PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xp Vista Ubuntu boot help

Tyson S
September 14th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Hi i have had xp and ubuntu installed for a while now, but 2 days ago i installed VISTA big mistake now i cannot acccess ubuntu (8.10) i have tried supergrub and moving my something .lst (the add to easy bcd) and doing this i was able to get access to ubuntu 8.10 bootscreen (which shows xp and all ubuntu) but when i enter it says Booting 'Ubuntu 8.1, Kernal 2.6 27-14-generic'

Error 17 file not found:|

i know this is not true because when i use live cd i can see all my ubuntu documents.

Plzz help me.

Thank you even if you cant help:mrgreen:):P
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you it worked, thankx for your time:):P

cholericfun
September 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
strange that supergrub didnt do the job.

theres tons of advice on using GRUB after installing windows.
its really just a few lines in the terminal

you shouldnt neet to edit anything in menu.lst
however i had a problem with the updated GRUB that it pointed to the wrong partitions in menu.lst - i guess that wasnt a common problem though cause it would have temporarily caused a huge amount of forum traffic.

so check this Manual:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot#Recovering GRUB after reinstalling Windows

or (copy past from there...)
1. Boot into a LiveCD
2. Open a terminal
3. Open the GRUB Command line utility by typing

sudo grub

4. Tell GRUB where your Ubuntu partition is by entering

root (hdA,B)

Where 'A' is the hard-drive number, starting at 0, and 'B' is the partition number, starting at 0. For example, if Ubuntu was installed on the second partition of the first hard-drive, the command should be

root (hd0,1)

5. Tell GRUB which drive to put the boot sector on

setup (hd0)

(replacing 0, as above, if a drive other than the first is used as the boot device)

6. Leave the GRUB Command line

quit

and reboot.