PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Linux geek, using Linux without X?

frenchn00b
September 14th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Hi,

You've never thought about using X, not convenient? Is there / Are you a Linux geek, using Linux without X? Then what's your browser? What do you do with your box?

:popcorn: ::popcorn::popcorn::)

Greg
September 14th, 2009, 04:32 AM
While I've considered tossing X to the curb a few times (mainly due to k.mandla's blog ;)) I've decided that the overhead isn't significant enough on my computer for it to matter, the ease of a graphical browser is, if not a need, at least a want, and I like Xmonad more than screen or dvtm alone.

MikeTheC
September 14th, 2009, 04:32 AM
I've never not used X on my desktop Linux machines.

I *do* have a server without X installed on it. But then it's a headless Mac mini sitting on a planter shelf in the living room.

RiceMonster
September 14th, 2009, 04:34 AM
My desktop boots into the console but I start x right after login. The closest I get to console only is when I use dwm.

kevdog
September 14th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I'm not sure why you would want to but -- hey that's me.

inobe
September 14th, 2009, 04:50 AM
must take advantage of mainstream hardware and video acceleration and tweak the graphical user interface.

DarkPanther
September 14th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I rarely ever use the command-line other than installing things, and running programs as root, I probably never use Linux with just the command line only :)

earthpigg
September 14th, 2009, 05:14 AM
i use LXDE, but use the cli for simple tasks.

Barrucadu
September 14th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I have used my laptop without X, but currently use X.

toupeiro
September 14th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I'm used to supporting shared linux servers so yes, I could, but .. what does it prove really?? That I can run an OS based on a command parser .. with a command parser? I work at the command line for easily over 90% of my linux based activities. I manage command lines with gui's and virtual desktops, and I also use X-based apps. Seems like if I went to complete CLI, I would miss out on the gui apps I do like and would want to run. The whole concept really makes less and less sense the more I think about it.

It must be an OCD thing.:lolflag:

cmay
September 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I almost always have a installation on my oldest computer that runs something with commandline oly. I had minix without x. debian lenny and now it is a FreeBSD installation.

I use x in that and I have xfce installed but I boot into a console only. sometimes I dont start x other times i do. I use elinks as browser and nanao as texteditor. I mainly use my computers to learn programming.

or I use them to record music and I also have a single computer i use to wacth televison youtube and my ripped dvd collection.
it is the only one that is important to me that it has all the codecs installed.

Exodist
September 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
While I can get around fluently and do everything without X or my desktop. I am a sucker for eyecandy!

I keep 2 terms open on my first desktop just to do many things I only know how to do on the CLI. I also use IRC on the terminal screens.

tsali
September 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I use Debian in a headless server via SSH.

It is not a workstation or desktop.

RabbitWho
September 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I don't want to stereotype or categorise.. but generally.. dyslexics do it with pictures.
:P

khelben1979
September 14th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I combine working in text consoles and the X server. I usually want to compile source code on a text console because of all the text output, for example, plus that I like the feeling when it's just black and white.

beercz
September 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
All my servers run Debian - without X (apart from 1) and all run from the command line - usually via ssh from my (ubuntu - running X) laptop.

cookiecruncher
September 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
What I have done just for the hell of it is to get my wife to monitor my KDE desktop, and, while remotely logged in via SSH, issue 'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop' and she immediately phones me up and says 'hey, your screen shut down and changed to text'.

:twisted:

Thats the closest I've got to non-X usage.

sunchiqua
September 14th, 2009, 02:22 PM
CLI versions are for servers, not desktop PC's at home ( answer: no, all my machines are running w/ X ). Let me guess .. I'm not a geek ?

binbash
September 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Browsing the web without a good browser does not make you a GEEK.

Bachstelze
September 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Browsing the web without a good browser does not make you a GEEK.

Define "good".

MelDJ
September 14th, 2009, 03:02 PM
i ran minix on my old computer without x and just stared at it as i did not know what to do next. does that meak me a linux geek?:lolflag:

Eisenwinter
September 14th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I do use X, most of the time I have it running, although most of the programs I use are text-based (Irssi, rtorrent, cmus, etc...), so if I only want to torrent a file for example, I don't start X, since I can do it in CLI with rtorrent.

hellion0
September 14th, 2009, 04:42 PM
My Thinkpad runs without X, except in emergencies. For those extremely rare cases, it has an install of LXDE set to roll.

As for browsing, I use elinks.

petrus4
September 14th, 2009, 04:46 PM
CLI versions are for servers, not desktop PC's at home

Sure, if bloatware is something you enjoy. Know about cplay (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/01/howto-use-cplay-like-a-pro/) + mpg321 for mp3s?

Mplayer can use the framebuffer from the console for video playback, as well.

Truthfully, although I use X, Firefox and the ability to cut and paste between Eterms are the only two reasons why.

I must say, however, that the results of this poll are encouraging. It seems that there are a few people here at least, who are in rehab as far as the GUI addiction is concerned. That is cause for optimism.

Simian Man
September 14th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Every now and then I log in to init3 when I am on limited battery power and just want to program, but X is so much nicer just to have multiple transparent terminal emulators - if for nothing else.

RiceMonster
September 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Sure, if bloatware is something you enjoy. Know about cplay (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/05/01/howto-use-cplay-like-a-pro/) + mpg321 for mp3s?

Graphics = bloatware? Give me a break.

jondkent
September 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Dunno why you want to lose X. How could I run multiple xterms easily, and work on multiple servers without it? Screen? I don't think so:P

sunchiqua
September 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Mplayer can use the framebuffer from the console for video playback, as well.

Truthfully, although I use X, Firefox and the ability to cut and paste between Eterms are the only two reasons why.

I must say, however, that the results of this poll are encouraging. It seems that there are a few people here at least, who are in rehab as far as the GUI addiction is concerned. That is cause for optimism.

I'm not addicted to GUI - I always have several tty's running in background and I don't mind working with command line interface, but when it comes to speed and ease of use, GUI is a must ( ref. @ sig - 'people have different needs' ).

blueturtl
September 14th, 2009, 05:46 PM
screen - manage multiple text mode applications on one virtual terminal
moc - will play mp3, ogg & flac, with playlists, detachable front-end, etc.
links2 - browse the net in text mode, or even with graphics without X
irssi - chat on IRC in text mode
centerim-utf8 - text mode instant messenger (MSN, Jabber, Yahoo..!)
rtorrent - p2p downloads and uploads via text mode
wodim/cdrecord - what your fancy GUI front-ends use to really burn CDs
mplayer - also plays video on the command line
mutt - email from the command line
fbi - view pictures from the command line
camE - use your web camera from the command line
htop - manage your processes via the command line
mc - a text mode dual pane file manager with ftp support, plus many many more features
nano/emacs - edit simple text files on the command line
latex - write documents that look more professional than anything OO or MSOffice produces, from the command line...

This is just from the top of my hat. Who needs X, seriously? ;)

pw_f100_220
September 14th, 2009, 06:11 PM
i boot into cli, (Fluxbox away!) but eventually i need pictures from a graphical web browser, or watch a movie (don't have cable). not much of an "eye-candy" thing, just a media thing. and i don't know how to keep mplayer playing a song in the background. the ease of multiple terminals on screen is good, too.

plus, i can't figure out how to switch left control and caps in the cli on boot, which gets frustrating. i hope to increase my time spent in cli, though

sunchiqua
September 14th, 2009, 06:15 PM
i boot into cli, (Fluxbox away!) but eventually i need pictures from a graphical web browser, or watch a movie (don't have cable). not much of an "eye-candy" thing, just a media thing. and i don't know how to keep mplayer playing a song in the background. the ease of multiple terminals on screen is good, too.

plus, i can't figure out how to switch left control and caps in the cli on boot, which gets frustrating. i hope to increase my time spent in cli, though

Not sure about the syntax for mplayer, but the last sign will let you *hide* it.

mplayer /directory &

** Haven't used mplayer, so .. not even sure about how it works.

RiceMonster
September 14th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Dunno why you want to lose X. How could I run multiple xterms easily, and work on multiple servers without it? Screen? I don't think so:P

dvtm

Exodist
September 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM

Alt f1, Alt f2, Alt f3, etc.. etc..

subdivision
September 14th, 2009, 06:36 PM
If I'm booting up my laptop for the sole purpose of logging into IRC, or I just want to run a quick update, I'll forgo X. Otherwise I use it.

Wim Sturkenboom
September 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM
I don't consider myself a geek and use commandline-only on my server. Graphical stuff is installed because it easier to install that than to figure out what you need for GD.

tcoffeep
September 14th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I tried to go a month X-free, but I only lasted a week. I used elinks for my browser, irssi as my IRC client, screen to manage my terminals, htop for my process viewer and Finch for my IM client. I don't listen to much music on my computer, so I didn't need that.

frenchn00b
September 17th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I mean, for those geeks of the command line, arent you missing some non X applications?
there is so few, rest is mostly daemon, server, and their tuning/configuring, no?

Tipped OuT
September 17th, 2009, 01:16 AM
"Are you a Linux geek"

No.

"using Linux without X?"

No.

kk0sse54
September 17th, 2009, 01:25 AM

Actually there is a screen vertical splitch patch that lets you tile screen. Otherwise like someone already mentioned there's dvtm too.

As for the OP, I've run linux without X with framebuffer support numerous times as all my apps depending on my setup are CLI anyways. Usually though unless I'm really really lazy, I'll start up X with dwm or scrotwm as it requires minimal effort and overhead.

I mean, for those geeks of the command line, arent you missing some non X applications? No

MasterNetra
September 17th, 2009, 01:33 AM
If I wanted to play without the GUI I probably would of picked up FreeDOS honestly.

I mean, for those geeks of the command line, arent you missing some non X applications?
there is so few, rest is mostly daemon, server, and their tuning/configuring, no?
Why would they be? Just because the programs don't use X doesn't mean they can't be used in it. I mean they would be/are runnable in a terminal window.

Tipped OuT
September 17th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Actually there is a screen vertical splitch patch that lets you tile screen. Otherwise like someone already mentioned there's dvtm too.

As for the OP, I've run linux without X with framebuffer support numerous times as all my apps depending on my setup are CLI anyways. Usually though unless I'm really really lazy, I'll start up X with dwm or scrotwm as it requires minimal effort and overhead.

Well that must be an exciting desktop. Text. Wow. :lolflag:

kk0sse54
September 17th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Well that must be an exciting desktop. Text. Wow. :lolflag:

It's not all text at all, that's what framebuffer is for. I doubt you could produce anything much better but then again personal reality is all based upon perception of an outside environment. What you might see as ugly, another might see as productive and efficient ;)

Whiffle
September 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Viewing PDF files, word docs (with pictures) and excel spreadsheets isn't very easy in a terminal.

Also some of the apps I work with (ex Modelsim, Xilinx ISE), don't run very well in a cli.

But I do use the terminal alot, if that counts.

zer010
September 17th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I guess I'm no Lgeek. Since I'm new to Linux and not a legacy user, I honestly don't have the time to sit and while-away the hours learning all kinds of app-specific commands. Between work and family, I barely even have time to peruse these forums.

dragos240
September 17th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Partially. I am setting up archlinux on my desktop, so for now, there is no X.

t0p
September 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Both my computers boot into X. I usually have 1 or 2 x-terms open though, for wvdial, apt-get and wget.

Sometimes, when I use my BackTrack 4 usb, I don't bother starting X. There are a few cli apps I use - aircrack-ng and its cronies for instance. But I usually want wireshark, so up comes the gui again. And nano's all well and good, but I prefer a text editor with a mouse pointer. How do you cut, copy and paste in a cli-based text editor anyway?

EDIT: I dunno why I posted that last question. There's me with the sig that tells everyone to use Google, then I ask something that Google could tell me in a trice. Did tell me in a trice, in fact. Voila! (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/nano-basics-guide.xml)

Tipped OuT
September 17th, 2009, 02:30 AM
It's not all text at all, that's what framebuffer is for. I doubt you could produce anything much better but then again personal reality is all based upon perception of an outside environment. What you might see as ugly, another might see as productive and efficient ;)

Yeah, yeah, I understand what you mean. I'm just saying, text isn't my cup of tea... reminds me of class work. [-o<

Exershio
September 17th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I mostly use nano to edit configuration files, and I install programs via command line, but that's about it. I prefer the convenience of a graphical desktop.

Plus, I play a lot of games. :D

frenchn00b
September 17th, 2009, 05:34 AM
If I wanted to play without the GUI I probably would of picked up FreeDOS honestly.

Why would they be? Just because the programs don't use X doesn't mean they can't be used in it. I mean they would be/are runnable in a terminal window.

you understood wrong.
I havent Xorg installed, no xfree, nothin, with a 1gb machine only. I meant there is not much good apps for No - x.

You need always a gtk, often :(

Dr Belka
September 17th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I use elinks as my internet broswer when I don't use X

HappyFeet
September 17th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Graphics = bloatware? Give me a break.

I know, funny.

Why the hell would I take a killer computer with quad core cpu, 4gb ram, nice video card, and not run X?

ynnhoj
September 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Why the hell would I take a killer computer with quad core cpu, 4gb ram, nice video card, and not run X?
what do you do on your computer that requires 4gb of memory? :o (please don't think i'm criticizing---i'm just curious! i was also hassling a friend of mine earlier today for buying a laptop with ridiculous specs :P)

as for the original question: i rarely go without X. i used to only start X sometimes on my old laptop, because it was quite old and had some performance problems. but now i have a decent setup; X doesn't eat up much memory.

Exershio
September 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
what do you do on your computer that requires 4gb of memory? :o (please don't think i'm criticizing---i'm just curious! i was also hassling a friend of mine earlier today for buying a laptop with ridiculous specs :P)

as for the original question: i rarely go without X. i used to only start X sometimes on my old laptop, because it was quite old and had some performance problems. but now i have a decent setup; X doesn't eat up much memory.

On my windows machine I do a lot of music production. It's not uncommon to have 6gb of samples loaded into RAM at one time. Of course, if I had more RAM, I'd probably have another 4gb of samples loaded as well. ;)

~sHyLoCk~
September 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
try installing gentoo. You will have to spend hours in CLI before you even get any GUI. ;)

purgatori
September 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM
screen - manage multiple text mode applications on one virtual terminal
moc - will play mp3, ogg & flac, with playlists, detachable front-end, etc.
links2 - browse the net in text mode, or even with graphics without X
irssi - chat on IRC in text mode
centerim-utf8 - text mode instant messenger (MSN, Jabber, Yahoo..!)
rtorrent - p2p downloads and uploads via text mode
wodim/cdrecord - what your fancy GUI front-ends use to really burn CDs
mplayer - also plays video on the command line
mutt - email from the command line
fbi - view pictures from the command line
camE - use your web camera from the command line
htop - manage your processes via the command line
mc - a text mode dual pane file manager with ftp support, plus many many more features
nano/emacs - edit simple text files on the command line
latex - write documents that look more professional than anything OO or MSOffice produces, from the command line...

This is just from the top of my hat. Who needs X, seriously? ;)

Those who can't get framebuffer video to work with mplayer? :P If it wasn't for that, I'd probably ditch X. As it is, I run wmii with a heap of terminals, and the only thing I use a GUI for is web browsing.

ubongo2008
September 17th, 2009, 11:16 AM
well i do most of my suff @ tty1 if that also counts ... but i having an hard time to watch tv with just tty output ...:) and links or links2 or w3m doesn't really replace ff

blueturtl
September 17th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Those who can't get framebuffer video to work with mplayer? :P If it wasn't for that, I'd probably ditch X. As it is, I run wmii with a heap of terminals, and the only thing I use a GUI for is web browsing.

Good point. A lot of the time you tend to use the command line when the system is really old (and thus running X is not a good idea), but then again such an old system probably won't efficiently decode video anyway, at least not without hardware acceleration and I don't know if you'd find that on a framebuffer device.

However MPlayer has very extensive output options. I currently use the Matrox backend, since I have a Matrox video card and the performance is great.

I too do run X (at least on rig #1), but with mostly terminal apps inside it. I confess I like running Firefox and a graphical IM client.
But having used a really old system (rig #2) I now feel completely confident that life without X isn't really a problem -- merely an adjustment.

I think it's a journey every serious Linux user should make. Get to know the possibilities of command line only. You will find a whole new appreciation of Linux's versatility and even if you don't stay, X will be all the more shiny when you get back to it. ;)

dagoth_pie
September 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Well, seeing as due to being short of cash I've had to sell my computer and fall back to my old system (a bit less than half the power of my signature), I actually got into a regular habbit of shutting down X to run games, just to suck that extra bit of performance out of the system. But then again, I can't help myself from tinkering...

sim-value
September 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Yes !

I love SSH to my Server :P

frenchn00b
September 18th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Yes !

I love SSH to my Server :P

you are using screen, twin, or dvtm?

nothingspecial
September 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I use the cli all the time, for most things. But I have X running.

2 workspaces.

ff on one

screen + dvtm on the other

ChrT
September 18th, 2009, 01:24 PM
This is ridiculous. Just running Linux without X doesn't make you a geek, nor does it necessarily help you learn about GNU/Linux at all. With that said, one of my homeserver boxes is running without x, and my netbook is running a basic arch install with awesome-dm that acts as a terminal multiplexer most of the time (the only non-CLI app I've got on it is uzbl, the web browser).

Removing your file manager (mc included) and graphical process managers is a lot more efficient way to learn about bash than removing x alltogether.

Tipped OuT
September 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM
This is ridiculous. Just running Linux without X doesn't make you a geek...

Well I don't know any body who is capable of running a Linux box by just using CLI that is not a geek.

ChrT
September 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Well I don't know any body who is capable of running a Linux box by just using CLI that is not a geek.

I know, and using bash alone does require a certain level of knowledge (or the ability to paste from tutorials), but I'm just saying the "look at me, I don't use X, l33t lenucks hax0rr lulz" attitude is dumb.

There's nothing you can do without X that you can't do in X with two terminal windows :P

fela
September 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I use Debian Lenny on my home server without X installed. Might install a simple window manager on it though.

First priority for that is compiling a custom server kernel though.

fela
September 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM

I don't count myself as a geek but I don't use the GUI much for any serious task even on my desktop running KDE.

On my server I haven't found any need for a GUI whatsoever yet.

Maybe it's just that I've dedicated alot of time to learning bash (sort of happened automatically though after using it for a while).

RiceMonster
September 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM
I don't count myself as a geek... I've dedicated alot of time to learning bash

statements not compatible

fela
September 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I think it's a journey every serious Linux user should make. Get to know the possibilities of command line only. You will find a whole new appreciation of Linux's versatility and even if you don't stay, X will be all the more shiny when you get back to it. ;)

It was the other way round for me. I stayed in the nice CLI for ages and slowly made my way up to the massive, bloated KDE desktop that I have now (it doesn't matter, you'll see when you look at my PC speks :P).

Seriously, I don't know what all the fuss is with the CLI. It's so much easier to use than most GUIs, why does everyone seem to think it's the other way round?

Why?

Tipped OuT
September 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Yeah... #-o

fela
September 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah... #-o

So would you say that you have to be a geek to dedicate time to learning how to use the GIMP, or learning about Shakespeare?

RiceMonster
September 18th, 2009, 02:24 PM
So would you say that you have to be a geek to dedicate time to learning how to use the GIMP, or learning about Shakespeare?

By that logic, nobody is a geek. Who then would be a geek by your definition?

I don't know what kind of non-geek would have a Linux server and take the time to learn bash.

Tipped OuT
September 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM

I don't know what kind of non-geek would have a Linux server and take the time to learn bash.

+1

I mean, think of the real world. I wouldn't imagine being able to go up to random people on the street, heading to work, and talk about Linux.... bash, CLI, what ever you want to call it...

They would look at me as if I were crazy. :lolflag:

sunchiqua
September 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM

What about those people who use command line tools, manage a few servers and don't really care about it ? I mean, managing your own server is cheaper than hiring someone .. knowing the basics of bash and Linux administration makes you a geek ? :-s

slakkie
September 18th, 2009, 03:25 PM
As a server, what else? Playing with Linux without X for daily usage is insane.

fela
September 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
What about those people who use command line tools, manage a few servers and don't really care about it ? I mean, managing your own server is cheaper than hiring someone .. knowing the basics of bash and Linux administration makes you a geek ? :-s

+1. My definition of a geek is someone who loves bash for the sake of loving bash, for instance. I love bash and learnt it because it allows much easier administration of my server and other computers. Why do I have and operate my own Linux server? To run several programs accross our home network such as media sharing, downloading, file storing etc.

I might be a bit of a geek (yes I do love computers - although I don't really think of myself as a geek) but the fact that I know bash and operate my own Linux server is nothing to do with it.

fela
September 18th, 2009, 05:31 PM
+1

I mean, think of the real world. I wouldn't imagine being able to go up to random people on the street, heading to work, and talk about Linux.... bash, CLI, what ever you want to call it...

They would look at me as if I were crazy. :lolflag:

If you knew alot about shakespeare and went up to someone and started talking about shakespeare, do you think they would say you're a shakespeare nerd?

blur xc
September 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Different definitions of geek- what's missing is the prefix-

On these forums the term geek is usually understood as computer geek- but you can have photo geeks, Shakespeare geeks, etc... I guess it could be used ot describe anything intellectual that someone obsesses over.

BM

SomeGuyDude
September 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I'm seriously going to start calling you all posers unless you built Linux From Scratch. Gentoo? Slack? Wimps.

chris200x9
September 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I had trouble setting up X in arch on my laptop so I said screw it and used it for a couple weeks cli only until I decided to actually read the wiki :P

sunchiqua
September 18th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I'm seriously going to start calling you all posers unless you built Linux From Scratch. Gentoo? Slack? Wimps.

Even if you would have your own Linux-kind distribution, I would call you a programmer, not a geek. As far as it's not an obsession, you are not even a poser.

RiceMonster
September 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Pfft, you're the real poseur. Real geeks write their own OS.

SomeGuyDude
September 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Even if you would have your own Linux-kind distribution, I would call you a programmer, not a geek. As far as it's not an obsession, you are not even a poser.

Linux From Scratch is actually its own thing. Sort of. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

I just laugh so hard at people who act like you aren't a "real Linux user" unless you do all your navigation in binary. As though the less graphical and more unintuitive it is the better it is for no reason beyond it looks geeky.

sunchiqua
September 18th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Linux From Scratch is actually its own thing. Sort of. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Have dealt with it a while ago :p

moster
September 18th, 2009, 08:05 PM

haha, what?!

What are then windows users? Is there even a suitable name?

sunchiqua
September 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
haha, what?!

What are then windows users? Is there even a suitable name?

Curious about your status/category ? :)

moster
September 18th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Curious about your status/category ? :)
Brad, be careful. :D

koleoptero
September 18th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm a linux geek, using linux with X.

chefbodini
September 18th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I run both versions... server with no head and a laptop for my desktop. I can't imagine running a desktop system without a window system... Reminds me of the MSDOS 3.x days! :eek:

K.Mandla
September 19th, 2009, 12:17 AM
If I may reply ... I use both X and framebuffer/console systems, depending on the computer. For this one (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/hardware#Thinkpad), a text-only, framebuffer system is a huge improvement over X, mostly because of the overhead of Xorg, and the fact that the last time I used X, the siliconmotion driver was sketchy at best.

On the other hand, this machine (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/hardware#FMV-5120) is far slower and older, but I rely on an outdated version of X (7.3) because there is no framebuffer support. X weighs in at only 1Mb, I run only console applications inside an exceedingly lightweight window manager, and I get the added bonus of increased screen real estate. Ideally I would rely on screen-vs and an 800x600 resolution on the framebuffer, but if the hardware isn't prepared to do that, then this is preferable to me.

For anyone who's interested ...

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/quit-x-screen-vs-is-more-fun/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/05/05/at-long-last-a-console-screensaver/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/screen-and-dvtm-and-screen-and-dvtm-and/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/best-of-both-worlds-twin/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/noteworthy-linux-console-fonts/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/on-the-menu/

Sorry if it seems like I'm spamming my own blog -- tacky, I know. This is something I am rather passionate about though. :D

Tipped OuT
September 19th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Pfft, you're the real poseur. Real geeks write their own OS.

lol Rock on man.

toupeiro
September 19th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Real linux geeks find a way to get paid to be linux geeks every day and never work a day in their lives.

Tipped OuT
September 19th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Real linux geeks find a way to get paid to be linux geeks every day and never work a day in their lives.

No, those are sell outs. :lolflag:

toupeiro
September 19th, 2009, 01:50 AM
No, those are sell outs. :lolflag:

pfft say what you want. I get paid to work on systems running linux doing things I could never do at home. :P consider me sold. Not to mention, I bet a good deal of your "sell outs" write or contribute to a lot of the FOSS you're using today because they get paid to do what they love, and can afford to contribute their efforts to projects without monetary compensation.

rajcan
September 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Whenever I would use DSL I would always use the command line, and I found Lynx to be a very nice command line web browser. I also found FreeBSD to be rather nice, it runs from command line by default unless you install X. I never got to test X on it though seeing as I was using it in VBox.

Mulenmar
September 19th, 2009, 09:43 AM
It all depends on what X is equal to. :lolflag:

Personally, the only two applications I use that require an Xserver are OpenOffice Writer and a web browser like Arora (+ Midori or Firefox when I want Flash videos). (The text mode browsers donīt like letting me log into anything, most of the time, neither does Links2 -g, and w3m-img is a bit of a pain, in my estamation.

Other than that, most of the apps I use are all console-based. Kudos to K. Mandla and his blog for being great resources for us minimalists! \\:D/\\:D/\\:D/

Duncan J Murray
September 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
What is X?

fela
September 19th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Different definitions of geek- what's missing is the prefix-

On these forums the term geek is usually understood as computer geek- but you can have photo geeks, Shakespeare geeks, etc... I guess it could be used ot describe anything intellectual that someone obsesses over.

BM

Except I didn't obsess over learning bash. It just came naturally out of using it for a while and following tutorials (don't need 'em no more for most tasks). Maybe I just have a good memory for things like that.

fela
September 19th, 2009, 10:18 AM
What is X?

X, aka X.org aka X11, is the driving force behind pretty much all Linux graphical user interfaces.

fela
September 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I can think of a mac geek who does that.

lisati
September 19th, 2009, 10:26 AM
The laptop I'm currently using is currently running X, mainly because it suits me to have a GUI running at the moment, and X for Linux has been round long enough to have developed a decent amount of stability and usability.

scragar
September 19th, 2009, 10:30 AM
[scragar @ sbox working in ~]
$ cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
#
# All the stuff here got moved into /boot/grub/MenuCarp
#

title Arch Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/a28eabe1-9088-4e13-9d6f-6f082b79e17e ro
initrd /kernel26.img

title Arch Linux(Command Line)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/a28eabe1-9088-4e13-9d6f-6f082b79e17e ro 3
initrd /kernel26.img

title Arch Linux Failsafe
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/a28eabe1-9088-4e13-9d6f-6f082b79e17e ro
initrd /kernel26-fallback.img

[scragar @ sbox working in ~]
$ I have to admit most of the time I use X, but that's because I find it easier, I still do most of my things from a terminal, but I enjoy being able to see multiple windows working at once way too much to give up X completely.

Exodist
September 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM

"Geek" is such a relative term. Just because someone has become accustomed to using the CLI doesnt really make them a geek. They may think someone who knows more then them is a geek. Its all relative.

I can get around the CLI with ease. But with a AMD64 X2 6000+ CPU, 4GB DDR800, 2x WD Raptor 10000RPM 74GB Hard Drives, ATI Radeon4850 and a SB Audigy2. I think I would be crazy not to run a GUI.:guitar:

fela
September 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
I have to admit most of the time I use X, but that's because I find it easier, I still do most of my things from a terminal, but I enjoy being able to see multiple windows working at once way too much to give up X completely.

Feels good to admit it :) Come on it's alright, you can use X. GUIs are a tool; I don't have one on my server because it's unnecessary, I have one on my desktop because it makes day-to-day computer usage much easier, I can even run a terminal or multiple terminals from within my GUI if I want, with konsole or any other terminal emulator.

"Geek" is such a relative term. Just because someone has become accustomed to using the CLI doesnt really make them a geek. They may think someone who knows more then them is a geek. Its all relative.

Thank you. Although I do know more about Linux than anyone I know, which makes me feel like a bit of a geek. I don't really like the term 'geek' though - I prefer tech-head! :lolflag:

frenchn00b
September 19th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Feels good to admit it :) Come on it's alright, you can use X. GUIs are a tool; I don't have one on my server because it's unnecessary, I have one on my desktop because it makes day-to-day computer usage much easier, I can even run a terminal or multiple terminals from within my GUI if I want, with konsole or any other terminal emulator.

Thank you. Although I do know more about Linux than anyone I know, which makes me feel like a bit of a geek. I don't really like the term 'geek' though - I prefer tech-head! :lolflag:

like me , :) glad to read, my server has no X too.
What for do we need X, the console is faster and you can do way more things (admin things)

frenchn00b
September 19th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I have to admit:

this is real geek http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/more-lightweight-diversions/

aalib to play quake ;) ;)

Tipped OuT
September 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM

I can get around the CLI with ease. But with a AMD64 X2 6000+ CPU, 4GB DDR800, 2x WD Raptor 10000RPM 74GB Hard Drives, ATI Radeon4850 and a SB Audigy2. I think I would be crazy not to run a GUI.:guitar:

Dude, just by using Linux itself makes you a geek. Being able to say the exact specs of your computer makes you a geek. Being on these forums makes you a geeks (shall I go on?).

Like it or not, this is how society sees you. Regardless whether or not you really are a geek.

Someone in denial?

K.Mandla
September 19th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I have to admit:

this is real geek http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/more-lightweight-diversions/

aalib to play quake ;) ;)
I'll take that as a compliment. :D

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/six-months-without-x/

frenchn00b
September 20th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I'll take that as a compliment. :D

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/six-months-without-x/

@mandla: look this, it's also pretty far in informatic, ie geek, with or without X here (http://www.homebrewcpu.com/photo_gallery.htm)

markp1989
September 20th, 2009, 07:50 AM
i do have X installed on my server/torrentslave/media pc to play vids on my tv, but i do all my configuring etc over ssh

frenchn00b
September 20th, 2009, 11:11 AM
If I may reply ... I use both X and framebuffer/console systems, depending on the computer. For this one (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/hardware#Thinkpad), a text-only, framebuffer system is a huge improvement over X, mostly because of the overhead of Xorg, and the fact that the last time I used X, the siliconmotion driver was sketchy at best.

On the other hand, this machine (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/hardware#FMV-5120) is far slower and older, but I rely on an outdated version of X (7.3) because there is no framebuffer support. X weighs in at only 1Mb, I run only console applications inside an exceedingly lightweight window manager, and I get the added bonus of increased screen real estate. Ideally I would rely on screen-vs and an 800x600 resolution on the framebuffer, but if the hardware isn't prepared to do that, then this is preferable to me.

For anyone who's interested ...

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/05/21/quit-x-screen-vs-is-more-fun/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/05/05/at-long-last-a-console-screensaver/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/03/24/screen-and-dvtm-and-screen-and-dvtm-and/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/09/15/best-of-both-worlds-twin/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/08/24/noteworthy-linux-console-fonts/
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/on-the-menu/

Sorry if it seems like I'm spamming my own blog -- tacky, I know. This is something I am rather passionate about though. :D

have you tried ?
cplay
zgv
mplayer-nogui (I am sure) ;)

How did you make it this sort of taskbar at the bottom of you monitor here: http://omploader.org/vMXA3MA

the big question is how did you make mplayer running into dvtm ? http://omploader.org/vMXBsMA

K.Mandla
September 20th, 2009, 12:10 PM
have you tried ?
cplay
zgv
mplayer-nogui (I am sure) ;)
Yes. cplay I liked, but moc (http://moc.daper.net/) is better for me. zgv is okay, but I like fim (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15407) best.

I compile my own version of mplayer that only supports framebuffer output, which makes it considerably lighter and faster.

How did you make it this sort of taskbar at the bottom of you monitor here: http://omploader.org/vMXA3MA
That's screen running with the vertical split patch. The "taskbar" is screen's hardstatus line.

the big question is how did you make mplayer running into dvtm ? http://omploader.org/vMXBsMA
That's screen again, actually. mplayer will paint the video image in the upper left corner of the framebuffer like that. Knowing where it will fall, I just partitioned that portion of the screen off, and used the outside area for other programs.

;)

Dedoimedo
September 20th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Home X, Work Y ...
Dedoimedo

frenchn00b
September 20th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Yes. cplay I liked, but moc (http://moc.daper.net/) is better for me. zgv is okay, but I like fim (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15407) best.

I compile my own version of mplayer that only supports framebuffer output, which makes it considerably lighter and faster.

That's screen running with the vertical split patch. The "taskbar" is screen's hardstatus line.

That's screen again, actually. mplayer will paint the video image in the upper left corner of the framebuffer like that. Knowing where it will fall, I just partitioned that portion of the screen off, and used the outside area for other programs.

;)
wow
thanks

here my .screenrc , very simple, for the screen taskbar:

hardstatus alwayslastline "Host: %H %c %D-%M-%Y: Load: %l task: %w"

--
fim
needs /dev/fb0 directfb from the kernel
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=15407

Exodist
September 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Dude, .....

Someone in denial?

I prefer Humble! :lolflag:

init1
September 20th, 2009, 02:00 PM
No, but I have before. I do most things on command line, but I like having a graphical web browser.

frenchn00b
September 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
No, but I have before. I do most things on command line, but I like having a graphical web browser.

I think that elinks -g via sdl / directfb, without Xorg should be possible, for surfing

frenchn00b
September 20th, 2009, 06:31 PM
btw does someone knows an alternative to skype, that has alsa + video support, for the non-gui, non X ?

@ MANDLA:
OHPHONE will help geeks, that use console instead of X.
Any ideas how to configure it, to do calls with alsa + video?:popcorn::popcorn:
#
should we tunnel it trhough SSH ? which port , 7000?

$ ohphone -l

OhPhone Version 1.4.5 by Open H323 Project on Unix Linux (2.6.26-2-686-i686)

Incoming channel port ranges 5000 to 5999
Local username: frenchn00b
TerminateOnHangup is 0
Auto answer is 0
DialAfterHangup is 0
FastStart is 1
H245Tunnelling is 1
SilenceSupression is 1
H245InSetup is 1
Jitter buffer: 50-250 ms
Connect port: 1720

Video receive disabled

Video transmit disabled

No sound devices available!
OhPhone ended.

how can we make it with alsa?

ok
port 1720

apt-get install ohphone

SERVER LISTENING:

ohphone -ln
it has ip 192.169.0.100

CLIENT:

ohphone -n 192.169.0.100

the server does Yes !! it works!!
Simple

Questions:
1/ how can ekiga windows call to OHPHONE??

sip:192.169.0.100
not working

2/ I havent any sound
how to enable USB to use my USB mic

some are using ?? http://www.svgalib.org/svgalib.user.faq.html

apt-get install libggi-target-fbdev

Code:

rm -f /dev/fb0autodetect
rm -f /dev/fb1
mknod /dev/fb1 c 29 1
chmod 666 /dev/fb1

rifak
September 20th, 2009, 06:44 PM
when im sitting in class and typing notes, i dont use X since it's a lot brighter and i dont want to bother other people in the lecture hall...and it's a lot less battery intensive so i never have to worry about finding a power supply in the room. but besides that, i always use X when im at home or anywhere else.

Tipped OuT
September 20th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I prefer Humble! :lolflag:

lol Nice one.