PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Quick startup script -which one is faster?

froggyswamp
September 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Folks,
I need to create a script that connects to say localhost:9898 and sends a string, if there's nobody listening then start a given executable (a Java file manager for those interested) instead with that string as param.

Since this is to run on Ubuntu, best options are (I think) either a bash or a python script.

Question is, how do you think, which script will startup _and_ execute faster: python or bash?

(I don't know either bash nor python.)

Habbit
September 13th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Folks,
I need to create a script that connects to say localhost:9898 and sends a string, if there's nobody listening then start a given executable (a Java file manager for those interested) instead with that string as param.

Since this is to run on Ubuntu, best options are (I think) either a bash or a python script.

Question is, how do you think, which script will startup _and_ execute faster: python or bash?

(I don't know either bash nor python.)

If you can use standard utilities like telnet, then probably a _sh_ (not bash, but sh, which in ubuntu means dash, a small performance-oriented POSIX shell) script will be faster than a full-fledged python script, but YMMV... Do both and time them ;)

froggyswamp
September 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks,
I can't do "both" because I don't know either, only Java, so based on feedback I'll choose which one to learn and then implement. Basically since connecting to a socket and sending a small string on localhost should happen in a blink of an eye, I think in the end it all boils down to "does an sh script start faster then a python one?" and, is the difference bigger than half a second or not. If the difference is under half a second then I'm going with python.

falconindy
September 14th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Shell scripts will always be faster than loading extra libraries to run another language. Will the difference between shell and python be noticeable enough for you to care? Probably not.

linkmaster03
September 14th, 2009, 12:49 AM
You won't notice the difference. I'd do it in Python. This will probably work if you just need precisely what you explained in the first post:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import socket
import subprocess

string = 'data'
program = '/path/to/java_file_manager'

chat = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
try:
chat.connect(('localhost', 9898))
chat.send(string)
print('Sent data successfully!')
except socket.error:
subprocess.Popen(program, shell=True)
print('Couldn\'t send data, started program instead.')

Learn from it! :D

Habbit
September 14th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Doesn't AF_INET limit you to IPv4? Why not use the "I don't care" option (AF_UNSPEC, iIrc) instead?

linkmaster03
September 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM
I suppose you are right. I don't use IPv6 so it didn't occur to me. The topic creator can check out the socket docs (http://docs.python.org/library/socket.html) if they decide to use Python for this task and use IPv6. It seems a bit more complicated than using IPv4, so I won't modify the snippet above.

froggyswamp
September 14th, 2009, 01:05 AM
You won't notice the difference. I'd do it in Python. This will probably work if you just need precisely what you explained in the first post:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import socket
import subprocess

string = 'data'
program = '/path/to/java_file_manager'

chat = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
try:
chat.connect(('localhost', 9898))
chat.send(string)
print('Sent data successfully!')
except socket.error:
subprocess.Popen(program, shell=True)
print('Couldn\'t send data, started program instead.')

Learn from it! :D

wow! thank you very much!..