PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Here Grow Up Using Linux?

chessnerd
September 14th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Most of the people on these forums grew up using Windows, myself included.

However, I was wondering if anyone here grew up using Linux? If not using Linux, did you grow up with the knowledge that Linux existed (likely because a parent used it at work and talked about it)?

I didn't learn about the existence of Linux until recently. January of this year, in fact.
Wow, that seems like a long time ago...

kevdog
September 14th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I'm growing up now using Linux -- does that count?

j7%<RmUg
September 14th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I didnt grow up using linux, although i do wish that i had now.

MikeTheC
September 14th, 2009, 05:17 AM
I've yet to hear of anyone growing up because of Linux.

However, as technology and F/OSS becomes ever more embedded in the human consciousness, one day we may yet see an emacs macro for that. :p

jrusso2
September 14th, 2009, 05:29 AM
All we had was a typewriter when I grew up. And at school we had a teletype connected to a mainframe.

ndefontenay
September 14th, 2009, 05:35 AM
No not yet. I think we are the generation making sure that some people grow up with it. My girls know about linux :D

They love it and they think xkill is cool hahaha

matthew.ball
September 14th, 2009, 05:43 AM
My older brother was into bsd when I was young (though I don't remember much about it, other than some manuals that are still lying around somewhere).

That's about the closest I got to growing up with Linux. This was when I was about 6, though, I wasn't really into computers at that point.

binbash
September 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I am 26 years old and using linux for 10 years. So you can count me in :)

tubasoldier
September 14th, 2009, 07:50 AM
My two year old son uses Linux all the time to play gcompris and childsplay.
So there are some who are getting there.

konqueror7
September 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM
well, not linux directly. but i didn't grew up using windows. my father had an atari pc (can't remember the model), but definitely it was not both windows and linux. :P

Gen2ly
September 14th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I had one of these when I was real young:

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/photos/texas-instrument_ti994a_1.jpg

The TI 99/4a. It was like the first computer you could really get in your home. It didn't really come with any programs on it but I found a magazine store that had computer stuff in it and they would publish little games and programs. Of course you had to type it all in (and it was pages long). No debugger or anything, you got one letter wrong the program just wouldn't run. They were mostly games I tried, pretty hokey, but kinda fun too. Didn't have a hard drive, so at first when I played the game for awhile, I just had to shut it off. Later we learned that you could attach a cassette recorder to it and you could record the data magnetically. Ah, good times.

Oh, I wish I still had that thing. Probably get me a good price on ebay... bah, I wouldn't sell it.

Wasn't Linux, though :)

toupeiro
September 14th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Even though my first computer exposure was on old Apple ]['s and Amigas, I did my real teeth cutting on MS-DOS. I first started dabbling in UNIX at the age of 14 when my dialup ISP offered T-1 shell accounts for an extra $5.00 per month which was REALLY nice considering 28.8kbps was not out yet. I don't think I touched linux until I was almost 17. At that time, I was all about Windows NT. :P How times have changed.

tsali
September 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I've yet to hear of anyone growing up because of Linux.

However, as technology and F/OSS becomes ever more embedded in the human consciousness, one day we may yet see an emacs macro for that. :p

I "grew up" using MacOS. The move to MacOSX opened up linux for me as they were similar at heart.

I did not have any experience with Windows until 2003 when frustration with Mandrake drove me to buy my first retail copy of XP Home.

I had avoided Windows because I bought into all the fud posted about it in the linux forums...I was very surprised when it turned out to work quite well - far more reliable than the Mandrake system it replaced.

You could say I "outgrew" my fanboyism for linux because of linux...

scorp123
September 14th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone here grew up using Linux? I was almost still (... ;) ...) a teenager when I started to use Linux in 1996. So I suppose that counts? :D

praveesh
September 14th, 2009, 10:54 AM
In our place, there is a subject named IT in the high schools . When I was in the high school, the schools were given an opportunity to choose between windows and linux(now only linux is allowed. They are using a custom version of debian ). In the text books we used , there were tutorials for both windows and linux . So certainly , I knew the existance of linux. But now , only linux is being used in the schools . It was because , the government was inspired by a talk of Mr Stallman. So the new children in our place are growing up learning the linux . My first personal computer(brought at the beginning of under graduation programme) had linux in it . It was an assembled computer so I asked the vendor to install linux .