not include that as a dependancy then... well.... i suppose we can forgive debian for making a mistake or two considering the tens of thousands of packages they need to maintain, right? :D

it may not be a depen issue at all, of course. need to see terminal output and make sense of it.

orsenthil
September 16th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the reply. There isn't any terminal output when I typed glchess in the terminal. The error log is hidden or swallowed by the gui, I guess. But I did look around the links that you mentioned.
I see the problem could be that, glchess too much depends upon Python2.4.
while in Ubuntu 8.10, the Python2.4 was listed in the supported versions in /usr/share/python/debian_defaults from Ubuntu 9.04 onwards, this is no longer the case.

I can install python2.4 and edit the above file and try again.
Or try to complie glchess using Python2.5 ( i am trying to do that now).

I have raised a bug report to glchess to upgrade the support to python2.5.

Thanks again!