PDA

View Full Version : Happy Belated Anniversary, Sega Dreamcast!

pwnst*r
September 14th, 2009, 05:38 AM
ugh, i can't believe i forgot last wednesday marked the 10 year anniversary of the Dreamcast launch way back on 09/09/1999. that system was the first time i had played online and it was way ahead of it's time for consoles. i still have my original system which works great, a broadband adapter, a ton of games, and an unopened brand new Dreamcast.

great article here (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/09/the-swirl-that-shook-gaming-the-sega-dreamcast-turns-10.ars) from Ars Technica.

http://i3.iofferphoto.com/img/item/146/725/96/1.jpg

Vakman
September 14th, 2009, 05:55 AM
The system was great. A shame it was so ahead of it's time.
Online play, great graphics and much more. Really led the way in my opinion and other's as well. One article I read said that it was "to much to soon". I agree with that. Anyway, good system it is/was.

xenogia
September 14th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I honestly think it was the piracy that was its downfall. You could play those games with either a self-booting iso or the Kalisto Boot Disc. Amazing system, but I hate to say back when I was 18 I helped the piracy boom that this system was well known for.

I miss the Dreamcast :(

Naiki Muliaina
September 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Phantasy Star Online = Win

How many hours did i lose to that game? >.<

In the UK felt like it got killed by the Playstation 2 *all my mates have got one* effect.

Xzallion
September 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I love this system, got one hooked up in my barracks room with my old toploading NES.

Piracy wasn't its downfall though xenogia, lack of developers plus the public idea that no games would be made for it cause poor launch sales, and the company was unable to stay solvent long enough to last once the Playstation 2 was launched. Read an article on it a little while back that pointed out that while piracy was easy on it, it wasn't as wide spread and didn't really affect sales.

MellonCollie
September 14th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I got my Dreamcast out of hibernation in order to play it on (or around) the 10 year anniversary. Soul Calibur was, and still is, one of the finest fighting games ever!

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7706/dscf0525b.jpg

Blue swirl > Orange swirl

sena_akada
September 14th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Phantasy Star Online = Win

How many hours did i lose to that game? >.<

In the UK felt like it got killed by the Playstation 2 *all my mates have got one* effect.

pso <3

pookiebear
September 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I sold mine last year! The RC car revolution game was awesome! I could easily say the graphics and gameplay was as good as my wii if not better.

pwnst*r
September 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
i just got done playing some Jet Set Radio and Ferrari F355 :)

aaaantoine
September 14th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Some favorite games of mine back in the day

Armada
Crazy Taxi
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Shenmue

pwnst*r
September 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
also, MDK2 was phenomenal. for those of you that have never played it and still have your Dreamcast, you know what to do.

RabbitWho
September 14th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I wanted one of them so much when I was a kid, I saved up for 2 years and when I finally had enough money games were already near impossible to get for it. I ended up giving most of the money away.
It wasn't possible to play online in Ireland anyway apparently.

I'll be a sega-girl forever.. Final Fantasy not withstanding.

I mean look at that design.. and the Sega Megadrive II... they don't make things that beautiful any more.

pwnst*r
September 14th, 2009, 05:05 PM
brings a tear to my eye :*(

forrestcupp
September 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Toy Commander and Shenmue were awesome.