PDA

View Full Version : What OS did you use before Ubuntu?

afroman10496
September 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
just wanna know

nothingspecial
September 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
None, it was already on this stupid thing.

Ms_Angel_D
September 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
None, it was already on this stupid thing.

Well that doesn't sound like a very positive experience.

Tamalin
September 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Used ForeSight Linux briefly beforehand, but finally switched to get away from the many bugs...

nothingspecial
September 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Well that doesn't sound like a very positive experience.

It`s been a very positive experience :D

But every electronic possession of mine is prefixed with stupid.

Seems to me, a lot of people who take to linux compare it positively with windows. I have nothing to compare it with, so every computer problem I have ever had is linux`s fault (although if you look at my sig you`ll see I understand it`s mine). I`m just talking tongue in cheek.

I bought a laptop a while ago with windows preinstalled. I dual booted for about a week but I couldn`t figure windows out. I mean, I could a bit but, I couldn`t be bothered learning a new way of doing things, so I wiped it.

I am, infact, the linux version of those people who think they know alot about computers but can`t be bothered to learn a new os.
It`s just the other way round for me. I can see where they`re coming from. :D

hessiess
September 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Win XP, and i can see this getting moved to recurring discussions.

atomizer
September 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I Have used Gentoo and Windows before......
Gentoo now is a little project on an old apple G3, I like configuring a lot, but Ubuntu is the OS for me for daily use now.
It just works (most parts).
Still keep windows for gaming (and no, wine or virtualbox are not the anwser for gamers)

Ms_Angel_D
September 13th, 2009, 08:00 PM
It`s been a very positive experience :D

But every electronic possession of mine is prefixed with stupid.

Seems to me, a lot of people who take to linux compare it positively with windows. I have nothing to compare it with, so every computer problem I have ever had is linux`s fault (although if you look at my sig you`ll see I understand it`s mine). I`m just talking tongue in cheek.

I bought a laptop a while ago with windows preinstalled. I dual booted for about a week but I couldn`t figure windows out. I mean, I could a bit but, I couldn`t be bothered learning a new way of doing things, so I wiped it.

I am, infact, the linux version of those people who think they know alot about computers but can`t be bothered to learn a new os.
It`s just the other way round for me. I can see where they`re coming from. :D

Yeah electronics are stupid, but how they act is only a reflection of ourselves...lmao

SuperSonic4
September 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'll tell you when/if I ever use ubuntu

If we count ubuntu derivatives than I used Mandriva before Kubuntu

RabbitWho
September 13th, 2009, 08:11 PM
windows convert.

At this point i'm really really annoyed that I didn't find it sooner. I would have loved this when I was a teenager. I love it now.. but i had more time then!

toupeiro
September 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Before ubuntu, I was dual booting an SuSE/XP configuration. I previewed in a VM but I didn't actually start using ubuntu until 6.10. The day it released, in fact, was when I wiped suse off and started using ubuntu. Shortly after 7.04, I got rid of my XP partition and never had to go back.

Dharmachakra
September 13th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Well I started with Sabayon, I moved on to Fedora a short bit after, and Ubuntu followed a few months later.

aikiwolfie
September 13th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Yeah electronics are stupid, but how they act is only a reflection of ourselves...lmaoGood thing my PC is awesome then! :p

aikiwolfie
September 13th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Before switching to Ubuntu I was using Windows XP Professional as my main OS and messing around with openSuSE. I was also messing around with openSolaris. I had also used Red Hat Linux and Mandrake(?) in college years ago.

I like openSuSE. The installer was pretty awesome. It looked well polished and the admin tools were easy to use. Just a shame Yast could never seem to resolve RPM dependencies. Didn't matter what I tried to install. It just never worked.

So I went looking for something else and I found Ubuntu. I couldn't get it to install at first. Not even on an external HDD. I eventually figured out it was the Nvidia Stripe arrays cause the problems. My solution was quite simple. I disconnected them! :D

With that done I could install to the external HDD and give Ubuntu a proper test run before giving Windows the boot. I set my PC to boot from a USB device before the hard drives. That way I could reconnect all my hard drives and the PC would boot to Ubuntu any time the USB drive was switched on. All other times it would just boot to Windows as normal as though nothing had ever changed.

My PC now runs Ubuntu full time. :D

ctrlmd
September 14th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Opensuse

dragos240
September 14th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I used.... Windows. The thought of that OS makes me shiver.

mamamia88
September 14th, 2009, 03:05 AM
vista

spcwingo
September 14th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Puppy

MikeTheC
September 14th, 2009, 03:11 AM
The poll missed Mac OS X.

I've used *both* Mac OS and Mac OS X. In fact, I've had a Mac since 1986.

Incidentally, I've also used MS-DOS, AmigaOS, and Windows from 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.11 For Workgroups up through Winblows 7, and I've yet to see much improvement.

jrusso2
September 14th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Before Ubuntu I used most every major Linux distro, FreeBSD, BerkleyBSD, Solaris, SCO Unixware, Netware, BeOS, Windows 3, 3.1, 95, NT. 3.51 and 4.0 and DOS and Classic Mac.

tlarkin
September 14th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Started off as a Windows user in the mid 90s, late 90s dabbled in Slackware and SuSe 6.5 and Mac OS and Mac OS X.

Now, I would say I use my Mac the most, my Windows box second (but my Windows box runs a VM of Ubuntu) and really I mostly use Linux for file servers at home.

At work I run all Unix/OS X.

samjh
September 14th, 2009, 03:29 AM
In chronological order:

DOS
Mac (System 7 and older)
Windows
Solaris (before it was open-sourced)
Linux

I've used other ones like Atari, Commodore 64, etc., but not long enough to even remember them well.

mysteriousdarren
September 14th, 2009, 06:27 AM
WinXP since it first came out then got a cd from a buddy. I later went exclusively to Ubuntu after Xp just couldnt handle me. I fixed it weekly if not daily. I bought a System76 computer right before starting college. Im using Ubuntu exclusively, and loving it.

lisati
September 14th, 2009, 06:43 AM
I've used a few OSes in my time. At work, before I had my own computer, it was assorted flavours of MVS on IBM mainframes. I even had a chance to have a play on a Lisa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa) at one point, though the Lisas I've met subsequently would probably give me a clip round the ear for being cheeky and/or inappropriate.

My first x86-based machine had MS-DOS v3 on it, as did its successor. I was given a set of floppies for MS-DOS v5 but didn't use it much before the machine died.

Next machine ran Win98SE, then one with XP (currently dual-boot XP & Ubuntu Studio), then a laptop with XP.

Historical moment: discovered Ubuntu (Feisty), made it the main OS on the laptop. (XP since reinstalled and laptop given to a nephew for homework purposes)

New laptop, came with Vista Home Premium, currently dual-boot Vista & Ubuntu.

j7%<RmUg
September 14th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Windows XP, unfortunately.

LookTJ
September 14th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Windows XP Pro.

tlarkin
September 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I've used a few OSes in my time. At work, before I had my own computer, it was assorted flavours of MVS on IBM mainframes. I even had a chance to have a play on a Lisa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Lisa) at one point, though the Lisas I've met subsequently would probably give me a clip round the ear for being cheeky and/or inappropriate.

My first x86-based machine had MS-DOS v3 on it, as did its successor. I was given a set of floppies for MS-DOS v5 but didn't use it much before the machine died.

Next machine ran Win98SE, then one with XP (currently dual-boot XP & Ubuntu Studio), then a laptop with XP.

Historical moment: discovered Ubuntu (Feisty), made it the main OS on the laptop. (XP since reinstalled and laptop given to a nephew for homework purposes)

New laptop, came with Vista Home Premium, currently dual-boot Vista & Ubuntu.

That is pretty old school. I never really touched a Lisa before but one of my old clients at my hold job was a Mac head and he collected all the older Macs. He brought in a Lisa once (this was in 1999) and it booted up. I didn't fuss with it though.

misfitpierce
September 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Windows & Mac for me... Used both but never happier than I am with Ubuntu

lisati
September 14th, 2009, 07:22 AM
That is pretty old school. I never really touched a Lisa before but one of my old clients at my hold job was a Mac head and he collected all the older Macs. He brought in a Lisa once (this was in 1999) and it booted up. I didn't fuss with it though.

I didn't use the Lisa for my regular work, but had a snoop out of curiosity. I don't remember anyone else in the office actually using it either. This would have been about 1984 (give or take a year).

speedwell68
September 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
XP and then Vista for about 5 mins. I hated Vista the moment I bought my new laptop, so I ran Ubuntu from a Live CD for a day or two, made sure everything worked and I have never been back. I went in at the depend after never really using any Linux. 3 years later I am reasonably capable in Ubuntu. I have tried other distros but have stuck with Ubuntu. Linspire was awful, I plain didn't like OpenSuse, I have never got Mandriva to work and I didn't see the point in running Mint over Ubuntu.

Naiki Muliaina
September 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Mandriva, IMHO one of the first Linux's to get the Linux useable desktop / good looking desktop experience right. Before that (and it feels like and age now) windows and amiga.

The Jinx
September 15th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I went from Win95 > Win98SE > Win2k > SuSE > WinXP > Ubuntu > Win7 / Snow Leopard > Ubuntu

y6FgBn)~v
September 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
AmigaOS, MacOS, OS/2, and Windows.

the.dark.lord
September 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Windows(still use it) and OS X.

dawynn
September 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Wow -- I'm one of the few that used daddy Debian. Tried RedHat for awhile, back when rpm (at least as RH used it) wasn't very good at controlling dependencies. Debian's apt was far better.

I saw the wars about how to make the long release cycles much shorter. Soon after that war erupted, Ubuntu came in, implementing a couple of the main points from the battle. Namely:

1) Focus on fewer systems (Ubuntu focused primarily just on i386)
2) Limit the number of supported packages. Although Ubuntu repositories host most Debian packages, the *main* repository is much, much smaller.

Ubuntu has been a fantastic alternative to Debian, for i386 users. However, with an aging Athlon Classic machine, I'm now using derivatives for lighter computing. Xubuntu has failed (http://www.ethiopianreview.com/scitech/8444) in that regard -- looking forward to Lubuntu.

wojox
September 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Windows, as I thought that's what all computers ran. *brainwashed*

Swagman
September 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Amiga Os4 & Debian

with a smattering of Win 2kPro for purely NLE functions.

sunchiqua
September 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Windows > Debian > Ubuntu

marchwarden
September 15th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Early to mid nineties (High School) - Mac System 7/OS 8 (I think) and on the rare occasion Windows 3.1.

Late nineties to early noughties (Uni) Windows 98SE & NT4 (on a Novell Netware Network)

2002-2005 - Win XP

2005-2006 - Win XP and Mandriva

2006-2008 - Fedora and Win XP

2009 to now - Ubuntu, Win 7 RC, and Win XP

donchichi
September 15th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Was always a gamer/networking/work@home person, Windows was it for ease of use. I did try out a few other stuff Mandrake if I'm not mistaken some time back.

Coming to current times the price you pay for Windows and the requirements are horrendous. This swerved me back to the Linux path.

I'm just glad Ubuntu is not as hard as before with Mandrake and some previous versions of ubuntu in terms of software compatibility office productivity and normal stuff people use ie Youtube etc.

mysteriousdarren
September 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Was always a gamer/networking/work@home person, Windows was it for ease of use. I did try out a few other stuff Mandrake if I'm not mistaken some time back.

Coming to current times the price you pay for Windows and the requirements are horrendous. This swerved me back to the Linux path.

I'm just glad Ubuntu is not as hard as before with Mandrake and some previous versions of ubuntu in terms of software compatibility office productivity and normal stuff people use ie Youtube etc.

ya the prices are pretty high unless you are a student $30, its worth the price for certain ppl.

Hetor
September 22nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Windows XP, then had to switch to Vista. Used it for a month or two, then *snip* and installed Xubuntu.

Incendia
September 22nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Mandriva :]

Exodist
September 22nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
You dont have Slackware or even SuSE on the list..

Incendia
September 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
You dont have Slackware or even SuSE on the list...

Isn't SuSE Redhat-based?
Or am I being silly, haha. :]

RiceMonster
September 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
Isn't SuSE Redhat-based?

It uses rpm packaging, but it is not a redhat derivative. It's actually originally based on slackware

gjoellee
September 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I used Windows before I tried Ubuntu my first time. But I have been on maybe 15 other Linux operating systems as well. I am using Ubuntu again now because of some different issues with other distros.

The OS i used before Ubuntu this time was Arch Linux.

Exodist
September 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Isn't SuSE Redhat-based?

No it was based off Slack not long after Slack was released.

Take a look at this for list of linux distros and branches over the years (http://picasaweb.google.com/exodist2009/Distros#). Its a little out dated but I had it laying around in my hard drive.

Incendia
September 22nd, 2009, 06:58 PM
It uses rpm packaging, but it is not a redhat derivative. It's actually originally based on slackware

No it was based off Slack not long after Slack was released.

Take a look at this for list of linux distros and branches over the years (http://picasaweb.google.com/exodist2009/Distros#). Its a little out dated but I had it laying around in my hard drive.

Ahhh thanks :wink: